1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Civil War Firetrucks

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by btavis, Jul 23, 2006.

1. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I am looking for any book or online reference regarding firetrucks used during the Civil War. This would be the period from 1850 - 1865. Specifically, I am looking for images of these vehicles.
  2. milminwh Member

Hi Bob,

Its not the best image, but there is one here:

NYC Fire Dept history

I did see a documentary once on the origins of NYC Fire Dept, which was the first in the country. The dog mascot was first used to run amongst the horses to keep them moving.

Also, in the lobby of the Museum of the City of NY (in Manhattan), is an actual Fire truck (wagon) from the 19th century. I dont know if any images are available.

In the movie "Gangs of NY", there was a fire depicted near the Five Corners and fire wagons are in the scene (I read they were historically accurate).

I assume you're working on another commission. A 19th century fire wagon would make for an interesting commercial release! That being said, the wagons by Streets of Laredo and/or Monarch Civil War wagons may make for some interesting conversion possibilities.

Good luck & Best Regards!
  3. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Bob...sounds like another very interesting project coming up..

Take a look here... hope this helps a bit

All the best...Roy.
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Bob, !9th century firemen make for interesting subjects. I've toyed with the idea of doing some firefighters myself, minus the apparatus. I'm thinking it might be hard to fine a scale model of this.~Gary
  5. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I am surprised of the dearth of info on historic firetrucks. In any case I did find this site.. It has the exact type of fire wagons I was looking for and perhaps I can glean enough information to scratch one.

The reason why I need a reference is because I am thinking of doing John Brown's raid at Harpers Ferry and they were hold up in a a fire house now called John Brown's fort..
  6. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Incidentally, while I am on the subject of the Civil War era let me share with you something that I found recently that I highly recommend. It is a real time strategy game called Take Command: Second Manassas

This is probably the best strategy game I have ever encountered and if you want to experience Civil War combat as it really was with the ability to control troops from Corps level down to individual brigades with complete 360 degree angle of view of the battlefield then you are a grognard like myself and will enjoy this game. You can zoom in to fantastic graphics at the ground level or zoom out to get a grand view of the whole battlefield. It is just the kind of fantastic, addictive diversion I do not need to take me away from modeling but the game is so good I cannot help myself. I have been playing it for a week now and it has been a real challenge. If you like real time strategy games done extremely well then I think you will get a kick out of this big time!
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Bob, Check out my signature. I also have Mad Minute Game's Battle of Bull Run that was done for the History Channel. The game IS very well done and really gives you the feel for Civil War combat.

You may want to inquire with the park at Harpers Ferry, they may even be able to tell you specifically which equipment was in the engine house during the raid.~Gary
  8. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Gary, that is a very good idea. I will let you know what I find out.