Completed Critique Coldstream guardsman, Crimean War 1854

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ben-nl, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Ben-nl A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hello,

I have finished the 120 mm figure Coldstream guardsman Crimean War, produced by Maurice Corry Miniatures. It was my first 120 mm figure after a long time. I haven't good uniform reference, I hope the colours are right.
    Please tell me your comments.

Ben

P1100167.JPG P1100168.JPG P1100169.JPG P1100170.JPG
    abbo, mikec55, tbolt7 and 3 others like this.
  2. LVM Active Member

Belgium
    I think this is a good piece of work. The painting is very proper and clean. But I think that your white are too white. I think you have to break it with other colours.

Laurent
  3. Edward A Fixture

England
    Hey, I have this figure though I haven't started it yet. It's a great sculpt isn't it. Looks like you've done a good job painting it. Perhaps there could be slightly more contrast - the shading in the creases could be a little darker..
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Heel erg mooi Ben.
    Niets op af te dingen behalve wat meer contrast.

marc
    mikec55 likes this.
  5. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Very nice indeed

Ken
  6. Andy007 Member

New_Zealand
    Very nice Ben! I too have this figure and am in the middle of painting him.
  7. diamond cutter Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Looks good Ben. Maybe some MIG pigments or pastels for weathering would be good? just a thought!!!
  8. Tony Barton Active Member

United-States
    The colours are fine, though as has been said by others, perhaps a little weathering.
    The white belts wouild have turned more yellow-brown , because they had no pipeclay to keep them clean ( the pipeclay and other cleaning materials were in their knapsacks, which were left on the ships ! ) . The blanket carried on the back should not be grey , but a light buff colour, with a 2" red stripe woven into each end.
    Red Five likes this.
  9. Ben-nl A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks everybody for your comments. I had done a little bit weathering but to take a good photo to show it is difficult. Thanks Tony for your comments about the belts and blanket. I'll change in the next week.

Ben