1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Commander in Chief Gazi Mustafa Kemal Ataturk - Flat Figure

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by SERHAN OFLAS, Jul 4, 2015.

1. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    Hello,

This is my first flat figure sculpting trial still wip..

Reference dwg. :

[IMG]

Preperation :

[IMG]

[IMG]

Detailing :

[IMG]

[IMG]
    I carry on detailing around eyes and forehead atm. Thanks for looking.
    Blind Pew and crf like this.
  2. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Looking good already. Thanks for the idea on how to transfer a 2D darwing to a plaque. I have been temptd to have a go. My wife collects Wedgwood plaques by great sculptors like Flaxman. I have always thought they would look great painted and I have always wanted to have a go. Here is their Nelson.

image.jpg
  4. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good work Serhan. Concentrate on making things subtle and you will have a winner.

Decide early about things you want to sculpt, or make the paint do, if that makes sense.
  5. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    I was only know about the existence of Flats :) before feel ready to try.. Are there any internet site about flat figure modeling? I do not know what is common scale in flat world for example. I will lay my hands on this case after this.

Please do start flats Mr.Fraser. It was big pleasure that whole periode while working on it and I did not understood how time passed until Friday..

Thanks for commercial example from famous brand and sculptor name too.

Cheers,
    Serhan.
    crf likes this.
  6. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    Thank you Blind Pew. I will keep in mind your suggestion. Are there any internet sites for more information about Flats?

[IMG]

I temporarly put it in frame, I will find nicer frame later.

Cheers,
    Serhan.
    Blind Pew and crf like this.
  7. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I am sure the guys will be able to signpost you to various websites

For inspiration, I suggest you have a look at works of Vitalij Birzul, Russian sculptor who in my opinion produces best flat works I have ever seen. Its probably equally as inspiring as it is depressing because such skill is out of this world :)

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/question-sculpting-flats.45897/#post-466720

http://www.modelsculpt.org/threads/Фляга-с-барельефом-от-Василия-Бирзул.2369/

http://www.modelsculpt.org/threads/Стаканы-с-барельефом-от-Василия-Бирзул.2368/
    [IMG]
  8. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Try Steve Lloyd's excellent site Flat Tin Figures, Gary Dombrowski's blog and my website Rich Odell. Great to see someone else experimenting with flat sculpting, its a hard discipline to master (but a very rewarding once you get the hang of it). Brilliant first sculpt Serhan (y)

-Rich
    SERHAN OFLAS likes this.
  9. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  10. DancingShaman Active Member

Turkey
    Great idea Serhan. Bol şanş! ;)
    SERHAN OFLAS likes this.
  11. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I was unaware of Flaxmans work, many thanks for sharing that reference his work is an inspiration. Do consider trying a relief sculpt, we need more people to revitalise this area of sculpture.

-Rich
  12. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    Thanks for kind words and encouragement Mr.Odell.

Yes I have checked Flattin figures site, very helpful. New sculpey block on the way to workbench..

Mr.Gary's and your site also.. wow (y) need spent some days in there....
    Rich Sculpts likes this.
  13. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    [IMG]

Painting goes with Vallejo Acrylics..
    Rich Sculpts likes this.
  14. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey