1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Colonel Lucius Fairchild

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Sep 20, 2006.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    My next painting will be of Colonel Lucius Fairchild of the 2nd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. It will be a huge step up from the drummer I just completed as it will include a full background with officer tents and other things associated with an army camp. I originally was going to do the painting in oils, but decided to stick with a water based media instead.

Here is the drawing of Fairchild drawn out on tracing paper. This will be transfered to multimedia artboard for painting. I still may add some more camp furniture and possibly a few smaller figures in the background. As the painting will be a portrait piece I do not want to make it too busy. At the same time I do not want the camp to seem deserted.

Attached Files:

2. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Gary,

very nice to see the first step of your next painting...keep it going, I will follow to see your next step !!!

Markus

:) :) :)
  3. Kreston Active Member

United-States
    Looks great, Gary. I am looking forward to watching your progress.

Kreston
  4. BHowe New Member

Looking forward to the finished product (and watching it unfold, if we could be so lucky)! Thanks for posting it.
    Bob
  5. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Looks very interesting Gary,looking forward to see the first steps!
    best regards
    christos
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Markus, thank you. It will be a while before I post the next picture(s) as I'm only going to post images as I have or make time to take them.~Gary
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Kreston, Thanks, I'm happy to be a part of this exciting project.~Gary
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Bob, So am I. It would be great to skip over whatever frustrations lay in wait for me, and fast forward to the finished piece. ;) ~Gary
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Christos, i appreciate it. I'll post as many in progress stuff as time permits. Unfortunately the waterbased medium i'm using requires several applications of paint to achieve the final painting. In the early stages a lot of the colors are blocked in and looks a bit messy.~Gary
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    This is the second underpainting I did for this project. I had to start over as I did not get the results I wanted the first time around.

Attached Files:

11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here the sky has been started and the trees blocked in. I want the background to be a bit hazy and lighter than the forground to help create the illusion of distance.

Attached Files:

12. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Gary,

Looking really nice, the APG should be happy to get it.

Joe
  13. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking very nice Gary! Keep us posted.

Jay H.
    OKC
  14. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    WOW,
    Looks Terrific so far.
    Cheers
    John
  15. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    It's very interesting to look over your shoulder on this one, Gary. Looking good so far!
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Joe, Thanks. I'm sure they will. There was a nice display of the items we're raising money to restore at Chigcago this past weekend. The oppourtunity to do this is more rewarding than any award IMHO.~Gary
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jay, Thanks. I'll be scanning the painting during the process.
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Thanks. I appreciate it.~Gary
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Pat, Other than art books and pouring over my Troiani and Rocco books I have, I'm flying by the seat of my pants when it comes to painting. While I did go to art school for a short time, I have very little experience with painting full scenes like this.~Gary
  20. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    looks good so far