1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Coming Back To The Hobby.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by al51williams, Mar 3, 2013.

1. al51williams Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Coming back to painting and sculpting after a very long lay off (12 years!!!). Got some very useful advice on the painting forum about larger figures. But I thought I would finish off this 1/9 scale bust and move on. Still needs some touching up under the helmet. But would appreciate any comments.

Alex

Attached Files:

crf and Wings5797 like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Alex ,

A BIG welcome to PF and back to the hobby ..its certainly changed since you last picked up a brush!!!!

PF is a great site full of talent and very helpful members so please do ask anything .

Good to see you work on a bust ...must be a fairly old one as I haven't seen one cut straight like that at the bottom (any idea who produce's this one ?)

For me I would shade the reds a little more abd put a wash over the badge as well .....be good to see close ups of the medals and the rank

Keep an eye for my reviews you might find them interesting

Nap
  3. al51williams Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Nap
    The bust is one of mine. I did a launch of some figures about a year ago under the name of Poilu Miniatures, of a similar bust in the Royal Canadian Regiment. This was supposed to be in partnership with a Canadian distributor but it fell through (my wife and I had a condo in Canada at the time) . So I have anglicised the bust. I may re-launch it at a later date but I want to get back to my original favourite of 54mm and try my hand with them first. There seem to be a considerable number of very good manufacturers in the business now making figures with a great deal of character.

Alex
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Cheshire Regt Alex?
    The metalwork looks very well done, as does the rest.
    Good to have you back,
    Carl. (y)
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Very nice job especially after a long layoff. What did you paint him with? Looks to be enamels. You will find that the paints have changed significantly in the last deacde plus too. I think Vallejo acrylics were just coming in as you were leaving. Lots more choice now.

But you clearly still have your skills. My only minor comment would be to aim for a bit more belnding or glazing on his cheeks.

Welcome back.

Colin
  6. al51williams Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Colin
    Which acrylics would you favour? I'm struggling a bit with acrylic washes and may go back to oils.
  7. Helm A Fixture

England
    Alex I use Citadel and Vallejo acrylics but you also need to use Tamiya X21 which is a matting agent to ensure a really nice matt finish but only use a tiny amount of it (enough to cloud the water you are going to blend with only) The newer acrylics really do work well, I also use oils for faces having tried them out recently

Steve
  8. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A lovely bust, nicely finished. Would look great as a full figure.

Mike