1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Correct scale for 90mm?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by FlaBtl (Sfl) 606, Feb 29, 2020.

1. FlaBtl (Sfl) 606 Active Member

Germany
    Hello!
    I recieved the dolman miniatures figure "Stern von Afrika" (https://dolmanminiatures.com/home/79-stern-von-afrika.html) which is 90mm. But I compared it with some of the tamiya 1:16 figures and they are almost the same height.

So is 90mm always the same as 1:16 / 120mm / 1:15?
    And how much would be 90mm in 1:XX? Couldnt find anything on the web or it was from 1:24 - 1:16)

Thanks in advantage!
  2. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As far as I know 90mm should equate to about 1/18 when it comes to figure scale. The problem is that some sculptors sculpt the 90mm to the top of the head and others use the eye line, using the eye line as 90mm means that the overall figure height is more like 100mm to 110mm which is why it is very close to your 1/16 Tamiya figures.
    When using Scale for example 1/16 when sculpting a figure it all depends on what 1/1 height you are going to scale from, normally you go for a average height of about 5' 10" or similar to work out the height your finished 1/16 figure will be. The one big advantage of sculpting in scale rather than Size is that if you are doing 1/16 all the weapons, equipment and vehicles will be compatible with each figure.

Cheers
    Steve
    Mirofsoft, Woods457, arj and 3 others like this.
  3. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    This inconsistent approach to scale discipline drives me nuts.
    I'd planned to produce a small Greek vignette using these grey army figures from Alexandros and Pegaso.
    aristide-greek-general-plataea-479-ac.jpg -greek-hoplite.jpg 54c90-403510_357167904345859_987260005_n.jpg
    All are superb in their own right but all have a scale variation from each other that is significant in a tight vignette.
    When I've got more time I'll have a look at whether I can create a bit of a perspective illusion.
    It's really annoying.:arghh:
    Babelfish, Richie, Helm and 2 others like this.
  4. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As Steve says, it all depends on the height of the subject, e.g.:-

Scales.jpg
    The only things that must remain consistent are the man-made items like weapons, equipment etc.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Blind Pew, DEL, 1969 and 2 others like this.
  5. FlaBtl (Sfl) 606 Active Member

Germany
    Thank you guys! That are some good answers!
  6. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Nice Chart Andrew, haven't seen that one before and have saved it to my library (y)
    Cheers
    Steve
  7. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Personally, I don't think it's logical for the sculptor to set a scale. Anyone who's ever sculpted knows that if you go by a set armature you're going to limit your creativity. Once you start adding clothing, props and detail; it's going to change the whole visual perspective as far as balance. Personally, I would try to get close to the scale I was shooting for and let creativity run its course. I could never understand why a 90mm figure was soo much more expensive then 75mm. A little more rubber, metal, and weight, bigger box and shipping. Maybe I answered my own question. But at the same time I can see the logic if your trying to create a multi figure vignette where everything must look to scale. I guess that's where the ones that can sculpt their own vignettes have the advantage. As for me, I'm just trying to satisfy myself by painting other artists sculpts that I appreciate.

Wayne
  8. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I only prepared it just before posting.
    Pleased you liked it Steve.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    1969 likes this.
  9. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Or, maybe you could look at it like this. Try getting three blokes together who are exactly the same height and shape. Andrew is 100% spot on. It's only the man made stuff that should be identical.
    peedee and DEL like this.
  10. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    While according to the chart above "90 mm" should equal to the scale of about 1/20, "120 mm"-scale should equal to 1/15 and there the long term confusion starts because if we speak in general about "120 mm"-figures often the scale 1/16 is given.
    Within one scale in mm some manufacturers measure the height of their figures from feet to the eyeline, others from feet to top of the head and others from feet to top of the helmet....as a consequence the scale of the gear and weapons does not match within the given 1/..-scale but mostly with the size of the figure.
    So the combination of figures of different manufacturers in one scene will always be a difficult task as the height of people differs but the size of their gear and equipment in real life will stay the same.
    DEL and 1969 like this.
  11. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Obviously people can differ dramatically in size and height the problem for me is when doing a tight vignette you are creating a static image. This means that you view in detail a static image which can exaggerate scale differences. Whilst these differences are true to life, visually it just doesn't work for me.
    Height variation in a static situation has been used for comedic impact, those brits of a certain age will remember the Cleese, Barker and Corbett, Class sketch.
    arj and Blind Pew like this.
  12. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    IMHO the best effort so far to reproduce differences of human stature in miniature while staying in one scale
    Stalingrad Miniatures 1.jpg
    Blind Pew, 1969 and DEL like this.
  13. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Works OK in a larger diorama where the spacing and perspective helps as you focus on the key figures and the others are in the background and 'mobile'.
    I see the two main figures as a full grown man and a boy soldier rather than a small man
    Martin64 likes this.
  14. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    90mm, 120mm etc. are not scales, they are simply sizes. Traditionally the height was measured to the eyeline to allow for different heights of headwear (e.g. bearskin vs. beret). 1/32, 1/20 etc. are true scales, and I suppose should be from top of head to toes. As pointed out above, we all come in different sizes, and a provided out above, as long as the weapons and kit are to scale, slight differences in height shouldn't matter. 120mm is 1/15 the height of 180mm (5'10"), 112.5mm is 1/16 of 180mm.

