1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Confederate oficer bust finished!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi everyone,
    I've finally finished my Confederate officer bust.
    It's resin, 1/10th scale and made by Bonapartes.
    For those of you not familiar with long the story behind it, I replaced the hat in his left hand with a scratch built spyglass. I had to do this because when I was cleaning it up, the brim snapped and I wasn't able to fix it well enough to still use it.
    To all of those that took the time to offer comments to me, thank you for your help. I used your suggestions where I thought I could without too much difficulty. This one took long enough without risking screwing it up any more than I already have :p .
    I'd appreciate any thought you have on how it turned out.
    Thanks again,
    Craig
    Here are a couple of pictures...

Attached Files:

2. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Another shot..

Attached Files:

3. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Third and last...

Attached Files:

4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful work Craig. I like the changes you have made. Super work.
  5. Von Bock Well-Known Member

United-States
    Craig well I really like it i mean really like it. the telescope was a GREAT idea. Keep up the fine work. Brock
  6. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looks GREAT Craig! Can't wait to see him in the flesh.

Jason
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Craig,

I say it before, that it is gonna be a masterpiece. See how it is turned out. A MASTERPIECE.

Marc
  8. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Super, Craig. I like the work on the greys. Very effective.
    One of your best yet!

Keith
  9. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for the kind comments.
    Some feedback I got over on Armorama was the on the eyes and the eyebrows. I have to agree that the eyes could be a lot better. The black pupils disappear in the brown eyecolor so I'm probably going to try redoing them in green. And I think another dark wash on the eyebrows might help too.
    Jason, I'm looking forward meeting up with you at MFCA and saying hello there.
    As the show gets closer, I'll try to remember to start a thread about arranging a planetFigure rendevous there :) . And be sure to wear you planetFigure name badge too. I've got mine :) .
    Craig
  10. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    Very nice work. I like the golden embrodery and the uniform.
  11. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Craig!

Great work on your bust! Regarding the eyes, the key to eyes are to paint the iris color lighter so that you can paint the black pupil. I would also suggest adding a catchlight in each eye, really brings them alive!

Keep it up! Whats the next project now that this one is finished?
  12. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi Anders,
    Good to hear from you again.
    I don't know what I was thinking when I tried to paint the eyes brown. Should have known better than that. Thanks for the tips.
    As for what's next, I'm donig a reapir job that's long overdue. Shouldn't take long unless I screw it up again :) . plus I've got that Klingon Bird of Prey that O've been working on too. As for figures, I'm looking at that Andrea Deep Sea Diver bust I recently bought. Pretty sweet kit. How about you? I see you've been doing a lot of sculpting lately and it looks really good. But are you painting anything too? I miss seeing what you do with eyes.
    Craig
  13. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Craig!

Thanks for asking :)

I am not painting on anything as of yet, however Id like to put some paint on that Andrea WWI bust conversion I did a while back. Other then that I am working on a bunch of different projects including, 4 Iraqi insurgents (all in various stages of completion) a WWII US tanker figure, a 1/9th scale WWII US tanker bust, and a 1/48th scale german officer. So much to do so little time!

Im looking forward to your Navy Diver bust, looked real nice in the review you wrote up.