1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Cowboy - 120mm - Mitches Military Models

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by dfmoss, May 26, 2024.

1. dfmoss Member

United-States
    Ok, here is my progress so far on this figure. I have spent several sessions cleaning it up and refining details and filling holes.

I have Blu-Tacked it together in the photo and have it setting on the base temporarily. I think the figure should be shifted to the right a bit more, even to the point of chopping off some of the resin base (or just not use it at all).

What do you folks think? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Don
    Mitches Cowboy 120mm.jpg
    malc, lpa53, dmcHobbes and 8 others like this.
  2. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    I would just use a bigger wooden base. I think the position of the figure is just perfect.
    Cheers,

Gino.
    Babelfish and Oda like this.
  3. NRG Active Member

I think I agree with Gino….a slightly larger base would work well.
    I was thinking that with a little reshaping of the hat and removal of some of the beard this could be Charley Waite from Open Range (one of my favourite westerns).
    looking forward to seeing how this develops.
  4. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yes I also agree with the bigger base so that the saddle or any Luther section of the figure is not protruding over the edge were it could get damaged when handling, possibly an oval shaped base with the correct proportions.
    Nice looking figure.
    Terry
  5. Briggsy PlanetFigure Supporter

Nice figure, plenty of scope for being creative, I agree with the comments above re the size of the base but I'd also be inclined to not use the cast base provided.

Cheers Simon
  6. clubcat PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I would go for a round base and as Simon says ditch the resin one, except the post, or extend it to match the wooden one.
    Looks to be a nice figure.
    Melanie
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Don

Good to see this as a V Bench , nice looking figure , the saddle looks good

I agree ref the base suggestions

Look forward to seeing more on this

Following with interest

Have fun @ the bench

Nap
  8. dfmoss Member

United-States
    I am just now getting back to see all the comments. I did not think about a round base. Mainly because I did not have one big enough in my stash of bases.

Here is what I ended up doing. I shifted the figure to the right as far as I could. The resin base is under there, but is mostly covered by Sculptamold. The saddle will protrude just a bit, I don't think it will look too bad.

The beard has been lightened some, and some gray added for a bit of mileage...

Thanks!

Don

Mitches Cowboy 120mm 2.jpg
    NigelR and Briggsy like this.
  9. dfmoss Member

United-States
    Here is the latest - end of the painting day for me!

Don

Mitches Cowboy 120mm 3.jpg
    NigelR, Nap and Briggsy like this.
  10. Briggsy PlanetFigure Supporter

Fair play on the base it looks good and that's all that's needed. Liking the face and his kerchief, great patterning.

Cheers Simon
    dfmoss likes this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Don

A good bit of progress there , nice pattern on the neck scarf

Look forward to seeing more

Have fun @ the bench

Nap
    dfmoss likes this.
  12. dfmoss Member

United-States
    This was not much of a WIP thread - I am pretty much finished with the figure! LOL!

I am not sure I am happy with the color of the duster. I was trying to suggest a light-weight fabric. I think the cool color helps with that - but I don't find the color especially appealing. Maybe some glazes of a warmer brownish color will help.

I also plan to add some dust to the figure - again, maybe that will help a bit, too.

Also, I need to set up a better photography area - the roll of papertowels is a poor back-drop! :)

Thanks for looking!

Don

20240605_205500.jpg 20240605_205511.jpg
    Old Pete, Briggsy, clubcat and 2 others like this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Don

Goodness that’s come on well , you’ve been busy , liking the colour of the coat definately needs some “trail dust” and weathering

Saddles looking good as well

Thank for sharing updates look forward to final pics in the Completed Forum

What’s the next piece ?

Have fun @ the bench

Nap
    dfmoss and clubcat like this.
  14. clubcat PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    My word, that looks fantastic. Agree with Nap, the coat needs a bit of weathering. Otherwise great
    Melanie
    dfmoss and Nap like this.
  15. Briggsy PlanetFigure Supporter

Great stuff, love the leather work, altogether a cracking piece, I really like it.

Cheers Simon
    dfmoss and Nap like this.
  16. dfmoss Member

United-States

Next up is the FER Miniatures 75mm Clinch Rifles Sergeant from the American Civil War.

Thanks for the comments!

Take care, all!

Don
    Nap likes this.