1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Confederate Captain from Adalid Models

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to all on PF ,

After a particularly hectic time , work and having holidays (well SWMBO insisted) , following on from my initial posts announcing the birth of Adalid Models to all :

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/a-warm-welcome-to-adalid-models.48232/watch-confirm

Its now my pleasure to be able to show you a product from them ...a bust ...well it had to be really from me !!!

Whats the subject of this review :

Title: Confederate Captain (this reads with an additional "d" on the box )

Reference: BH 001

Scale: 1/7th

No of Pieces: 4

Material: Resin and White metal

Sculptor: Pablo Ronda

Concept and Box Art: Eduardo Sanchez

The model was received well packed and quickly from Adalid with the model being secured in a clear plastic container together with a colour picture of the finished model box depicting a Cavalry Captain with Yellow facings .

Before we go any farther lets have a little bit of details about the Confederacy in particular the Cavalry branch as this is what is depicted on the box art , looking a little at the leaders .

A Confederate was, on average, considered a superior horseman to his Union counterpart, especially early in the war. Roads in the rural South were generally poor, and horses were used more for individual transportation than they were for the carriages and streetcars of the urbanized North, where many of the early Federal cavalry regiments were formed.

Furthermore, Southern society was more stratified, which made the soldiers more accustomed to a hierarchy of command and were generally considered more suited to the martial lifestyle. Additionally, the strong militia tradition in the antebellum South and the requirements for local 'slave catcher' patrols led to the development of mounted units prior to 1861.

Confederate soldiers owned their horses and were compensated on a monthly basis. If a soldier's horse was sick, injured, or killed, the soldier was responsible for returning home and replacing the horse at his own expense. The general rule was that the soldier had 60 days to return with a new horse or he was forced to become an infantryman, which was considered to be an ignominious fate.
    The first prominent Confederate cavalry leader was J.E.B. Stuart, who achieved success at Bull Run against infantry. He was a flamboyant dresser and an audacious commander, wildly popular with the Southern public for his escapades in twice encircling the Army of the Potomac. These long-range reconnaissance missions accomplished little of military value but boosted Southern morale. After Stuart's death in 1864, he was replaced by Wade Hampton, who was a more mature, and arguably more effective, commander. Another Eastern commander of note was Turner Ashby known as the "Black Knight of the Confederacy", who commanded cavalry forces in the Valley Campaign; he was killed in battle in 1862.

In the West, the most fearless, and ruthless, cavalry commander was Nathan Bedford Forrest, who achieved spectacular results with small forces but was an ineffective subordinate to the army commanders he was supposed to support, resulting in poorly coordinated battles.

Much of the same issues could be said of John Morgan Forrest's counterpart

In the East, the Partisan Ranger John Mosby succeeded in tying down upwards of 40,000 Federal troops defending rail lines and logistical hubs with only 100-150 irregulars.

Continued in next post:

Nap

confecapi1.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Nap Moderator

England
    On now to the actual model itself<

This was as I said received well packed and quickly , consisting of 4 pieces (I actually had 5!!!) , the main torso and hat are in a cream coloured resin , the torso includes the head already included , the white metal pieces included a rather large feather for the hat and 2 (yes I had an additional one) pieces of straw .

The packaging is a strong see through container with the pieces secured in an addtional plastic bag .......be careful you don't loose the corn stalk(s) to the carpet muncher that inhabits all our modelling spaces !!!! .

We also have a full colour picture of a painted version very nicely painted byEduardo, if you want more views the just go to the website or blog .

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

3. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets look first at the largest of the pieces ..the torso

A small amount of prep work is needed to remove casting lines along the shoudlers , and the side of the neck and also on the top of the head (this will ensure a near perfect fit of the hat) , the undersides there is also a casting plug and mould line to deal with ..out comes the razor saw , sanding blocks and there you have it easily sorted .

As shown it comes already with the head attached , he wears a frock coat with the double row of buttons , one of the top ones are undone with the cloth hanging very naturally .

On his collar you have the 3 bars of a Captain , although it would be a very easy job to replace these with a different rank.

Detailing is very nicely done , but not overstated , the folds in the coat are natural with button holes beig well shown .

The head is a nice sculpt , long hair with a great moustache and a little goatee beard , nice facial features on the subject , particularly on the forehead , I see this confederate as having seen some action , he has aged before his time ..fighting for a cause he is passionate about.

The eyes are well done as well with good definition on the cheeks and chin , all of which will make this a painters model and provide hours of fun with minimal prep.

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

4. Nap Moderator

England
    Moving on now to the hat he wears :

Again cast in a cream resin with the right side turned up , and held with a badge with CSA , the hat cords are also included .

You will need to do some prep on the edges and undersides removing and cleaning up any excess from the casting , as before though not a poblem and easily done ..

The cords themselves are very well done , under these you have a hatband , on the underside there is a triangle cut out which matches the opposite on the top of the head allowing for a really good fit , with only a minimal amout of filler being needed around the lower edges where it meets the hairline.

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

5. Nap Moderator

England
    Finally lets have a look at the White metal pieces :

The feather and the corn stalks , I am unsure as to why the feather was cast in this medium , but having said that sculpting is very good indeed with the feather fronds being well defined , there is also a nice cockade as well , one thing I would advise is to pin this if you decide to use it as its quite a heavy piece compared to resin, speaking to ther modellers I tend to agree with them and would probably resculpt one using putty , this is a purely personal choice , this would allow it to hang more softly IMO ...if you don't use it then keep it in the spares box .

The cornstalks are nicely done as well but tiny !!!! and these are better IMO being in white metal ...be careful when you take your pride and joy to shows !!!

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

6. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nice, loads of character. However that pale blue coat is just not what my studies on the subject lead me to think of as something that was worn. I had a very good friend who lived by "never say never" with regard to Confederate dress so I will not say never, but more "when and where?" As with most nitpicking this in no way diminishes the quality of either the sculpt nor the paint job. Great on both counts.--
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets now put it all together ,

As you can see a very nice result can be obtained , you have the option of reworking the rank , the feather if you so wish , prep is minimal amd once this has been done a this piece will give you a nice display in the ever filling cabinet .

The sculpt is full of character , nicely presented and a welcome subject , I particularly like the addition of the corns stalk he has in his mouth although this could easily be replaced by a cigar .

References about for the ACW , including the Osprey series , the old Blandford book , contains a picture of a Confederate with the corn!!!!!

I have no hesitation in recommending this , its great to see a new company with new idea's ..................

I will be doing more reviews from Adalid so keep a look out .

Available direct from them via the website or contact them at info@adalidmodels.com

Nap

Attached Files:

8. Nap Moderator

England

Steve ,
    Confederate uniform colours ...a veritable quicksand of information , I have like many members lots of details on these some showing distinctly non regulationcolours being used so like you said "I will not say never, but more "when and where" .

Have a look at the website for the Union Officer ..the Hardee hat in particular !!!! ...I have no info on it being blue ..perhaps others could assist there in a different thread ?

But like you said full of character and a great sculpt

Nap

Nap
  9. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    That blue Hardee has mystified me also as I see it in more than one place. I suspect it is accurate but can't find it in my library. Gary Dombrowski, can you shed light on this?