1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Cossac Dancer

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Martin Antonenko, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    11. Day, October 24, 2014

Today again a little excursion into the world of acrylics. I painted the little cross that carries our hero round his neck.

For the cross I take these colors ...:

[IMG]

First a thin coat of pure silver and then a wash with a very dilute broth of silver and black, that beautiful places in the depths of the engraving.

Then pass the black leather band on which the Cossack his cross worn around the neck. With these colors ...:

[IMG]

So it has become ...:

[IMG]

On the larger photo I noticed that I have painted the collar at one point not clearly - this is now corrected ...

Next week, I will start with the shirt ...
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  2. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    12. Day, October 27, 2014

Welcome back here and in the new week! This week is "shirt" on the program. And for some reason, which I will still come at length, I first take the shirt breast separately.

It starts today with an underpainting with acrylics ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The new baught oil paints are ready for tomorrow - experimenting with the colors I did before the underpainting - thus fit together ...:

[IMG]
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  3. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    13. Day, October 28, 2014

So, now it comes with oil on the shirt.

But before even a little History: Our friend is wearing a peasant shirt, a so-called "Rubashka". They had a standing collar and cuff were closed at the neck with two bands ...:

[IMG]

I had specifically asked Mark to model the chest area of the shirt exactly why, after that I will discuss later.

And now the oil paints ...:

[IMG]

First attempts ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Martin,

Every post from you adds another great dimension to the SBS...great details ...interesting to see you using oils ...have you heard of water soluable oils (I use a brand called Cobra)...mixaable with water as acrylics

Looking forward to seeing more on this especially the chest!

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Martin Rohmann likes this.
  5. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    This mixes comes in handy Martin, i am sure colin will add to his recipee book hahha.
    I love your sbs pics .
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Coming along Martin.
    Will you be attempting to paint Ukrainian style embroidery on the chest and collar of the shirt?
    6514093-there-is-a-scheme-of-ukrainian-pattern-for-embroidery.jpg
    And yes, I have added alot of Martin's mixes to my collection ;)

Following along

Colin
  7. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Yes, of course, Colin!

Cheers
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Good luck with that Martin :nailbiting:
  9. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    14. Day, October 29, 2014

Today I have only practiced a bit around with oil paints to get a better feel for the colors. Some shadows were deepened, others mitigated - as I said, just for practice.

[IMG]

From tomorrow I will deal seriously with the shirt...
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  10. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    15. Day, October 30, 2014

So - now I start seriousely with the shirt!

Such a "Rubshka" could only be pure white, but there were still special shirts, the "Sunday best", so to speak, were the breasts shirt richly ornamented with embroidery. This is still so until today!!

There were (and are!) hundreds of different variations, I show here are some examples ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Today I start to paint with These colors...

[IMG]

...​on the shirtfront hundreds of tiny different colored dots - and I've tried to "take" light and shadow of the drapery.

How it looks now ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Tomorrow I will continue with it ...
  11. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I like this!!!
    I see where I went wrong when I tried to do the embroidery... I tried to paint an exact pattern, for me, near impossible at this scale. You've approached this much better by "suggesting" the pattern as opposed to trying to be exact.

Nice work Martin

Colin
  12. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Colin!

I tried first the same way like you and came to the same conclusion: It's nearly impossible in this scale. On a bust in 1/9 or 1/10 it would be okay, but here I think my painting is the right way to do it.

An advice to those, who won't paint the embroidery: Shirts like that were (and are!) even worn without it...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    theBaron and ChaosCossack like this.
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I had one when I was very young. My baba (grandmother) made it for me. Hand embroidered, lots of red and black with a little green and orange in the pattern. She did a lot of stuff like that, pillowcases, linen napkins and placemats, shirts and blouses... All with a similar pattern.
    I wish I could find that shirt again.

Colin
  14. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Colin!

If you find it, post it here, please. Would be very glad!

Cheeers
  15. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    The shirt is long gone, I'm sure but there's some other items around the house and at my mother's house. I'll gather them up and take some pictures to post.

Colin
  16. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    16. Day, October 31, 2014

I continue today with the "embroidery". If you look at the template photos, you can see that the embroidered fields are always separated by non-ticked areas from each other.

You have the choice between vertical, horizontal and/or vertical separations.

I opted for horizontal separations, because I like them best.

And please look closely:
    The seperation lines are not easy strokes, but in turn consist of a number of individual points in the colors white and light gray - or a mixture of both colors ...:

[IMG]

So it looks like now ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

And here the whole thing again in original size ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]
    theBaron, Joe55, Ferris and 2 others like this.
  17. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    17. Day, 3. November 2014

Today I have painted the backside of the embroideries

[IMG]
  18. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    The time you put in to research no doubt pays off Martin. I enjoy seeing the costume and accessories that you come up with.
    This dancer will be accurate, realistic, and yet unique (y)!

Joe
    Wings5797 and Martin Rohmann like this.
  19. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
  20. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    18. Day, November 4, 2014

Actually I wanted to paint the not embrioderes parts of the Shirt today but that doesn't work! To paint the shirt, first the sleeves / arms are still to be mounted - and for the case that I have started today with the right arm.

First, I drill a small hole in the area where the arm will be mounted later ...

[IMG]

... and then the fist with the drill is cautiously opened , that the sabre fits later...:

[IMG]

[IMG]
    A note for those who want the beautiful figure painting later times: Please do not grind away at the bottom of the fist! This is the pommel of the sabre handle ...:

[IMG]

Then, the arm is mounted on a cork ...

[IMG]

... and finally primed ...:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    theBaron and Wings5797 like this.