1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Color shapers/Silicone brushes

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade/Accessories' started by Venko, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Hi,
    Could you recommend me good silicone brushes for sculpting?
    Now I'm using several that I bought from Ebay cheap, but I'm not very staisfied. I'm working mainly with Beesputty now.
    I heard that Royal Sovereign are good, can you recommend them?

Thank you in advance!
    1969 likes this.
  2. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have bought a few to use with Beesputty and the best one I have is the Royal Sovereign brand so I would recommend them. I also use it when sculpting with Magicsculpt which works great with a bit of Vaseline.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Venko likes this.
  3. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    Thank you!
    Which firmness do you use with Beesputty-the white (soft), grey (firm) or the black (extra firm); or all of them :)
    I'm asking, because all of the cheap ones I bought, no matter white or black are the same very soft rubber.
    Probably I will buy the taper point only (size 0), I don't use the other shapes very much.

Regards and stay safe!
  4. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Venko

Glad you asked this question ...I got sone from Gree stuff World on fleabay .....not too bad but now going need replacing badly so interested in these sovereign that you and Steve are on about

Happy sculpting

Stay safe

Nap
    Venko likes this.
  5. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    I bought a set of Greenstuff extra firm shapers, but I don't use them much and didn't like them honestly, I will find some use though. I stuck with my projects, because I realised that they are necessity, mostly I use homemade tools, but shapers I have to buy :)
    That's why I'm asking for opinion of Royal Sovereign, because buying online I cannot touch and feel the silicone on the tip ;)
  6. Nap Moderator

England

Agree they are okay but not the best , I'd forgot about Royal Sovereign ..I have soft , medium and hard but to be honest hardly use the medium !!...... proper sculptors might !!

Stay safe

Nap
    1969 and Venko like this.
  7. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom

I only have the one Sovereign and it is the grey firm taper point version size zero, I have used it for scales from 75mm to 200mm. I did not realise there is a
    (black)
    extra firm version, I might look at getting that also.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Venko likes this.
  8. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Just use Royal Sovereign.
    1969 and Venko like this.
  9. Venko A Fixture

Bulgaria
    I already ordered their grey(firm) and black(extra firm) taper point size 0.
    Thanks!
  10. Rob Pye New Member

I would just go to an art supply store and get a set. They really do vary in price so a set or two is best picked up during sales.
  11. Vermis Member

United-Kingdom
    The only other silicon brushes I've bought were from Lidl and they 'feel' a bit more floppy and cheap. I'd agree with sticking to Royal Sovereign.

I mostly use a grey cup for smoothing, but I'll point out that Royal Sovereign also make double-ended black chisel and taper shapers with similarly-shaped wire loops. (i.e. square and rounded point) I have a couple of size 0s, and the loop end adds a nice bit of extra push to the silicon tip. (Which you'd probably have with other tools, but on ocassion it might be handy. ;))

Here's a photo of the kind of thing.

[IMG]
    Nap likes this.