1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Creepytables Dryad open box

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Kimmo, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Kimmo A Fixture

My latest commission piece is this rather interesting bust from Creepytables out of Poland in 1/10 scale. They have a lot of stuff that is slightly out of the ordinary and worth a look. I need to test out my new camera as much as possible so I thought I'd show you what you get for 49 euros plus shipping direct from Creepytables here: https://creepytables.com/product/dryad/

The parts break down is fairly conventional with a one piece torso, separate head, a two piece skirt and some of the smaller details separate as well. I'd like to say molding and casting is flawless, but it isn't quite that. The details and textures are well defined and clean, however, my sample had quite a bit of flash and seams to clean up on the skirt, which in turn made fit an issue. I've started a blog you can follow here https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/dryad-creepytables.293265/. There are some other seams to deal with, but they will mostly be hidden so shouldn't cause too much concern. You do get a plinth with creeping vines, which is a nice addition.

P1010194.JPG

All this comes in a cardboard tube reminiscent of poster tubes, different and eye catching.

P1020222.JPG

A closer look at the components shows the pour tabs that need to be removed, most are easy enough to remove, some care will be needed though.

P1010195.JPG

P1010196.JPG

P1010198.JPG

P1010199.JPG

P1010200.JPG

P1010201.JPG

P1010203.JPG

P1010205.JPG

P1010206.JPG

P1010207.JPG

P1010212.JPG

P1010214.JPG

P1010209.JPG

P1010210.JPG

The sculpt is rather nice, a lot of interwoven leaves, tendrils and hair add interest and will take some time to paint properly. As a canvas, this certainly has many possibilities for colour schemes. My only slight quibble is that she is perhaps a bit bosom heavy, not grossly so as with other female figures, but certainly on the larger side. The facial features are delicate and to some, perhaps a bit plain. I don't mind this as there is so much going on visually, I don't think she really needs to be any more dramatic, for lack of a better word. The hedgehogs are a bit cartoonish, but work well with the way the leaves are done. The flowers are well done as is the bark texture on her arms. All in all, a nice piece although I wouldn't recommend this for beginners. There is a lot of detail and texture to paint, and the potential clean up and resultant fit issues might make this a bit too much to handle and still have fun, which is what this hobby is supposed to be about.

Kimmo
    Nap, Billy Dickinson, Perseas and 2 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Kimmo

That's a interesting piece you've looked at , done good details on it

Pics look good whats your camera ?

Look forward to following the V bench work

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
  3. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Nap! I'm lucky I have friends with interesting tastes. The camera is an Olympus E-PL8 or PEN 8 with a 14-42mm kit lens, a good entry level DSLR and I'm quite pleased with it so far. It's a good couple steps up from my Nikon 1 S1 which bit the dust, fortunately under warranty. For the price, I wouldn't complain if it was just as good as the Nikon was. Still learning what all the doodads do and whether I need to know what they do. Based on my limited use, I'd recommend it (or the newer models) to anyone if they're looking to get into a good beginner camera that shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

Kimmo