1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Corporal 7th Dragoon Guards Cape Frontier 1845

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Tommy Atkins, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Tommy Atkins Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Nap. The corporal's chevrons are base coated in Humbrol Matt 24, trainer yellow (I believe). Shadows are with a bit of dark brown 173 added, with a bit of white added to the base yellow for highlights along the top edge of the tapes. Feel like a bit of a Neanderthal for still using Humbrol enamels!
    Nap likes this.
  2. Nap A Fixture

England

Cheers ...not a caveman by any means ..you just carry one using those enamels and getting these results

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Viking Bob likes this.
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Superb update to a very nice figure, can't wait for more
    Nap likes this.
  4. Tommy Atkins Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Bob.
    Viking Bob likes this.
  5. Tommy Atkins Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi chaps. Just a quick update to show the groundwork I have just finished for this figure. I used mini natur tufts and flowers, using the resin kit base to build up from. I discovered an old Military Illustrated mag which had a feature on some Cape Frontier Wars figures by the legendary Bill Horan, and I based my efforts on some of the terrain that he did. Hopefully a little bit of South Africa has been recreated! Regards Pete 20191112_160734.jpg
    David Spencer, Jed, Borek and 6 others like this.
  6. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Pete

That groundwork looks fantastic ...I always like to see the base have as much care and attention as the figure it's going to be used for

Look forward to seeing the figure on this

Happy bemchtime

Nap
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  7. Tommy Atkins Active Member

United-Kingdom
    So am I! Thanks Nap.
    Nap likes this.
  8. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    A very good base, as Nap said like to see the finished figure.
    Nap likes this.
  9. Tommy Atkins Active Member

United-Kingdom
  10. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Base looks excellent Pete - I think I’ve got that issue of Military Illustrated with the Bill Horan article in it in my old mags archive as well. Agreed with Nap on this one, the base is just as important as the figure itself & a well-finished one always adds so much substance & historical perspective - just as you’ve done here.
    clrsgt likes this.
  11. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent progress. Superb groundwork.
  12. Tommy Atkins Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thank you both.
  13. Mookie Active Member

Excellent job.The figure and groundwork are supetb.I have the Military illustrated magazine you mentioned.A period im developing an interest in.
    Richard.
  14. Tommy Atkins Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thank you Richard.
  15. Tommy Atkins Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi planeteers! After a truly shameful amount of time spent on this fabulous figure, I'm not far off calling him finished at last. Just one boot, a bit on the sabre and the rifle to do. I will probably do a bit more weathering here and there, depending how he looks when he is put on the base. Hope you like how he is coming on!! Regards Pete 20200522_205603.jpg 20200522_205522.jpg 20200522_205542.jpg
    JonH, KenBoyle, David Spencer and 9 others like this.
  16. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    That paintwork is simply amazing, Pete - I especially like the worn effects on the leather reinforcements to the overalls.
  17. Tommy Atkins Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thank you for the kind words Chris. I really struggled with the leather...it was too stark then too flat and then I had to factor dust effects on top. In the end I mixed some Matt and satin varnish together and slapped it over the top. It brought out the richness in the browns a little more and gave a bit more contrast with the dark blue of the overalls. I'm quite happy with it now!
    Chris Oldfield and Nap like this.
  18. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Beautiful painting Pete and the base is superb. You have certainly done the model justice. Excellent all round.

Regards
    Chris
  19. Tommy Atkins Active Member

United-Kingdom
  20. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Pete

Great to see an update and what a lovely piece of painting , excellent reds and the seams are so good all over , agree ref leatherwork and the helmet as well as the cheverons look really good

It's a cracking release

The Cape Wars are a often forgot time wish we could see more releases

Always good to see your artwork

Look forward to the base being added

Why not put a figure into FOTM as well as voting in previous month

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap