1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Concepts in Painting Miniatures, by Alex Castro

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Elia Cid, Feb 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Ok Alan (y) . Just for the record though, I never questioned the attitude towards other figure painters of these people - really just wanted to raise a point if it wouldn't be good to have them participate here. And hey, I did talk to Mike Blank long ago, and even had the occasion to pick up one of his figures and study it :lol: . Guess Mike doesn't remember that however, he talked with so many people over the years.... oh well. I recall he was a friendly chap indeed.

The one man I regret not having talked with about his figures is Derek Hansen... D'you have any idea why he seems to have disappeared?
  2. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Alan,

The people participating and contributing to this forum aren't exactly living on welfare either. ;)

They also have jobs and spend most of their spare time trying to improve their techniques.

Quang
  3. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Put it in another way: we are mere mortals (and not gods) because we're wasting all our time in mundane things such as forum like this one.

Gods don't bother with such mundanity and devote all their precious time to their Art. That's why they're gods.

Alan, you're too much a nice guy to play the elitist.

Q.
  4. JohnLea New Member

I know that Bob Knee has a computer and avoids it like the plague. As far as the list of names goes, I suspect that whatever spare time these folks have is spent painting or with their families rather than on the Internet considering that most, if not all, have 9-5 jobs as well.
  5. Scott Pierce New Member

Hello all:

Great site with an intelligent, fun forum.

I love all kinds of models and minatures especially monster models since I am so into Horror.

I'm looking forward to Alex's book with anticipation because I've known Alex for some time now and have many models in my cases that he brought to life. And that is the key to why I think Alex is the greatest model/minatures painter ever!

But he is a close friend of him so it's all talk to get people to buy his book you are probably thinking. Not true because there was a time when I didn't know Alex and when he showed me his work I immediately knew this guy was no ordinary painter. I needed him to do my Lon Chaney kit and I'll tell you folks- Lon Chaney isn't dead because he is right in my case. That is how good it looks. He brought it to life and that is his skill alone.

He goes beyond what most painters do to a piece and has his particular techniques that he invented.

Alex is not an egotist but rather humble and easy to talk to. He has confidence and that is different than ego. From the rest of Alex's posts you can tell he is this way because of the way he responded. Did he jump down anyones throat? No. Look what isn't said rather than what is.

I've been hearing Alex share his secrets with me over the years and am happy the world will get to hear them too and trust me- They will change all what you thought you knew. These ideas, philosophies and techniques are revolutionary.

April can't come soon enough because then everyone will know what I already know.

Sincerely,
    Scott Pierce
  6. mikec55 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    All I know is that if I could paint like Mr. Castro, there would be great potential for me to be one of the more insufferable life forms on the planet. I'm glad he's willing to share some of his secrets & I look forward to the release of his book. My only problem is that I'm not sure if his work inspires me to work harder or to start a big bonfire with my brushes.

Mike
  7. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Johann,

Hello old unmet friend!

My guess is Mike would remember you. He remembers everyone. One of the nicest in the hobby. Who could forget you anyway? ;-) I never met you and I couldn't!

The "Gods" don't post here because they probably don't know "here" exists. I know for a fact that many of the "Gods" don't even go on the interent because they work and then paint-no time for a computer.

As far as "elitists" go, that's BS. I've been in the hobby 14 years and have yet to meet one, yet those who never bothered to try to meet the "greats" love to say they exist. If there are 'an elite" it is because the rest never bothered to try to meet them or they themselves feel insignificant and never bothered to say "hi". Not being snotty, just an observation.

If ahyone is a member of the "elite" it's Alan, and yet he's here, talking and responding isn't he?

I look forward to Alex's book, there is no need for multiple justifications of his work. If I have any doubt, I am sure it will be either cast out or overcome by the book.

Thank you Alex, and thank you for taking the EFFORT to do something. I am sorry that by the responses here it seems as though I have stirred the pot against you, that was not my intent. I like to get people to think. I don't care about others opinions of your work. I want to see it either live or in your book. I look forward to your book in any case. Or preferably meeting you. As I said earlier. I reserve judgement of anything until then.

Sincerest regards,
    Lou Masses
  8. Alan Guest

Ah , Dear Mr Q.you old pot stirrer
    Don't "Put it another way " read it as I wrote it

Anyone would think from your note that you think there are "Gods" out there with a magic secret formula to painting too ...............no , of course you don't , only Joking

Of course people here have jobs and also spend most of their time trying to improve , but saying that some people aren't aware of this Forum isn't being elitist .............it just means.............. they probably don't know it's here (y)

I don't think there is an "Elite" ........but would be interested in people's definition of one .........How are they supposed to be different..........no really , i'm interested ?

Johan , I have no idea about Derek Hansen, I have never met or spoken to him either , I loved his stuff though.

Can I look at what you wrote (with tongue firmly in cheek )..."I never questioned the attitude towards other figure painters of these people - really just wanted to raise a point if it wouldn't be good to have them participate here." doesn't that tell me is that you are castigating the people you mentioned NOT for not talking to you or being friendly , but for not talking to you in the place of your choice ................You'll be accused of being a Planet Figure Elitist next :lol:
  9. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I heard a rumour that Derek Hansenis now just apinting 2 dimensionally.

I loved his work too.

Robin
  10. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Alan,

I may be a pot-stirrer but YOU gave me the pot to stir in.

OK, let's go back to how this 'god' thing started.

It all started when someone asked after Alex's credentials. Something which has NEVER happened in this forum since it was created.

Is it because some 'people' out there saw Alex's breaking news as a threat to their 'supremacy' or as a breach to their own (in)security? I don't know. (If it's so, it'd make Alex's book even more worthwhile. Hey Alex, you'd better deliver!)

