1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Corporal John Shaw (2nd Life Guards 1815)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Belcher, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Gerry Active Member

He's Looking superb John! nice sculpting, also great work on his horse. The airfix figure parts. combined with historex parts work so well.
  2. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hey Chris, thanks mate. Hope you and family have a great Christmas. Hope to catch up over the Christmas break.:)
  3. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks les, Hope you and Sharon have a great Christmas:)
  4. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks Macca:)
  5. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello Martin, thank you for your comments and information. I have read a few different accounts on Shaw at Waterloo and did read about his sword being broken and the use of his helmet as a flail. They research on figure subjects is always interesting and fun and can also be frustrating at the same time with conflicting information ,hence the choice of the sheepskin saddle, appreciate the information on the blue edging on the white sheep skin.I felt myself that the blanket needs to be shortened but was working from an illustration. One of my pieces of information shows a several great illustrations by the late Rick Scollins and article by Philip J. Haythornthwaite in a military illustrated magazine. Those Helmets look sensational that the re-en actors are wearing,it would be wonderful to see the master. Find attached some conflicting pictures.
    Kind regards,
    John

40635.jpg 1370031.jpg aa55e807898b4ad14785b343aa37fbc4.jpg LifeGuards01.jpg
  6. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks Joe,:)
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  7. Braemp Active Member

Very nice. Following this with interest. What head are you using?

Regards Lars
  8. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks Lars, I am using a old historex head out of there spare head set
  9. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    He's coming along beautifully John ,
    Cheers
    Al
  10. Huw63 A Fixture

Missed the start of this one. Great to see my beloved medium, Historex, being used. Looks great.

Cheers

Huw
  11. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looks awesome!!!!
    I have some historex/airfix conversions in the pipe so this has been very helpful.
    Dying to see some colour on this piece.

Colin
  12. El Tché Well-Known Member

Very good work and a fantastic subject !
  13. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Some real quality work going on there John . Can't wait to see some paint going on as I always like your style of painting .
    chippy
  14. martin tabony Well-Known Member

United-States
    I found some more reference that pretty much agrees with every thing you've done. A realy good contempory picture but it must have been late in 1815 because the honours "Peninsul" and "Waterloo" have been added to the sabretache. I forgot about Chas Stadden's book on The Life Guards that was published by Almark in 1971 (although he does show a red edging to the black sheepskin!:))
    The word Corporal was used in the Household Cavalry instead of the word Sergeant. Until the rest of the army adopted the rank of corporal in 1878 when the Household Cavalry rank became Corporal of Horse. The badge of rank is three gold stripes with a crown above, I believe this is the badge Corporal Shaw would have worn. We still don't have sergeants.

Also here's that helmet. It's been gathering dust in the loft since 1995. I've added one of my 32nd figures for size (I.G. wolfhound 1900) I can't find the scales or rosettes at the moment. The crest doesn't assemble properly because I had to add bits for the moulding process.
    Obviously I had to be careful with the original helmet while I was handling it, so I used the "brass rubbing" method to get the sizes and details. I had to enlarge the helmet because the original would only fit a modern child! That was the only alteration I made though, I stuck to all other measures.

Martin

Attached Files:

15. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Stunning work john,very inspiratitional
  16. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks Alan:)
  17. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks Huw:)
  18. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks Colin:)
  19. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks El Tch'e:)
  20. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Great work , and superb doc from Martin.
    John Belcher likes this.