1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Cockrell's Mo Brigade

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by John Long, Aug 21, 2003.

1. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Here's a Confederate officer in progress. It's based on a painting by Rick Reeves. This brigade was raised near my neck of the woods.
  2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    dang.. no luck opening the link :(
    i'm diligently trying to establish an easy way for you guys to post pics..

bear with meh :D
  3. John Long Active Member

United-States
    I think Yahoo is having a problem. I can't even open it from my Yahoo page.
  4. John Long Active Member

United-States
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    how are you obtaining the URL for the picture?
  6. John Long Active Member

United-States
    I copied and pasted from the address box. For some reason it doesn't paste the whole address. I can open it, but my colleague can't.
  7. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    try this:
    right click on the image and select "Properties" a little window will open and highlight the text/URL where it says "Address {URL}" and that should be a more accurate URL...
  8. John Long Active Member

United-States
  9. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    cool, that works!

i tested linking the picture but Yahoo doesn't allow it.. i get this:

Forbidden
    You do not have permission to get the requested URL from this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nice work BTW!!
  10. LCoote New Member

Australia
    That's looking very nice John. What bits are Airfix and how long did it take you to get to that stage?
  11. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Liegh, I worked on it an hour or two a night for about a week I think. I don't really keep track of time. My workspace is in our office/ family room and I usually spend the whole evening there doing something or other. The parts I used came from the US Marine set. I whittled down all the detail to a basic academy figure and sculpted over that using very thin sheets of putty. The head is from Historex. Here is a progress shot;
  12. LCoote New Member

Australia
    How did you find the size of the Historex heads ,I've just bought some of their British muskets and when I placed it next to my figure it's huge. I think I need the Airfix rifles.
  13. John Long Active Member

United-States
    The Historex heads I have are resin, so maybe they're closer to the 1/32 than the 1/30 scale of Historex palstic figures. I got two packs of bare heads, one with beards and one w/o from the Red Lancers table during the last Chicago show. I've tried sculpting heads in this scale. but it ain't happening for me.
  14. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Yeh , that explains it. I thought that to be the case that Historex was 1/30 but thought I'd try them anyway.
  15. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    looks like it's coming along bueatifully, what putty is that your using? i really like the look of the boots :)
  16. John Long Active Member

United-States
    It's Magic-Sculp. It looks yellow though. I think that's because I forgot to turn off the flash. Thanks for the comments about the boots. I will likely redo the strings and bulk up the socks.

How do you do strings? I rolled out thin strings of putty, and applied them wet, it's terribly frustrating. There has to be an easier way. Some of you guys get such small in-scale shoestrings.
  17. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    i kind have come up with my own technique born out of the same frustration:

i'll take a small amount of putty (milliput)

roll it flat as possible on a piece of glass (i have a piece that covers my desktop), using babypowder to keep it from sticking

then i take a SSRB and chop off little slivers of putty

take a brush moistened with the mouth and gently pick up a sliver and massage it into position..

and that's it..

so actually they are more ribbon shaped than round but it's all in perception and effect ;) i find that more and more modeling perception rather than actuality is alot easier and effective... just like the artist of old would say: paint what you see not what it is
  18. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Here's the latest. I refined the left hand a little after the pic was taken.
  19. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    beautiful! coming along nicely, what is that your using for the buttons? the socks turned out great!
  20. John Long Active Member

United-States
    I use copper sheet. I save my broken drill bits for this- Chuck up a bit in a pinvise upside down. Place the copper sheet or lead sheet over a strip of leather or hard rubber. Rap it hard enough with a small hammer to punch out a button. You can punch out several in a short time. You'll sometimes punch the button down into the leather, just flex it a little and it will drop out.