1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Contactless bank cards

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Babelfish, May 28, 2022.

1. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Everyone's waving them around these days but from a security standpoint, whoever thought they were a good idea?!!

Lose it and whoever finds (or steals) it can then have a ball at your expense until you can get it blocked. They don't need to forge your signature, they don't need to know your PIN. All they have to do is wave it at a contactless terminal.

Eventually you should get your money back from the bank if you report it. But that's a real ball-ache and can take weeks. Who needs the hassle and the worry?!

One of those ideas that looks great in theory but isn't so great in practice. For the sake of the few seconds it takes to enter a PIN, I much prefer that system. Much safer.

- Steve
    Mirofsoft likes this.
  2. Banjer A Fixture

England
    The problem as I see it is even if you never use it contactless the it is built into the card so someone else can. There is a sort of security with it as every six to eight transactions you are prompted to use your PIN.

A very convenient way to pay but I agree fraught with danger although the bank takes the hit if used fraudulently ( hopefully).

Bill
    Babelfish likes this.
  3. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I prefer to use cash. I'm not keen on anybody knowing, what I buy.

That's silly, people tell me. Who cares how much washing powder you buy, or bacon, or broccoli, or chocolate, or what newspaper you take, or sigarettes you smoke or .....

Wait... you smoke sigarettes? That will affect your health insurance premium.
    Wait.. you buy 5 bottles of wine a week? 12 cans of beer? That will double your car insurance...
    Wait, you bought three bags of self raising flour, and a hair bleaching kit? And last week you bought a pack of batteries? Knock knock.....

If I tell you, that many truck drivers, now have a camera in front of them, recording them, would you be surprised? Would you think that's OK? They are driving, and it only shows them up if they do something they shouldn't? So what, during their break? Should they be filmed? No, it's their free time. But what if they do something that affects their driving afterwards?

Use cash. It's a slippery slope.
    Mirofsoft, Babelfish and Nap like this.
  4. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Edit..........dumb comment.

Wayne
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Instant cash !

What if they use their card .......do you carry a card machine as well ...lol

Cash for me ....just would like a bit more sometimes !

As others have said this is a slippery slope we are on

Nap
  6. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I now have apple pay on my phone and one of the best payment methods I have come across so far, no wallet to take out with with debit\credit card, no hacking possible even if phone was stolen or lost as it works from face recognition to initiate it, just present the phone to the card reader and done. Works for me. I not ever had more than £40 in my wallet in the past 3 years and rarely need cash for anything. Cant remember the last time I went to cash point tbh.
    Tommi