1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Commissary Dalton

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, May 13, 2013.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    This is another project I am on with in tandem with "Maori" Browne. This is my depiction of James Langley Dalton, he was portrayed in the film Zulu as a bumbling character and that is so far from the truth.
    Having seen a lot of previous active service, Dalton was the pivotal character in the defence of Rorke's Drift. He was largely responsible not only for contributing the defensive position but also for persuading Chard and Bromhead not to run for Helpmaker some 12 miles away, as the Zulu's would have slaughtered them in the open. He was also a stalwart defender who was wounded and recognised by the award of his V.C. for his actions.
    220px-James_Langley_Dalton,_VC.jpg 862_001.jpg Dalton1.gif
    Again this is a conversion from a 120mm Roll Call figure, private 44th at Gandamak (Thanks again Luc). Basically I have cut away the bell top shako, cut and ground away all the uniform detail as the figure will have a new blue patrol jacket fashioned. The face has had some hair and a beard sculpted in milliput, I have also started work on the bottom of the jacket, still away to go on this one. He will thrusting one of Reedees Martini Henry's when I make the bayonet (cheers Steve, could not do these without you mate)

CIMG5787.JPG CIMG5791.JPG CIMG5794.JPG CIMG5832.JPG CIMG5833.JPG CIMG5842.JPG CIMG5843.JPG CIMG5845.JPG

Some background on James Langley Dalton.

James Langley Dalton VC (1833 – 7 January 1887) was an English recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest and most prestigious award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces.
    Born in London in 1833, Dalton enlisted in 85th Regiment of Foot in November 1849 at the age of 17. In 1862 he transferred to the Commissariat Corps at the rank of Corporal, and was promoted to Sergeant in 1863, and clerk and Staff Sergeant in 1867. He served with Sir Garnet Wolseley on the Red River Expedition in Canada in 1870, retiring from the army the next year. By 1877 he was living in South Africa and volunteered for service as Acting Assistant Commissary with the British Force.
    Dalton was approximately 46 years old, and an acting assistant commissary in the Commissariat and Transport Department (later Royal Army Service Corps), British Army during the Anglo-Zulu War when he was awarded the VC for action on 22 January 1879, at Rorke's Drift, Natal, South Africa.

image008.gif
    His citation in the London Gazette of 17 November 1879 reads:
    For his conspicuous gallantry during the attack on Rorke's Drift post by the Zulus on the night of the 22nd January 1879, when he actively superintended the work of the defence, and was amongst the foremost of those who received the first attack at the corner of the hospital, where the deadliness of his fire did great execution, and the mad rush of the Zulus met with its first check, and where, by his cool courage, he saved the life of a man of the Army Hospital Corps, by shooting the Zulu who having seized the muzzle of the man's rifle, was in the act of assuaging him. This officer, to whose energy much of the defence of the place was due, was severely wounded during the contest, but still continued to give the same example of cool courage.

cheers
    Richie
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Nice work and nice backgrounder.

Colin
    captnenglish likes this.
  3. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking good so far. Always enjoy back story, adds a huge amount to enjoyment of the figure :happy:
    Cheers
    Derek
  4. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin,
    Thanks for looking in and the support mate, glad you like the character. Hopefully my modelling will do him justice.

Hi Del,
    Thanks for looking in mate, I think when dealing with real characters or regiments it's nice to have that little bit of background to support the project. It's something that I really admire Nap for, as he does it particularly well when he does a post. They always say the best ideas are pinched:)
    cheers
    Richie
  5. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This looks a very brave conversion Ritchie and as mentioned a super background storey ,look forward to the finish .

Ron
  6. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking good, Ritchie, seems to be falling into place nicely - will follow with interest!

Steve(y)
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Richie ,

Great subject matter and really like the background to this very brave man , great figure to convert as well , like the way the beard looks .

The pose looks spot on and is going to look great when painted

Thanks for sharing this WIP

Nap
  8. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ron, Steve & Nap,
    Thanks for looking in lads and the support.

Nap do you have any good reference photo's in your library for the Victorian forage cap as worn by the commissariat department, so I can see the detail?
    cheers
    Richie
  9. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Nice to see what my grey army become(y)
    Great work.
    Impatient to see the figure finished.
    Luc;)
  10. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Luc,
    I could not have set off on my latest two projects without you releasing them from your grey army. Thank you very much again mate, hopefully I will do justice to them, better than collecting dust on a shelf.;)
    cheers
    Richie
  11. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great subject!
    Good luck with it Richie. Looking good so far.
    Gordon
  12. Dennis Active Member

England
    A great start in portraying the man many believed helped save the day at Rorke's Drift. I am really looking forward to seeing him completed. Thanks again for the great explanation and history.
    Cheers mate.
    Dennis
  13. Don Well-Known Member

Looking very good Richie but a super conversion and I look forward to seeing more of him.Tend to agree with Dennis, this is the guy who saved the day.
    Wonder if he regreted volunteering when he saw all those Zulu!

Don
  14. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Should be good Richie.
    Carl.
  15. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good to see you posting this one up mate, nice work on the facial hair, looks very good.

Steve
  16. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi - Gordon, Dennis, Don, Carl & Steve

Cheers lads, glad you like my conversion of a true Victorian hero and not how he was portrayed in modern times(otherwise he would have outshone Stanley Baker!). Will post again at the weekend when I've made some progress.

Don/Dennis - I agree I think he was pivotal at Rorke's Drift and something of a good shot too by all accounts.

Steve, I could get into this sculpting lark if the missus can stand the profanities.;)

cheers
    Richie
  17. Helm A Fixture

England
    Nice job Richie it's looking great mate
    Steve
  18. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Off to a great start Richie... I like how you flesh out these characters that are somewhere between the nameless private and a Grand Marshal of the Royal/Imperial Army of West Wherever. By digging up the backstory, you bring life to the figure and make him relatable.
    As usual, you are doing a great job massaging one figure into another completely different figure. Will you be pairing this one with the other conversion you posted?

Will be following closely

Colin
  19. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie,yet another interesting subject from you,this looks really good ,I will look forward to seeing him painted up :)
  20. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve - Thanks for looking in mate and the thumbs up. I saw the bust of your Dad at Steve's the other week and it looks superb mate, you were right a wonder he did not brain you.

Hi Colin - I'm glad you've jumped in mate, I am not going to pair this or the other one up they will be stand alone figures. But I do have plans in the future to have a few figures together.;)

Hi Brian - Thanks for the support mate always appreciated, still away to go before the paints come out mate I'm in the constructive zone at the minute.

Anyway a quick update I've had a few productive hours in, mainly getting up early and doing a bit before work. I have finished the head and forage cap, I have added an additional stripe to the trousers and put a bold braid on the rear of the jacket. I have also used the original Roll Call right hand and made a hybrid between this and one of Steve's (Reedees Miniatures) Martini Henry's. I have also resized the Roll Call bayonet and drilled out the bayonet so it fits over the barrel.
    Next I plan to tackle the braiding on the cuffs and the front of the jacket, so looking forward to a productive weekend.
    cheers
    Richie
    CIMG5855.JPG CIMG5856.JPG CIMG5857.JPG CIMG5858.JPG CIMG5859.JPG CIMG5860.JPG CIMG5862.JPG CIMG5864.JPG CIMG5865.JPG CIMG5866.JPG
    Ventress, Dr Force, mil-mart and 9 others like this.