1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Cold Feet

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John van Pelt, Aug 16, 2014.

1. John van Pelt Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Just started this figure from the Jeff Shiu range. I had a hard time cleaning it up and getting the arms in position, but this stage is over now. Did a preshade todaywith pure black bottem-up and finished this stage with a glaze off lightened fieldgray top-down on the greatcoat.

Greetings John.

Attached Files:

crf and Scotty like this.
  2. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    This shadowing technique is new to me but, looks like a huge help, will give it a go on my next figure. I will be following this post for more helpful hints.

regards Zane
  3. John van Pelt Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Thanks Zane, preshading is a great help and for me almost a 'must' with figures in a scale of 75mm and larger.

Rainy weekend coming up in Holland, I planned a lot of paining.

Greetz John.
  4. John van Pelt Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Further progress on the helmet and face. Used the hairspray technique for the worn effect on the helmet and blue and purple glazes on the face to emphasise the cold weather. Airbrushing the torso and gear was another step. Next stage is using the oils for blending the rest. Face is painted in oils.

The base will be a scene of cracked ice.

Attached Files:

Aveleira likes this.
  5. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    John,
    This is looking really interesting! (y) I remember the above and below methodology of pre-shading, and or priming, but I managed to obliterate it with subsequent layers! .. A lesson learnt.:D Like, Zane, I am watching this piece develop.(y)

Regards,

Mark
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Prachtig werk John.

Marc
  7. swralph A Fixture

Great looking helmet.
  8. John van Pelt Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    This one is done, gave him a very cold appearance and environment.

Greetings John.

Attached Files:

Martin64, malc, Rompy and 1 other person like this.
  9. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Now he does look cold,well done on the effects John.
    Looks good.

Peter.
    John van Pelt likes this.
  10. John van Pelt Well-Known Member

Netherlands
  11. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Great job :) i will look to this for inspiration when i start on mine.

Did u have to putty and remove the mould lines a fair bit ? Mine requires a fair bit of work.
  12. John van Pelt Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Thanks Rompy, I decided to take a chance and go one step further with the icy and snow effects than I would normally do. Just to prevent the snow form being to much 'in place' . I studied dozens of foto's of german winter soldiers in WWII and the snow on their clothing was more random than I see in a lot of scale figure projects. I think I managed to reach the result I was looking for.
    And yes I had a hard time preparing this figure, it took me a long time. Some of the casting blocks were not easy to clean, in fact it took me 3 weeks and several evenings before I could start priming. Then you just have to keep your spirit high and not lose interest. Never had this difficult cleaning before. The sculpt is flawlesss like always.
    Rompy likes this.
  13. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    This is good stuff, well executed, and loads of interest, never done WW2 figure but would like a try with one of these guys.

Anyone know where I can get them from in the UK, or anywhere else?
  14. John van Pelt Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Thanks Malc, you can directly order from the Jeff Shiu Web site. He always delivers.

Greetings John.
  15. John van Pelt Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Some more pics with a different background and bit more detail.

Attached Files:

16. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Cheers John.