1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Colonel Lucius Fairchild

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Sep 20, 2006.

1. PeteC Member

Great stuff Gary! Mine's starting to take shape too....

Attached Files:

2. John Long Active Member

United-States
    I've somehow managed to miss the progress on this. Excellent stuff Gary! I'm very impressed with your skill.

Pete, your's is looking very fine as well.
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Thanks I appreciate the kind words. I really regret not learning that much about painting when I was younger. Drawing with pencil and pen & ink did not involve all kinds of supplies and the clean up process is a lot quicker. I'm currently looking at any book that will help me to improve the technical side of things. I learned a lot when I did my drummer, and I'm learning a more with this one.

I really like Pete's work. I'm sure his will do well at the auction.~Gary
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I was not going to post another scan of my painting until it was complete. Seeing Pete's painting got me a little fired up to share some more. I'm working on establishing the darks and the midtones. The lights and highlights will lighten the uniform a bit as the color is not quite where it needs to be.

The NEXT time you see it I'll have it done. :) ~Gary

Attached Files:

5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Really beautifully done, Gary. I'm completely in awe.

All the best,
    Dan
  6. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    This is absolutely beautiful my friend!
    best regards
    christos
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Joe, Stephan and Dan, Thanks. Unlike my sculpting, which is really methodical (read:slow), satisfaction or disappointment in something you've painted comes a lot quicker. There is till lots to learn, but I'm enjoying the process.~Gary
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The Fairchild painting is finally done. I had a fun time (for the most part) painting him. Now to get back to my sculpting projects. The confederate Marine is also done. Look for pictures of the completed figure in a day or so.

Click on the link to my blog at the bottom of the page for an enlarged copy of the painting.

Attached Files:

9. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Very very nice Gary. You should be awfully proud of the finished work.
  10. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Gary,

that looks phantastic !!! I love it. Is it painted "just for fun" or will it be used as an ilustration?

Seems like you are a really gifted man...ok I know sulpting and painting don`t need only talent - they need a lot of practice.

Cheers,
    Markus

(y) (y) (y)
  11. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gary, you've done a lovely job and created a beautiful painting...I love the richness of the colours toward the focal point of the picture.
    Really something to be proud of.

Roy.
  12. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Gary,
    Just absolutely Beautiful and Elegant.
    Have a Merry Christmas
    Cheers
    John
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Thanks a lot. I'm happy with the results given it's the first time I've done a painting with so much in it.
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Markus, Thanks. The piece is being donated to the Artist Preservation Group. It is going to be placed in an auction to raise money to restore a forage cap and vest that were worn by Fairchild at the battle of Gettysburg.
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roy, Thank you. The colors did not scan exactly as they are in the painting, but they are close.
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Thank you, I appreciate it. Merry Christmas to you and yours also.~Gary
  17. vergilius New Member

Belgium
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Patrick, Thank you.~Gary
  19. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Gary,

I find this really good. You manage the aquarel paint so wonderfull. The light's in the painted areas who are receiving light looking as they should be, places who are in the sunlight. This is one of the difficulties from aquarel.. Nice shadows.
    Great, great work.
    Wish i good do this. Again, Fabulous.

Marc
  20. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Grand job there, Gary! You've done the Colonel proud!

All the best,
    Dan