1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Confederate Cavalry Officer, 1861

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Dec 3, 2014.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey Y'all

Finished this lovely sculpt from H&V last night. The sculpt is called "Southern Pride". The tale of this project is in a WIP thread of the same title.
    616679653_o.jpg
    I've placed our Johnny Rebel standing in front of his yard, waiting for his unit to come together in the couple of weeks before the First Manassass, known in the North as the First Bull Run. At the opening of the war, the Confederates were nicely turned out. Southern gentry like this young man were particularly well kitted, using their own wealth to buy the best in uniform, weaponry, saddlery and horseflesh to cut a rather dashing figure.
    1DSC01445.JPG 2DSC01444.JPG DSC01420.jpg DSC01422.jpg DSC01424.jpg DSC01425.jpg DSC01426.jpg DSC01428.jpg DSC01429.jpg DSC01430.jpg DSC01431.jpg DSC01432.jpg DSC01433.jpg DSC01434.jpg DSC01435.jpg DSC01436.jpg DSC01437.jpg DSC01438.jpg DSC01442.jpg DSC01443.jpg
    A fantastic sculpt from H&V... painted in Vallejo acrylics and mounted on a home cut and polished chunk of Silver Maple.

Thanx for looking in. All comments and critiques are most welcome.

Cheers

Colin
    Martin64, Mike S., TD2802 and 16 others like this.
  2. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    BTW, I noticed when I was cropping the pics... I have some touching up to do on the hair. I must have rubbed the paint off the tips of his hair on the right side of his head... Ooops :facepalm:

I'll have to rectify this

Colin
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Your best yet Colin. The setting is perfect too. Right out of Gone with the Wind.

Colin
    ChaosCossack and zane666 like this.
  4. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Nice looking figure, Colin. Great painting, you've got the character and setting spot on (y)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. Macca G A Fixture

Australia
    Great Job! What scale is that?
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Very nice facial expression too Colin. Well done.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very very beautiful work. Nicely done Colin.

Xenofon
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work Colin, well done (y)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  9. Ray Welshman Active Member

Great job as usual

Cheers

Ray
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    A great finish all around Colin.
    Very well painted.
    Keith
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  11. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    I have to agree with Colin, this is your best yet. A superbly painted figure set off by some equally outstanding groundwork, well done mate. I'd be entering it in the next competition before your cat has a chew on it.

regardsZane
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Excellent work colin!!!!
    Your time, detail and good painting technique paid it off my friend.
    I think that this is one of the best you've done so far, as far as the ground works...just jaw dropping on that base,couldn't come up better than that.
    I really enjoy it every step of the process.
    Best regards :)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Wow! Thanks so much for all the kind words guys.
    This was an interesting piece to work on... Both fun and frustrating at the same time. Gray and yellow are less than forgiving at the best of times.
    I tried a few different things on the face that aren't usually part of my mixes including adding a touch of violet. After an evening discussion at the hospitality room in Chicago about shading to contour the face, I really tried to use that to narrow and deepen the planes of this fig's features... try and lessen the "doll face" effect. Thanks for the advice Allan.

I appreciate the positive feedback, it pushes me to keep trying different things and experiment.

Cheers

Colin
  14. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Great Work Colin!! You've managed this one very well!
    I like the figure and the terrain! Very nice!

Regards
    Pedro
  15. Ferris A Fixture

It turned out great Colin. I like your choice for the yellow trimming. I wasn't aware of the different branch colours and am now considering how to do mine. Maybe cream colour trimming? I believe that was for staff?
    I also very much like the fence and how you understated the eye bags, which are quite prominently sculpted.
    Nice work on the woodwork as well! It looks expensive....

Cheers,
    Adrian
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  16. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Well done, Colin!

Cheers
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  17. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Pedro, Martin and Adrian for the kind words.

Adrian, you're right, facings for general staff was a light cream or buff. Yellow for cavalry, mid blue for infantry, red for artillery and many local militias used black.

The wood was free... you just have to wait for an ice storm to knock down a couple of trees in your backyard ;)

Colin
  18. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    Colin,

Very nice work. I didn't care for this figure but once again someones painting has entranced me to a figure!!

I wonder what has gotten into you and the other Colin? You have been working on figures feverishly since October??!!o_O:rolleyes::LOL:

Bob
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  19. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    You did a fine job of making an otherwise dull gray figure into a colorful example of southern gentile. The excellent ground work appropriately sets a place and time.

Good on you to take advantage of fine oak chunks that just land in your yard!

Joe
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  20. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Nice work Colin.
    ChaosCossack likes this.