1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Conversion 1\35 (Zvezda)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Zlobov*S, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Zlobov*S Active Member

Hi friends and colleagues!
    I want to show very old conversion from a set "Zvezda" the Soviet cossacks 1/35. It Wicisca - a society " a white belt{zone} ".
    Other photos of process it is possible to look here:
    http://www.modelsculpt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=577&start=0
    Say please answers to my question for colleagues ModelSculpt in Russia: - what there are manufacturers of 54 mm (1/32) plastic kit, except for Historex and Aerfix?
    And what you use for conversion figures (manufacturer) for 54 mm?
    Thanks beforehand.

Attached Files:

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome conversion Sergey. I am not familiar with the other plastic companies.
  3. Tarok Active Member

Australia
    Fantastic work, Sergey!! :)

I was convinced that at one time Ukrainian company MiniArt Limited had a 54mm Napoleonic gun & crew in their catalogue, but I guess I'm wrong as I don't find it now.:confused:

Again, lovely work.
  4. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Sergey, the Zvezda Cossack kit horses are excellent but compared to Historex and Airfix are slightly smaller. I have several kits for future conversions though. I have used both Historex and Airfix extensively for conversions. Here is a grouping of converted Airfix horses that I had done a year ago:

[IMG]

I like the Airfix horses because they are true 54mm and are well sculpted. I usually sand off the bridle and do my own. The Historex horses come in a wide variety but are a little smaller than the Airfix and not as wide so they have to be widened with plastic card.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of other choices in plastic horses except perhaps a few from Dragon (DML). The other choices are resin and are Bill Merklein's and Doug Lee's from his Polish Cavalry set. I actually prefer resin over plastic to work with.
    kaz6120 likes this.
  5. NB. Historex and Airfix are 54mm [1/32]... though one is thin and the other a bit heavier. Dragon, Zvezda and Tamiya [not sure if it's a horse or a mule ... that's how bad it is] are 1/35.

Ivan
  6. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    incredible stuff guys
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Sergey,
    Your work is always an inspiration.
    Great conversion.

Marc
  8. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Simply inspirational !!!!

Stephen Mallia
  9. Zlobov*S Active Member

Hi Guy - thanks, I had suspicion that " Mountain Man " for you will be interesting yours favorite!;-)
    Hi Bob - thanks for your answer and your perfect variant of conversion!
    My colleagues with ModelSculpt also recommend Airfix. Historex opinion below. You can give the link for "... Bill Merklein's and Doug Lee's from his Polish Cavalry set... "? Thanks!
    Hi Ivan! - ".. Historex and Airfix are 54mm [1/32.....] Dragon, Zvezda and Tamiya - 1/35... " are really various scales. Thanks!
    Hi Marc! The inspiration it is perfect!;-) Thanks!
    Hi Vergilius - thanks!
    Hi Rudi! You are right - really MiniArt planned the new project for plastic 1/32, but have cleaned{removed} this project.:-(. Likely they think of low commercial demand of this series.:-(
    Thanks.
    Hi Stephen! Thanks!:)

It is a photo of conversion Zvezda - also incorrectly collected figures - collected the Soviet cavalrymen, and it has turned out Mountain Man escapes.:)))

Attached Files:

10. btavis Active Member

United-States
  11. eissteban Active Member

France
    :eek: what a beautiful work Sergey
  12. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Hi Sergey ..... Compliments Beautiful Scratch ...... Good Continue ;)
    Saluti MAB :)
  13. je_touche Member

Germany
    Awsome conversion work, as well the Old West figurines as the Prussian uhlans.

There is one thing I cannot understand. Why are Airfix and Historex horses/ figurines referred to as 'true 54 mm scale'? In my opinion they are not. Historex figurines measure up to 60 mm, which would be 1,92 m in 1/32 scale, so quite impossible for, say, an adult around 1800 - men back then tended to grow up to 1,68 m on the average. The horses are made to fit the figurines, so they are rather 1/28th scale. Equipment is another question, here Airfix used to keep things in 1/32nd scale whereas Historex parts tend to be considerably larger.

With Airfix, the facts are still more complicated. While their old cavalry figures are more or less the same scale as Historex, the foot figures of the collector's or multipart series are 'true 54 mm' scale, or 1/32nd scale for a man 1,72 m tall.

I know there is the philosophy to measure a figurine from feet to eyes. But if from feet to eyes you have 54 mm or more, you should not call this 1/32nd scale. Don't say that men differ in height and build of body - if you compare a Historex figure to one from Airfix you will easily see that they are not the same scale (apart from horses and cavalrymen, as was said). This is a question of proportions, especially of head size. 1/35th scale figurines tend to be kept more strictly in scale. IMO this is due to the fact that they are mainly for the WW2 market and have to fit technical models of AFVs etc.

So if manufacturers and collectors refer to a figurine as '54 mm' meaning body height measured up to the eyes they should stop calling this 1/32 scale. It is definitely not, unless they mean to produce giants for all the historical ages.
  14. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Fantastic conversion work Sergey. Inspirational.

John
  15. panzer007 Member

very incredible conversion work Sergey!!.

This figure remind me of my old conversion too, but it far away from your work !!.

Cheers !
    Pongsatorn.K

[IMG]

[IMG]
  16. Zlobov*S Active Member

Hi Bob - thanks for links!
    Sébastien - Maurizio-John - thanks!
    Je_touche - thanks for comparison, is the helpful information. Certainly 1/35 it is not suitable size for a historical miniature, especially for horsemen. My variant in a photo very old is first "acquaintance" with apoxie materials. At that time I did not know about existence of model of a horse of 54 mm in plastic;-). Now I hope to receive and try Historex and Airfix.
    Panzer is also interesting your conversion wicisca! Thanks.

I for a long time did not do{make} conversion, there are no suitable models from plastic, my variants old, but I last week have taken for job of "time - break" and have made the big conversion;-), I shall necessarily show my result - I had very well a rest and a lot of inspiration from conversion. The main thing - can be moulded quickly and to not think of a partition of a figure for the future form:)))).
    I do not say goodbye, yours faithfully, and thanks for your answers!
  17. je_touche Member

Germany
    Sergey, what I was trying to say is that Historex and Airfix horses are NOT to 1/32 scale, but 1/30th or even larger. Even so, in comparison to the riders many horses are too large. As opposed to common believe and as historical sources prove, cuirassier horses, e.g., were much smaller than they are shown in most models. Take, as a reliable source, Albrecht Adam's sketches of Russian cuirassiers in 1813, and you know what I mean.

On the other hand I would not exclude using a 1/35th scale horse - e.g. those from Zvezda - to represent one of the smaller breeds in 1/32nd scale. Did you try using a 1/32nd scale figure on a 1/35th scale horse? As long as horse anatomy is o.k. this could be quite a good combination for a light cavalry trooper, a cossack or whatever.

I personally prefer to refer to scales, as opposed to figure size, because scale defines exactly what we are talking about, figure size does not. This is important if you want to represent realistic body heights and in-scale weapons and accoutrement.