1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Cpl John Prettyjohns VC (RMLI)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Nap, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Cannonball A Fixture

This is looking fantastic. Another individual take on a piece which is working really well Nap. Great detail work. Is the bodywork below the belt line part of the original kit or your addition?

Neal
    Nap likes this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Neal

Thanks for looking in mate

All the work you see in the pics has been done by Jimbo ...I will be adding the rank badges and the medals soon

As for the below the belt ....that's an addition ...Jims idea as I wanted him to be holding the cane

Cue the applause for El Jimbo .....

Stay tuned for my additions

Nap
  3. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Looking fantastic Nap as always, should be commercial so I can have one.
    Nap likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England

Cheers Malc ..all down to Jimbo's putty pushing ...can't be commercial as other company's original resin was used as basis

Thanks for looking in

Nap
    Bootneck and malc like this.
  5. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Fantastic sculpting by Jimbo, Kev - the amount of detail in the belt buckle & sash (especially the bulge made by the tunic button underneath it) is phenomenal. I prostrate myself before your skills Jim - you are a true artist.
    Jimbo likes this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Time to bow my head in shame ....having Bananna fingers and a heavy grip ...I managed to break the sash off ....and also found out the belt is in 3 parts ..so I am in process of changing it as per pictures below .........also knocked off buckle at front so that's being redone ...

Added the backing shape of the 3 chèvrons and now have the medal ribbons in place ...will add basic medal shape then do up the details like the bars and fitments

Going to look really good ..that I promise Jimbo !!!

...he says I have Banana fingers ....lol

Here's some more ref pics

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I will get my sculpting WIP pics sorted later

Thanks for looking in

Nap

This was the picture Jimbo sent me ........ image.jpeg ...not sure what he is insinuating ...lol
    Borek, Scotty and Chris Oldfield like this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Medals are

are (anti clockwise from the VC):

Victoria Cross (at that time VCs awarded to naval personnel had a blue ribbon, and as a Royal Marine he wore his VC with a blue ribbon)

image.jpeg

British Crimea Medal with clasps for Balaclava, Inkerman & Sebastapol;

image.jpeg

Turkish Crimea Medal;

image.jpeg

Long Service and Good Conduct (Naval)

image.jpeg

Sardinian Crimea Medal:

image.jpeg

China Medal (1857) with clasp for Canton

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nap
  8. Osebor PlanetFigure Supporter

Spain
    Following with interest...
    Nap likes this.
  9. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    You weren't by chance in the demolition business Nap.
    Hope you can fix it and following with interest.
    Jimbo and Nap like this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England

Listen mate ...I can't be unclumsy and good looking ......lol

All being sorted well ..will try and post pics once I've done a bit more tommorow

Lion done on belt buckle...crown in the morning ! , circular medals in place now beneath ribbons ...VC next once all others have dried out

Stay tuned

Nap
    Viking Bob likes this.
  11. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Sorry to hear about the little accident, Kev - that sash was really impressive. Your medal research is as informative as always though, really enjoy looking at the information you bring to the table.
  12. Nap Moderator

England

Clumsy fingers ..or just super strong ...fear not he is coming along nicely ...the sash will be along with the right epaulette the last to add ...I have Jimbos original as a reference

Will try and get some iffy vision pics sorted after another session later

Thanks for commenting

Nap
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

A couple of pics before I start today's work on him .....going to finish off buckle and and belt and....hopefully at least the lower medals so I can get the Sash on and leave to dry overnite

Nap

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  14. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Hi Nap.
    He is looking brilliant and I’m not jealous he will be yours.
    Hope you don’t mind me pointing out the belt buckle illustrated is wrong for the Royal Marines. It may not matter at small scale but the legend should read.
    “Gibraltar “
    Per Mare Per Terram.
    Looking forward to seeing your progress.
    Peter.
    Nap likes this.
  15. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Blimey!...You've stripped quite a lot off you hamfisted clod hopper!....but the belt is looking much better than what I done, good pick up on the belt being in 3 parts..I hadn't noticed that....and dare I say it but the piping on the rear skirt of the tunic was a bit thick so I'm sure you'll get that right, looks like they have come off quite cleanly, glad to see you've kept the sash tails though and the sash I put on would have been in the way of the lay of the medals, the medals and stripes are looking good (y)
    Cheers
    Jim
    Scotty and Nap like this.
  16. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Peter

Thanks for looking in and quite rightly pointing out ref the battle honour on buckle ....as here : image.jpeg

Would like to say it would show but perhaps not ...might suggest the lettering

Always welcoming comments and always learning

Ham fisted clod hopper .....that's nice of you ...lol

Thanks for comment ref belt ...will be adding buckles where needed as well , the piping hopefully will look good .....as for the sash tails ...they look great ...thankfully still safe !

Glad you approve of the medals so far

Happy days

Nap
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Couple of iffyvision pics

Belt complete at front ( lion and crown ) ...will suggest the surrounding lettering Gibralter etc ( sorry Bootneck ) ...painting will bring out all the details ...hopefully

Added the buckles etc at rear ( still 2 more to add on either side of the centre one )

Finished off the cheverons as well ...painting will/ shoukd detail it even more

Did do the VC but didn't look right looking at it today ...so off it came !

Hope to finish off all medals and add the sash ...then sketch in the badge on the right in pencil before putty ...Ltd of patience as lots of different parts to badge !

As always comments , suggestions etc are welcome

Thanks for looking in

Nap

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Borek, Geoff Charman, malc and 2 others like this.
  18. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    I like what you’ve done with his belt Kev, very detailed.
    Nap likes this.
  19. Nap Moderator

England

Cheers Chris ...added the other 2 buckles at the rear ...currently on the Crimean medal ....been putty pushing for nearly 3 hours so far on the medals ...coming together well ...going to paint the actual details on the medals ..will be more in scale

Thanks for looking in

Nap
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Couple of update pics

Still a little bit to do on centre of VC

Will put the piping on at the back once fully dry

Then it's the sash , epaulettes adding the globe insignia , then the badge on right arm ....base up , prime and paint!

Thanks for looking in

Nap

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg