1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Converted Young Airborne Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Nick Majerus, May 10, 2011.

  1. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

    Country:
    United-States
    This is my latest project that I just finished. I took the wonderful WWII Airborne Bust by Young Miniatures and converted it to a 101st Abn. figure. I scraped off the flag, the chevrons, and the 82nd Abn. patch. I then took some Magic Sculpt and made a “Gas Detection Sleeve Device” on the right arm. Also added the 101st Abn. patch. I added a star to the Abn. Wings on the wood base to denote a Combat Jump. It is a beautiful kit and goes together very well.

    DSCN3060.JPG

    DSCN3061.JPG

    DSCN3062.JPG

    DSCN3063.JPG

    All comments welcomed
    Nick
    phc35, Uruk-Hai, gordy and 10 others like this.
  2. housecarl A Fixture

    Country:
    United-Kingdom
    Looking good Nick, your little changes have made all the difference. Where did you get the 101st Abn patch from please?
    Thanks,
    Carl.
  3. megroot A Fixture

    Country:
    Netherlands
    outstanding conversion
  4. SPrimeau Active Member

    Country:
    United-States
    This is great Nick. Like the conversion and cool idea to put the gas device on him.
    Scott
  5. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

    Country:
    United-States
    Thanks Carl, Marc, and Scott for your comments! Carl, I found a picture of the insignia in a book that had all kinds of U.S. insignia. Scaned it to the computer and reduced them to the size that I wanted. Then printed them onto paper like card stock on our printer. You could use photo paper ,but I don't. I then cut out the patch and use white paper glue. When the paper is soft from the glue it will conform with the creases on the sleeve. I also paint the edge of the patch before glueing it. This is the last thing I do before sealing the figure with Dullcoat. I hope this is of some help to others. Nick
  6. housecarl A Fixture

    Country:
    United-Kingdom
    Thanks a lot Nick. I've tried a similar idea with decal paper, but you can never get rid of the shine, even with the recommended varnish.
    Thanks a again,
    Carl.
  7. unknown01 New Member

    Country:
    Japan
    This conversion is Great!
    I congratulate completion.

    Mitsutaka.
  8. Showlen Active Member

    Country:
    United-States
    Man, your bust is really creative and you have done such a fantastic job. Thank you for sharing your work and the details on the changes you made and added.

    Can I ask if you used oils, acrylics, both? Also, did you use all brush or did you use airbrush for any of the application? Thanks!

    -Ronnie
  9. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

    Country:
    United-States
    Thank you Mitsutaka and Ronnie for your comments! Ronnie, I use oils for the flesh as I have not mastered the use of acrylics for that yet. I used Model Color and Lifecolor acrylics on the rest of the bust. I use only a brush and do not use an airbrush.

    Nick

Share This Page

planetFigure Links

Reviews & Open Box
Buy. Sell & trade
Articles
Link Directory
Events
Advertising

Popular Sections

Figure & Minis News
vBench - Works in Progress
Painting Talk
Sculpting Talk
Digital Sculpting Talk
The Lounge
Report Piracy

Who we are

planetFigure is a community built around miniature painters, sculptors and collectors, We are here to exchange support, Information & Resources.

© planetFigure 2003 - 2019.