1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Clay feels loose on wire armature.

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by OLECHNICKI, May 20, 2020.

1. OLECHNICKI New Member

How can I make the clay grip the wire armature better. No matter what I try, it always feels like there's still open gaps, and pockets of air still trapped beneath the clay.
    Borek likes this.
  2. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Hi :)

It depends on what clay you use. It is good to add a layer of epoxy material (milliput, magic sculp) to the wire, let it harden, and only apply modeling clay to it. If you insist on applying clay directly to the wire, then I suggest Bees Putty Firm or Double Firm. It is a mass directly made to hold on to a wire. If you work with another type of clay, such as Fimo or Super Sculpey, try to dissolve a little clay in a solvent (such as White Spirit), create a thick slurry and then apply it to the wire with a brush. Once the solvent has evaporated, you will have the wire covered with the first layer of clay and you can apply. But always carefully, and without much pressure, this is important. Good luck :).

Cheers Borek ;)
    Banjer and 1969 like this.
  3. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi,
    Have you tried wrapping thinner wire around your armature? Florist's wire works well for this.
    Scotty.
    Borek likes this.