1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Confederate States Marine Corps

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Jul 8, 2006.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The full figure.

Attached Files:

2. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Great work so far, Gary. Very good subject. Can't wait finish, this figure will be great! I'm your fan :)
    it is for collector...what a pity!
    best regards
    Artur
  3. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    He's coming along really well Gary...I like the pose, (was it difficult to get? it looks very natural) especially with the inclusion of the steps. The face looks even better now with the addition of the hair and Kepi.

All the best...Roy.
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    A little update on the marine. I'm in the process of playing catch up on my figure projects.

Attached Files:

5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I will say that posing a figure steps is not the easiest thing to do. The figure leans a bit as it is lightly Blu-Tac'd in place.

Attached Files:

6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Great pose and superb figure! As always! :eek: ;)

Are you finished with the carving?

The kepi is really fine-looking! Are you using cardstock for the cap bill? I'm debating with myself whether to try some scrap plastic or resin or maybe even thick lead to do a couple Russian budenka cap bills. The funny thing about these bills is they both need to show a little flex and they have 3 heavy or deep seams in them. ?? I'm sure I'll figure somethin' out.

All the best,
    Dan
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan, Thanks for the kind words. Things have been really going way too slow with the two 54's and the sbs figure (remember that?) that I've been working on. After these are done I may take a break and just concentrate on painting a few figure studies, though I'm sure the odd figure will manage to sneak into the mix. I just turned 40 (don't feel it) and the only place I notice a difference is with my eyesight. Though I just got new glasses not too long ago I do not think I'll be doing many more 54's that is unless magnification is involved.~Gary
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I hear you about the eyesight. I'm 57 and that's why I don't do smaller scales.

All the best,
    Dan
  9. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan,

Try to use lead foil, is some great stuff! I have been using a lot of it lately for cowboy hats and other wide brimmed head gear. I am sure it would work like a charm for you.

You can get some from VLS at www.modelmecca.com
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    WOW! In my young old age I totally forgot about your questions. Yess, I did use plastic for the visor. Though it is thin enough, putty probably would be better in some cases. It worked here and is stronger than putty at that thickness.

As for the carving, it's pretty much done.~Gary
  11. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Excellent Gary. I've really enjoyed watching him come to life. Top notch stuff.

John
  12. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Gary and Anders!

All the best,
    Dan
  13. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Great sculpting, Gary. Well done!

best regards
    Artur
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member