1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

COVID-19 in Our Hobby

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Martin Antonenko, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Seen the first figure about the Corona virus in the magazine "Modell Panorama" of the IMPS Austria...:

[IMG]

It's by Karl Berger. Well done Karl. Exactely my impreesions...!

Cheers
    Oda likes this.
  2. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Oh please!! :hungover::hungover:

I'm fed up with hearing about the sodding coronavirus all the time, and the modelling bench (this forum too for that matter) is a welcome escape from it. Last thing I'd want to do would be to waste time doing a "tribute" to it in my precious hobby hours. But each to their own I suppose.

- Steve
    Blind Pew and Oda like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Certainly agree there , not something I would even consider doing but as you said each to their own !

To me this hobby is a big escape away from all the bad news

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda and Babelfish like this.
  4. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Yesterday on all TV infos and in all Newspapers 90% success

They say :
    80000 were given the new vaccine 90% success
    80000 vere given a Placebo and ... and ... nothing about the results
    So how can we compare ?

Now let's see official statistics about Covid
    exemple 1 : France 18.000.000 tested 1.800.000 positives to corona thus 10% thus 90% NON positives
    exemple 2 ; USA 150.000.000 tested 10.200.000 positives to corona thus 7% thus 93% NON positives

THUS with vaccine the resulls are the same as without vaccine !!!!! What are we facing here : a missunderstanding ? a devious advert ? a missleading information ?
    just compare the column total case with the column total test country by country
    And we see that without any vaccine the result are arround the same value 90% healthy 10% positives
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

IMHO a vaccine for whose the results are not far better than without vaccine is abolutely not an improvement

Just expect somebody is going to do better (with less noises about it !)

Best
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    It's a glimmer of hope that this terrible vius will be controllable in the future and we can get back to a new normality ....

For me I am getting back to my bench ...C19 +ve

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  6. Ferris A Fixture

You are comparing apples and oranges.

The first numbers you quote mean that of all people being tested 90% is tested negative. Most of these people have not been exposed to the virus.

The reported 90% effectiveness of the vaccine means something different: it means that a person exposed to the virus, with the vaccine, does not get sick, in 90% of the cases.

The report I read mentioned 44000 participants. Some of these received the vaccine, some a placebo. From this group 94 people got sick with Covid-19. After checking how many of these people got the vaccine or the placebo, the 90% effectiveness was calculated.

It’s roughly like this: The 18.000.000 tested resulted in 1.800.000 positives. If all of the 18.000.000 had been vaccinated, there would only be 180.000 that would get sick.

If confirmed, that is very impressive, because it means that ‘group immunity’ could build up quicker while the number of people vaccinated grows. A glimmer of hope...
    NeilW, Oda, arj and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium

Yes you are perfectly right, I didn't find the official report, I only reacted to the way the press ( TV and Nexspapers) presented it
    They all said / wrote in Belgium :
    80000 were given the new vaccine 90% success

Thus for me it just confirmed that the vast majotity of "reporters" does not understand what they write or are to lazy to try understanding
    The real meaning is that " with the vaccine the result on tested population will reduce the positive case by 90% "
    This is what I would have liked to read

Thanks for the clarification
    Ferris and Nap like this.
  8. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Who wants a "new" normality?? :confused: I was quite happy with the old one thanks! :cool:

Words & phrases I never want to hear uttered again after all this is finished (assuming it's ever allowed to finish): "new normal" / "Stay safe" / "social distancing" / "We're all in this together" / "lockdown" / "mask" / "furlough" / "package of measures" / "test & trace" / "world-beating" / "now is not the time ..." / "let's be absolutely clear ..." / "now more than ever" / "flatten the curve" / "non-essential goods" / "key worker" / "following the science".

Oh and "unprecedented" :ROFLMAO:.

Malcolm.jpg

- Steve
    Ferris, Nap, Mirofsoft and 1 other person like this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Nice one Steve

It's good to have a chuckle in this current situation

Nap ( +ve ...oh deep joy .......thank goodness for resin! )
    Babelfish likes this.