1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Coureur des bois New France Quebec 1760

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by assassin's, Aug 28, 2011.

1. assassin's Member

Italy
    Dear friends..... I submit my new subject, whether as a joke between a soldier and the other in my preparation on the workbench.
    The subject portrays a kind of “Coureur des bois” Trapper or rather a hunter/merchant fur trader who often was not limited only to this, as it were a guide to the military troops in the forests of Quebec.

Historical notes:

Coureur des bois

The Coureur des bois was directly involved in the marketing of the skins with the Amerindians in North America during the colonial period but did not get permission from the authorities.
    In the seventeenth century the leather trade was very lucrative in New France (now Canada).
    The competition was very fierce and many settlers ventured beyond the colonized territories to the west and north of Montreal to establish friendly contacts with the Amerindians, the purpose of trading.
    The coureurs des bois were not perceived positively by the Montreal authorities and officials of the king. This fact is not frowned on those who left the agricultural areas to seek their fortune with this business. The French authorities preferred that the transport of furs were managed by Amerindians, rather than by independent traders who wore skins and not regulated in abundance, so that the market was saturated. The traffic of furs to undermine the role of Montreal as a central point of this type of merchandise trade - where traders exchanged beaver pelts, with clothing, firearms and copper pots for cooking. Some illegal traders caused problems, since traded furs with alcohol.
    Some coureurs des bois became famous, such as Étienne Brûlé, Louis Joliet, Médard des Groseilliers, Pierre-Esprit Radisson, Jean Nicolet, Guillaume Couture, Jean-Baptiste Chalifoux and Jacques de Noyon.
    Some royal ordinances enacted turono order to regulate commerce. Between 1674 and 1690 were forbidden to trade in the woods with the threat of financial penalty the first offense, and sentenced to prison for the second. In 1696, then from 1729 until the fall of New France was introduced the system of the conga, which is to issue a fixed number of permits in order to limit the number of coureurs des bois authorized to trade, officially registering them. However such leave by the colonial government were sold and bought in bulk to merchants, commerçant and members of the ruling class that they had interests in trafficking in furs, who then redistribute them to employees who were not registered. This legitimacy created a second generation of coureurs des bois: the "voyageurs".

Figure:

The figure does not actually know what brand it is ..... I was given a subject and it was very strange not thrill me so much and why I had never painted because it is also about 25mm resin.
    I was armed with a cutter and I removed almost everything .... then I rebuilt it all with the help of various epoxy putty ... A + B, Magic Sculp,Duro and various mixtures among them, more sections of metal and plastic .
    Lacks some details that put the figure at the end because it is too very very small.
    The setting is carved in Duro and Milliput standard, with the help of wire for reinforcement and inserts of natural vegetation .L 'environment will be represented and included in the icy winter in North America.;)

Excuse me for bad English!:eek:

Cheers :)

Attached Files:

GARRY, kagemusha, gordy and 2 others like this.
  2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice work, thanks for sharing Carmine , your English is fine :)
  3. assassin's Member

Italy
    Thanks....my friends!:p

I have to find time to paint it!:whistle: