1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Crazy Experiment coming soon ! Heavy Water as Medium for Acrylics

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by CondeJulian, Aug 1, 2020.

1. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Hey Guys,

Just decided to start a crazy experiment with acrylics...

After obtaining surprising results with OX Gall Liquid (product made with a cow liver enzime) as a fluidity enhancer and paint retarder, especially in artistic paints, such as "Heavy Body" acrylics, I did some extensive research in Nuclear forums, and a couple of friends working Power Plants and I decided to use "Heavy Water" (Deuterium Oxide - D2O) as a diluting agent.

[IMG]

I have already started a topic in the Nuclear forum and gathered very rich information about its benefits as a painting medium, something that I think no one imagined specially in our hobby.
    The guys at the forum were very excited about the new possibilities, and even some brands of auxiliary products I talked to.

Heavy water is used as a Neutron Moderator in Nuclear Reactors and has 25% more fluidity, temperature and evaporation threshold, in addition to ultra-pure (99.9%) and many other benefits compared to "normal" water.
    Normal Water, even when distilled is below 85% purity and tap water is all over the place with bacteria, chemicals and stuff that makes paint behave strangely.

Chemically speaking, D2O is an isotope of normal H2O, with each of the deuterium atoms having one neutron while the normal hydrogen atoms have no neutrons. The extra neutrons make heavy water about up to 25 % denser than H2O, which can be seen when heavy water ice cubes sink in a glass of normal water.

[IMG]

It might according to research make it flow flawlessly on the brush, self levelling properties for brush work and open time might be improved, and since it's so pure and so chemically different it might be a universal retarder and flow improver for most acrylics, which today we don't have such product.
    I use VMS Slo-Mo Retarder for most acrylics, but Mission models and Art heavy body paints were better suited with Ox Gall Liquid.

It is as expensive as gold, but what about the cool factor to say that "I painted a model using Nuclear Reactor Water" ?
    I know, the same Water, but not AFTER it was contaminated by Uranium :cautious:.

While I see people pointing out cleaning products, floor polish, lighter fluid, plastering wall pastes, and so many absurd household products in our hobby, why not go against the grain and raise the bar by using real science with an extremely advanced product ?

I'll post news .... Already found a Lab near by. If I don't come back in a few weeks FBI got to me.

Best
    Julian
    Blind Pew, Airkid, NeilW and 2 others like this.
  2. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Umm.?

Nice piece of LIGHT reading.
    blaster and CondeJulian like this.
  3. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Why Not, right ?
    malc likes this.
  4. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Bring it on!....I am getting some of the newest discovered blue pigment yinmn blue...not quite in the same league tho
  5. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Very intrigued! Would love to learn how your experiment works.

Looks like the larger of the 2 bottles is $90 before shipping, so I don't think that it will replace distilled water for most of my painting, but maybe your experiment will reveal new benefits.

Now if it had a "Spiderman-like" effect and gave me painting superpowers that would be a whole different matter! ;)
  6. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Never mind, can't delete.
  7. Henkm Well-Known Member

Just to put a slight damper on some of the imaginations running wild here, I'd like to point out that deuterium is not itself radioactive. It is a completely stable isotope, so no spiderman-like events are to be expected. You also don't need a reactor to produce deuterium, it's natural abundance is a bit over 0.01%.
    CondeJulian and grasshopper like this.
  8. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Actually it’s very unlikely to make any difference in terms of wetting properties, retarding etc..zero..it’s a fun thing..there are all sorts of additives people swear by.dishsoap, windex...my new blue costs $90 for 37ml..so same entry ticket..it’s all about fun..
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Julian

Nuclear, Reactive, Heavy Water + modelling !!

Going to be following this closely wearing flash protection ...just incase ...lol

Look forward to your posts ...should be fun to try !

Happy ...and SAFE benchtime

Nap

image.jpeg
    kagemusha likes this.
  10. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    That is actually cheap, but since we can find jars with 10ml and 25ml, it's a "cheaper" test to make, but if it works, then the wallet will be hit.

I wish I could use contaminated water too, I would love to make fluorescent paints naturally :)
  11. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    According to research I made on nuclear forums (with lot's of people from the area) it might actually make a difference, specially when the test is water (pure or distilled) versus heavy water. 25% more fluidity, evaporation temperature and density can achieve results we can measure. We know our paints and any small difference in behaviour will be noticed.

I sure would pay extra if has benefits (over distilled water) because of cool factor. That is the fun part :)

The extra "weight" on the paint mix might produce interesting results when airbrushing... I have read some topics regarding vaporisation of heavy water in cleaning biological containers versus normal water, and reports says it behaves different, being more effective, it reaches the area with a higher velocity and weight.

Let's see what happens.
    blaster likes this.
  12. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Keep you goggles on !!

Thanks bud, it's all about having fun.
    grasshopper likes this.
  13. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Absolutely..last time iI checked PF none of us was curing Covid, or finding world peace..but we can support one another across the planet by sharing, having fun..
  14. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Interesting concept, might be another item for the tool kit. Standing by to stand by.
  15. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    I will update as soon as I can get my hands on some. It's not cheap and my line of work (live concerts) is on extinction level now.
    Nap likes this.