The fact is that this great forum is created, maintained and kept alive by people with NO CREDENTIALS whatsoever except for the works they are showing and their will to share and make this hobby progress.

So when Johan asked his legitimate question (" You wanted credentials. So where are the people with credentials and are they willing to share with us on this forum?"), does that make him a snob?

AFAIK, up til now, we've got no DIRECT answer from the people concerned. Let's wait and see.

As to the elite issue, just keep in mind that 'elite' wouldn't exist except for the people who considered them so and put themselves at their service. There's no master without slave and there's no god without servant.

A typical elitist stance? "Shh! Stop the clatter. Master is at work."

Quang. Still stirring
  11. JohnLea New Member

"AFAIK, up til now, we've got no DIRECT answer from the people concerned. Let's wait and see."

Whoa Nellie! We are going to wait for people who don't drop by to comment???

It is lots of fun though and may even get me to paint up a brush again.
  12. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello John,

I said 'wait' because Johan (the other pot-stirrer) said he would send 'invitation' e-mails to the people in question.

Having said that, I won't be holding my breath! :lol:

Q.
  13. Patrick Kirk New Member

Heya Alan!
    This is an excellent forum and now it's even better with you amoung us! Hope all is well and please give Marion my best...looking forward to seeing you at MFCA this year!
    All the best my friend

Patrick
  14. Alan Guest

Thanks Patrick .nice to see you here too

Quang, to continue a now very rambling thread .and to give you some motre pots I don't think of myself as elitist or anybody to think any better of . I'm trying to improve as much as anybody else .....after all if "you"(meaning anybody) think there is nothing to learn you just aren''t aware of what you don't know ..........or something like that :lol:

Asking for Credentials is not normal granted( most people offer a little information about themselves in their posts without asking anyway) , but neither I would submit is Alex's stance . In my first posting here I pointed out that Extreme, or Hyped posts usually elicite extreme, or hyped responses.

To be honest, I wouldn't class a normal post something that promisses to change the whole way of working that most people are using and revolutionise the whole area of the way people paint ( alright , I know that is putting it in my own words and not his , but some of the follow on posts point that way )..surely there must be more to it than the bald statements , some very funny headings for a book that is to be published by someone at some time ( April I believe from someone else's post )and a few Photographs ...

The bottom line is that he piqued peoples interest, and surely that was the intent ?, if it was the intent , then surely he must have expected at least one question ?. Lets face it the responses so far have been far from illuminating and have tended to fuel the interest......Alex has not even replied to the question as to who is to publish the book ......how can we get it ? Where and when will it be available ? how much will it cost ?..........silence so far !.
    Now if you are saying that people aren't allowed to ask...... or that the very fact of asking causes offence , then why did anybody ask who "BrokenArrow " was ................surely it doesn't matter who he is , his Post is everything ( to paraphrase again ) and I just can't buy that .

Now I don't personally feel threatened by that , I don't feel "Supreme" in any way , and I do feel secure enough in myself .
    Johan is not a snob, but I though it was interesting to look at his question ...and I guess I'm allowed to do that ......?

Oh well...........it's all a lot of fun anyway :lol:
  15. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Quang,

To Alan's point, under normal circumstances one might not ask for "credentials" either here or in any other arena in our hobby.

However, when one positions himself as a "teacher" who will revolutionize the way we all think. I for one would like to see credentials. Every teacher I've ever had in any endeavor has had at the very least a degree, experience and proven track record. That's not to say you can't learn from an inexperienced person, but they usually don't make groundbreaking claims. <_<

If it's marketing hype, then sell it! But as Alan said also, no further info has developed.

What I do find interesting is the thought that "an Elite group" of figure painters somewhere in some Masonic lodge is now scurrying in a panic because someone is rising up the ranks and will threaten the very way we all paint and they will no longer be an Elite. C'mon, sounds like the plot of a Dan Brown book and it also sounds alot like the old story about the "evil gaggle of conspiring judges" who all work to insure that only their friends receive awards and keep everyone else down at the bronze level.

I am tempted to follow up Johan's e-mail with one to them telling them not to come post just to keep the myth alive.

I think I can fairly estimate that no one is threatened by this book. I think we just want to know more about it and the person who is writing it. That's all. No need for anyone to get upset, or defensive, or post praise that amounts to movie critic quotes for a movie - has no effect on getting people to buy.
  16. Roc Active Member

United-States
    I for one am greatful to have in this forum artists of Alan's and Quang's caliber, very talented and as a result have purchased many of their figures;
    I can tell by reading their posts that either one considers himsel an elitist,and truly comes across as humble and helpful to all of us.

We all agree that Mr Castro's presence will make the planet a better place where we can visit and pick up new techniques.he has been very generous with his postings and his advice, I'm sure it's appreciated,and most of us could care
    less about credentials

I think it's time to terminate this thread and move on to the subject of modeling and painting figures,which I believe is Gordy's intent.

To the real want to be elitists, Gods and exstreemly significant people,back off and stop discouraging people like Mr. Castro and other talented people from participating and posting.
    Just another insignificant.
    Roc.
  17. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    .....Funny how a question can be discouragement. Better to be a lemming I suppose.
  18. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys,

I was hoping this would finally end but it seems like it will not happen. I would like to say that I used to be a regular visitor to another site but have stopped visiting it because of things like this. I am not going to point fingers at anyone but please let me and the rest of the site get back to what we enjoyed most, that is seeing and sharing ideas with each other. I have had so much help from many on this site that I do not want to see it come to an end by someone getting offended and then his friends and so on. I do think that Lou had a point and I would like to know myself, where are we going to be able to purchase Alex's book? As far as the best or the worst who cares? I have learned from some of the best and from some that are just starting.

Thanks,

Joe :)
  19. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    failing to have a suitable capstone for this thread...
    gonna close it..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.