1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Controversial! +13 Controversial! Jack the Ripper

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by diamond cutter, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diamond cutter Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Now who is the dick?
    LOL
    A bit of a 'Bully of the street'
  2. MBD Member

Spain
    So any "historical figure" with a dubious or cruel past from last two centuries is despicable but Roman gladiators, celts, vikings, huns, samurais, mammelucks, hussards, etc etc etc involved in any human conflict during history are to be praised?????????

Context please
  3. diamond cutter Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I agree Geoff but if Carlos wants to threaten He should know that I ain't no babe in the woods.
  4. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    As if I'd post a threat here ?!!!! Come on Big Pete .... Twits like you dish it out but can't take some aggro back .... See it week in week out.

Go play with ya plasticine ..

"BULLY" !!!!! We got a bully ! LOL ....

Zzzzz...
  5. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    I should know you are no babe in the woods ?!!!!!

Like I care ? What diff' does that make ? : )
  6. diamond cutter Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Mario-War is no doubt a dirty business as I think every one will agree. No matter what period of history
    IMO slicing women( or anyone) up for some weird self gratification, is not (as I said in my opinion) a good subject for a figure.
    I have also said that it's well sculpted painted and presented.
    I sculpted a Celt with some heads which was questioned on another forum a while back but I didn't have a hissy fit over it.
    I haven't insulted anyone who didn't insult me first either.
  7. diamond cutter Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Ye whatever Carlos.
    Boring.
  8. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Let's try to move away from the more personal comments and back to the original point.

I think you could make a similar argument for about half the figures we see posted here. From Nazis to crusaders to Romans and on and on, there are lots of topics that come with some pretty dark historical baggage. Okay, this is an individual, but so are figures of Hitler or even Alexander the Great. Alexander razed the city of Thebes and slaughtered or sold all of the inhabitants into slavery. His story gets a little more brutal once he gets to India. But I don't think we like these figures and paint them to celebrate their bad deeds. It's because we're interested in their and our own history.

Do I think this hobby needs a line of figures of famous murderers? No. But Jack the Ripper is part of our popular culture. According to Wikipedia, the source of mostly accurate information, "The Ripper appears in novels, short stories, poems, comic books, games, songs, plays, operas, television programmes and films." My friends even have a board game called Mr Jack. If it makes you feel any better, Jack the Ripper tends to lose. There are numerous works, including that game, that have combined the world of Jack the Ripper with Sherlock Holmes. I'd like to think the recent Jack the Ripper figure release is more about this fictionalized version rather than the actual man. I think that view makes even more sense considering the recent release of a Sherlock Holmes figure from the same manufacturer.
  9. Jameson New Member

Canada
    Hi Guys,
    Although I don't normally get involved in this sort of discourse and would be considered a casual member of the forum by by weight of contribution, I feel a comment is necessary here.
    This forum is my fav and I view it every day because I enjoy this hobby and the works of so many of you. Gordy has created a place for all of us to view, contribute to and discuss the hobby we all love so much. This type and style of discussion demeans everything positive about who we are, what we do and enjoy. To a new or casual observer this kind of crappy bickering can quickly put a pretty shabby face on it. This is not a good thing when we are always looking for new membership to our hobby and this forum. Don't forget guys, 'opinions are like a--holes, everyone has one'. My advice to all...always consider the source of any opinion before launching into or being sucked into public displays of petty negativity that doesn't go anywere but downhill, as evidenced by this thread.
  10. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A lot of butthurt detected and displayed...
    A lot of trolls fed.
    All has been said in dozens of other threads.

Gordy, may be its time to close the canteen ?

PS> I think there also should be a " Dislike" button. A simple way to let know if one disapproves
    Meehan34 likes this.
  11. Jazz A Fixture

England
    I really dont know why DC is so upset about this subject. We paint figures from all periods of history, and history is always bloody. I know that I havent seen eye to eye with Series 7 in the past, and I am sorry about that, but Series 7 is right in my opinion. I dont know who DC is, and I dont want to know, but this all sounds very personal and he needs to stop this now. This is a site for friendly modellers. If DC wants to have a go at Jack the Ripper then there are plenty of sites out there that are fans of his. Have a go at them, not us.
  12. polyphemus Well-Known Member

May I paraphrase the lyrics from a song by Tom Waits;

There's one thing you can say about mankind, there's nothing kind about man.

I agree with Dimitry this thread needs to be shut down.

Geoff
  13. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    This immature thread would perhaps have been enjoyable had it been more witty, funny or more self-aware? Or perhaps even had a conclussion?

Janne Nilsson
  14. diamond cutter Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I DO agree with the last few comments
    It's just that I REALLY like whores. A lot
    And my nickname at the local hothouse IS ---BIG Pete.
    They need love just like the rest of us.
    Addios
  15. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ditto. Everyone's vented (y)
    Tommi, NickM, Steve and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.