1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Coldstream Guardsman Crimea

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ghamilt1, Jan 1, 2012.

1. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Happy New Year/Hogmany to everyone! I just finished this 120mm figure from Maurice Corry last night and wanted to share with you the first figure from my workbench for 2012. Upon closer inspection, I have noticed a few necessary touchups, like his hands for instance, that I forgot to attend to but for the most part he is all done, and I would welcome your comments and criticisms.
    [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]
    I almost forgot, there was some small scratchbuilding done here to correct a warp and molding flaw along the rifle's barrel. I carved out the barrel and ram rod, and replaced them both with lengths of brass rod/tubing. Again, best wished to all for a happy and prosperous New Year!:)

Attached Files:

mikec55, ukbat, Grod and 17 others like this.
  2. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Glenn,
    Nicely done and a nice base to mount him on.
    Cheers
    John
  3. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Glenn,
    nice work matey,1st one I've seen painted.
    Have a casting on the bench,part clean but a part was missing from my kit so it all ground to a halt.
    Thanks' for posting,all the best for the new year.
    Paul
  4. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    I like it a lot. Very nicely done.

Xenofon
  5. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Thanks John, I am trying to put in a little more effort on the ground work so I appreciate the fact that you noticed it enough to comment.
    Thanks also Paul, sorry to hear you were missing a part. I was missing a few bits from the free 75mm 4th light dragoon figure that came with this one, so I had to do a bit of scratch building. Once I'm done the sword I should be ready to post that figure as well.
    Thanks Xenofon, I am glad you like like my efforts here and it was very kind of you to leave a comment.
  6. DaveG Active Member

United-States
    Really sharp looking figure Glenn. Looks like a lot of great painting on display here and he looks nicely situated on your base. I hope to tackle this one myself eventually and will have to dig him out to check some parts you mentioned having problems with.

Also, don't forget to paint that feather hackle on his head gear red.

Look forward to seeing the 4th LD soon too.

(y)

DG
  7. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    D'oh! Red!? I could've sworn it was white, but no worries David, that is a correctable error! Thanks for pointing it out for me and for taking some time to leave a comment. Cheers.
  8. Stonewall123 Member

Ireland
    Great Paint job. I just can't warm to this figure. I think " why would you hold a rifle like that" It looks so unatural.
    Stonewall123
  9. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Thanks Paul, I see your point in terms of the pose. Maybe that's what marked it out as unique to me. To be honest I chose this figure based on the period and uniform, despite the fact that there are a couple of Crimean War Guardsman floating around out there. Well, I'm pleased you like the paint job regardless of the figure. Cheers.
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Great work Glenn, the painting and groundwork are excellent. A marvelous debut for 2012. You've set the bar high for the year ahead mate.
  11. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    thanks Tony. I actually have 3-5 others at various other stages of completion that I hope to have done in the next few weeks. Hopefully, I can be as happy with the way those turn out as I was with this one.
  12. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice Glenn

Colours look good and accurate, really like the blue on the trousers,nice paint job all round.

Cheers Ron
  13. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Beautifully done.

Happy New Year,

Mike
  14. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Like it loads Glenn.
    Brian
  15. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking really good Glenn.
    Carl.(y)
  16. Mike Stevens A Fixture

United-States
    Nicely Done Gleen. I like it a lot.
  17. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Thanks Mike, Michael, Brian and Carl for kind words of encouragement.
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Fabulous start for 2012. Like what you have done with this figure.

marc
  19. PhilinYuma Member

United-States
    Yep, this is a very nice paint job on the only recent 120mm Crimean guardsman that I don't own. I didn't buy it for the same reason that you did, the odd pose, but your version makes more sense than the original. I have also wondered about this guardsman's hangdog look. It seems that he is handing his rifle over to someone; nowI know why.
    I am above average in my ignorance of the small arms of the period, but I imagine that his rifle is the the rifle musket, British Minie pattern 1853 which was issued to all Btitish infantry divisions (except the fourth) that went to the Crimea. If so, it had a fairly hefty leaf rear sight which you may have removed when you replaced the barrel. So now we have a back story. Private "short head" Jones, so called because he always wears his bearskin much lower than regulations allow, is handing over his rifle to his sergeant, who wants to know if he flogged the missing rear site. The sergeant's eagle eye has noted that Jones has apparently lost his red plume and replaced it with a nicked white one "liberated" from a Grenadier.
    If I'm right about the rifle, you can find a good reference here: http://brushcreekarmory.com/EOA1LSingle.jpg where they incorrectly (at least in England) call it the 1853 rifled musket.
    BTW, it might be the light, but I don't see a vertical black line in the center of the white piping in the front ofhis collar. Without it, he won't be able to take his coat off. ;)
  20. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Hi Phil; You are correct regarding the rear sight. It was on the original which I removed and I completely forgot to add it onto the new replacement. You have a keen eye, and I will also address the collar issue as well. This is exactly why I post pictures onto the planet; with the suggestions coming as a result of many eyes on a figure, I should be able to improve, so a big thanks Phil and everyone else too. Keep the suggestions coming.