1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Completed L'Olonnais after one year +

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Bowery, Mar 7, 2015.

1. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Phew!!!!! Done
    LOlonnais1edt.jpg LOlonnais2edt.jpg LOlonnais4edt.jpg LOlonnais3edt.jpeg

This has been a loooong haul. :depressed: First dreading doing the patterns on the figure and then the three point joint that has to be done all at once. When I got to it, I found an easy way to do the joints and perhaps will help someone who had the same fears that I had about assembly.(y)

First carefully drill and put copper pins in the loose hand with sword and loose elbow with sword hilt. Drill larger deeper holes in the corresponding mating surfaces. Completely paint the parts before assembly. After the rest of the figure is painted and assembled and dry, lay the figure on his back. Now insert the two parts into the holes. Align the sword hand and the hilt hand so that the sword end will fit in the recess of the sword hilt. This is easy to do as the copper pins will easily bend to accommodate the pose. Remember the sword exiting the outside of the hand should be straight and not curved as nothing is making it curved. When you have this adjusted to your satisfaction just Super glue the sword into the recess and let the glue cure. :woot: You can now gently remove the glued unit and using 5 minute epoxy glue it back in and voila........ Easy. :D:D I had to fill with Aves epoxy putty and build up the sleeve a little at the elbow/hilt end, and then paint to look like the shirt. My fears were over.:singing::singing::singing:

There is no side light effects on him as this is not his final resting place as he will be placed into the Tavern scene when the other two figures are completed and the lamp will be somewhere else.

The post was also drilled and pegged with a hard paper clip and the post was positioned with a square to make sure it was perfectly upright.

The lamp is from the Model Shipways line and is large but will work O.K I think.

The label is from an SBS by Del and my thanks to him. It is misspelt but since this is not his final resting place I am not going to replace it . This base is for exhibit at this time only.

All comments are welcome and gratefully accepted
    Cheers
    John
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Looks really nice. He will be terrific in your scenic setting.

Colin
    John Bowery likes this.
  3. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Looking great mate. I've had this fella on my bench for ages. The fear of the patterns I want to paint on his clothing has stalled the project so far. Love yours!!
    John Bowery likes this.
  4. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Awesome free hand! Lovely piece!
    It is one of my favorite figures and you did a great job! Thanks for the assembly tip!
    Cheers,
    Zeno :)
    John Bowery likes this.
  5. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    This is great John. It really makes a refreshing change to see him painted in bright colours.
    The pattern work is extremely well handled and has been a successful choice with the colour scheme.
    Added to an excellent setting and you have a very eye-catching piece.
    Cheers
    Derek
    Great job on the plate.
    John Bowery and OldTaff like this.
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Well done John... I always liked this figure. I'm more than curious about his "final resting place". :sneaky:

Colin
    John Bowery likes this.
  7. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    This is a real dandy John (y)! I like your free hand work there and the color choices too.

Copper pins huh? I'm going to steal that idea :whistle:! Be sure to post some pics when your settle him in the final scene.

Joe
    John Bowery likes this.
  8. Indy Member

United-States
    WOW!
    John Bowery likes this.
  9. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Nice work.

Zane
    John Bowery likes this.
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    He turned out very well John.

Roger.
    John Bowery likes this.
  11. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    A very good figure, lovely painting and a superb SBS.
    Bob
    John Bowery likes this.
  12. JonH Active Member

Lovely bit of work John.
    Jon
    John Bowery likes this.
  13. waterloo1815 Active Member

United-States
    That's some REALLY nice painting John!! Looking forward to seeing the final scene!! Dave
    John Bowery likes this.
  14. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Marvelous and skillful painting, John! Incredible intricate and colorful patterns in the clothing!

All the best,
    Dan
    John Bowery and OldTaff like this.
  15. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Great! Lovely use of colour
    John Bowery likes this.
  16. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    Super job on a tuff figure!!

Bob
    John Bowery likes this.
  17. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi John,
    Very nice work, he looks a real dandy.
    cheers
    Richie
    John Bowery likes this.
  18. kenshin393 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nicely done. Makes me want to buckle some swashes.
    John Bowery likes this.
  19. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice work.

Marc
    John Bowery likes this.
  20. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great work John , these pegaso kits do take a lot of pre planning just to put together ; there is nothing straight forward in the paint and construction of any of them , this is a super job !
    well done , look forward to its final composition setting .

Ron
    John Bowery likes this.