1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Creating a Dull Shine on a Painted Metal Object

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Larsen E. Whipsnade, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Forgive me if this has been covered before.

A trick I discovered while painting a ww1 figure. HIs helmet and his uniform needed to be the same color but the helmet required a dull metal (not metallic) shine while the uniform needed to be dead flat. A matte or gloss varnish overcoat will result in a helmet that's too shiny to be realistic.

I fooled around for awhile and then tried a top coat of AK Interactive's AK3091 ww1 German Uniform Base over a base coat of Vallejo's 72.057 Bright Bronze. The result gave me the dull metal shine I was looking for. I haven't tried it with other top coat colors but believe it should work for them as well.

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 1.15.17 PM.png
    Nap likes this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

Thanks for sharing this ....interesting to try ......another thought is to use the natural oils from the fingers , rubbing over tge top of the painted area ...sounds plausible

Happy benchtime

Nap