1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Classic Elite Sapper - Redo

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ghamilt1, Dec 28, 2010.

1. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Merry Christmas one and all, hope you have enjoyed a good holiday. One of the things I have taken to doing lately is to revisit some of my old figures from days gone by, strip them and completely re-paint them. This is a prime example. I actually started the redo on this classic Elite figure about two years ago, and just managed to finish off the ground work and base today. It helps to pass the time while I wait for new figures to arrive. Thankfully I won't have to wait too long, as I just ordered a couple more figures from the now defunct Elite 70 mm range (they're collectible now!) and they should arrive over the next few weeks. Anyway, feel free to chime in with any comments, criticisms or observations you'd care to make. Cheers everyone.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    One of my all-time favorite figures, let alone one of Elite's best. Very well done Glenn!

Jay H.
  3. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Glenn,
    Very well done.
    Cheers
    John
  4. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well done Glenn, very smooth (y)
  5. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Nice blue on a beautiful fig.
  6. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Glenn, great painting all round, especially admire the work on the blues, excellent.(y)

Cheers Ken
  7. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Thanks Pedro and Ken, I just added a few more highlights to the blues yesterday, and was a little concerned I had overdone the contrast.
    Thanks also Gordy and John, I can attribute the smoothness of the shading to the use of a small make up brush for stipling the oil paint. A little trick I picked up courtesy of David Mitchell while I was in Scotland. Cheers David!
    Thanks as well Jay. I think this does stand out as one of the hobby's all time classics. Such a crying shame Elite has packed it in, we can only hope someone decides to pick up production of these figures somewhere down the line.
  8. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Glenn, this is one of my favorite figures and the one figure I have done well with at Tulsa and CHicago. I too just stripped mine down to repaint as mine fell apart returning from Chicago! (Yes, I will pin it this time!) I love the blues! Just really nice work. Tell me about the make up brush you use for stipling? I always have a hard time finding a good stipling brush
  9. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Hi Jason;
    Thanks very much for your kind words. I hope the guys in Chicago aren't sick of this figure as I had hoped to make the trip next October, and was thinking of bringing this one along. I picked up an "eye-liner" brush at the local "boots" pharmacy in Glasgow, and it worked great. Especially where large areas are concerned, like blending shadows and highlights on a horse. For faces, I still use small artists brushes like anyone else I suppose. In any case, just ask for the smallest size eye-liner brush that you can, I'll leave it up to you to come up with a plausible explanation as to why you would need an eye-liner brush.;)
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent painting Glenn. You've done a great job on a classic figure.
  11. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Great job Glenn.....excellent paint job..!!!..and love the sepia pic.
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Absolutely great work Glenn.
    The blue is fabulous.

marc
  13. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Thanks Tony, it was fun to go back and have another crack at this figure, using new skills and perspectives. Thanks also Marc, the blue uniform was one part of the old figure that I really wanted to improve, so I am glad people think it looks good. Thanks Steve, I chose the sepia pic for the thumbnail to give an impression of an old photo from the 1870's.
  14. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Hello,
    I like very much the blue paint in miniature of this and other pieces are quite beautiful!
    However without wishing to be in touch! the person was getting a little work still stressing yet.
    However, so I like it!
    Congrats!

Alex
  15. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Thanks Alex, I appreciate your kind words.