Mike
    Mirofsoft likes this.
  15. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I think the original question was meant as "Which scale corresponds most closely to 90mm?"

I agree that we all come in different sizes. The problem comes when trying to mix products from various manufacturers, some of whom label their products with a scale, others who label their products with a size, and many of whom use different interpretations of how to measure scale or size. As you've noted, some measured from the top of the head (uncovered) to the soles of the feet (William Britain established that as his standard, for example), others measured from the eyes to the soles of the feet. So it's a puzzle for many.

In my own case, I look for figures to go with Maschinen Krieger models. Most of those are issued in 1/20 scale. There are some makers who produce figures, sold as 1/20 scale, to go with those kits. Other makers also sell figures to go with them, and they call their figures 90mm. And even within the genre's kits themselves, there are variations in interpretation of the scale and size. And many of the figures are incompatible with one another because the proportions are just off by too much.

Prost!
    Brad
    Martin64 likes this.
  16. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The height of any kit figure as being discussed is simply irrelevent to the point in question.
    The only constant has to be any weapons, and equipment.
    Mirofsoft likes this.
  17. theBaron A Fixture

United-States

Not so, that it's irrelevant. If two makers each produce a figure, and one says his figure is 1/20, and the other says his is 90mm, then it's a toss-up whether the two figures can be used side-by-side, because if they are not close in proportions, they won't look right. In my example of equating 1/20 scale to 90mm size, I have seen figures in 90mm who look like pinheads when placed next to a figure produced to 1/20 scale.

So, for someone buying figures, whether one figure is compatible with another figure in terms of its proportions is an important question, and understanding the variation in these measuring systems between manufacturers is important, and relevant, as well.

Prost!
    Brad
    Martin64 likes this.
  18. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom

No it quite simp
    ly isn't.
    ANY two figures or more, of different height stature or build, all
    holding weapons of THE SAME SIZE are by defenition compatable.
    There is no other way of representing our different heights and stature.
    What you are talking about is aesthetics.
    This is a different point altogether and is a question of artistic taste.
    We aren't all the same size, in barracks on parade or in battle.[
    ATTACH=full]372908[/ATTACH]
    In my example, tell the Sgt Major he's not compatable, the Queens warrant and his medals say he is.

Attached Files:

Banjer likes this.
  19. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    No, I am not talking about aesthetics. I'm talking about the fact that some people try to draw an equivalency between a scale and a size, and that manufacturers may interpret either measurement differently from other manufacturers, and that makes it difficult to put some figures together in a vignette or diorama. If a 90mm figure appears to be 10% smaller in all proportions to a 1/20 scale figure, it doesn't matter if you give both figures a casting of the same weapon. There is a point at which one figure will look too small. I don't mean short. I mean the figure will look proportionately too small.
    Martin64 likes this.
  20. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Exactly my point, why would you countenance it, but no-one produces 1/20th scale do they?
    So it's a moot poimt.
    We buy 54, 75, 90 120 and 200mm.
    So if they are both 90mm, and the weapons are the same size, they are compatable.
    Anything else is nonsense.
    I didn't mention SUBSTITUTING weapons, I said if they are the same.