1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Continuing my Agincourt pieces

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by carpo, Dec 23, 2005.

1. carpo Active Member

Australia
    These images have been edited and now show the completed model so some of the comments below will not necessarily follow from this point (ie the armor is now finished) Thanks to all who provided feedback to make this model one I am very happy with.

Here is the general result of my work on the heraldry of the Duke of Gloucester.
    I think it would be so much easier to work over decals to produce these designs.
    It would be easier if it weren't 54mm too!
    Carpo

Attached Files:

2. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice piece of work. A fav subject but alas, my painting skill is not up to the task.
  3. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Hi!
    Beautiful painting, Carpo. Can't wait finish!

Merry Christmas
    Artur
  4. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Paul,
    I'd say you're doing a fine job so far! The heraldry looks mighty fine! Keep up the good work.

Jay H.
    OKC
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful painting! The heraldry particularly is amazing! I envy you both your eyes and your painting skills! ;)

All the best,
    Dan
  6. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    The heraldry looks mighty fine, Paul.
    I wish I could paint like that.

The armour looks a little dead, perhaps more depth?

Cheers
  7. carpo Active Member

Australia
    He he - thanks for the feed back
    The armour probably looks dead because I haven't painted it yet ;) although I have done his helmet and the armour around his neck.
    I am in the middle of moving house (to another state - some 1600km.) so there is precious little time to paint at the moment.
    I hope to post finished pics of this guy in a couple of weeks.
    Carpo
  8. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Hi again, Paul!

I was also meaning the helmet and the piece around the neck. Im not sure how you do the armour but i looks like polished metal with some smoke on it?

If thats the case perhaps one or two thin washes of smoke would add the depth?
    Perhaps more like Roccos armour in a recent thread? Thats the kind of armour effect I like.
    Roccos dying knight

Another method is using Humbrol gloss black with Printers Ink but Im sure theres plenty of other methods.

Cheers
  9. carpo Active Member

Australia
    Hi again,
    Sorry to be so slow to get back.
    I paint my metallics with a base acrylic coat and then wash over with "Gun Metal" - similar to smoke I guess.
    I then use Humbrol metallisers to polish and blend the final result. Really deep areas get a little black wash.
    The final shades go from near black to very bright silver.
    It is possible that a little of the effect is lost in my photography but I don't think I could get any more contrast if I tried!
    I still have some finishing touches to do but I am happy with the results so far.
    Carpo
  10. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Paul, glad your back, looking forward to your next step.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  11. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Looks very nice, Paul. How are painting the gems in the helmet?

Keith
  12. carpo Active Member

Australia
    Good question! I have painted the gems white and then glazed with reds and greens to achieve the gem-my effect. I think I will leave the string of pearls as they are - had pearls made it to England in 1415? If not I will pass them off as semi precious stones.
    If anyone has any detail as to what sort of gems were used - I would appreciate it!
    Carpo
  13. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work Paul,

I really like your painting of the Duke.

Marc
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Paul, The heraldry looks good, and is probably a bit of a task to do in that scale.~Gary
  15. carpo Active Member

Australia
    Here is the Duke pretty much done.
    Photo isn't the best but I took it in bad light with a flash so u can't expect much from that.
    The armour is finished but some little straps here and there need to be done.
    It seems that painting armour gets harder with practice!! It shouldn't work that way :(
    Only another dozen or so to go and the diorama will start to take shape!
    Carpo
    [IMG]