1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique "Christmas on The Somme, 1916", Ist Div AIF

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Dec 28, 2010.

1. eissteban Active Member

France
    Tony, you did a spectacular work with a singular ground.
    Great idea !
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Matthew, gee thanks. I'm humbled by your comment.

G'day Willem, your comment really does mean a lot to me. Thank you. I'm very pleased to know that I've inspired you.

Cheers Steve, that's very generous of you to say so. Thanks for your help with the digital backgrounds too, but I didn't want to use them for the Chief comp.

G'day Les, thanks mate. Carl deserves credit for sculpting such a terrific bust and inspiring me to try something different with it.

Merci Seb, I'm very pleased you like it. Thanks for your comments.
  3. dinovision79 Active Member

Hi Tony,

can only echo the others, very original idea and great paintjob! The kit completely lost it's bust charasteristics, IMO more effectively creating the visual impression of the story behind, a thing I personally miss from most busts.

Good luck in the competition and Happy New Year!
    Denes
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great idea, and executed awesome.
    I like this different use of a bust. Never seen it before.
    It's great.

marc
  5. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Tony this is the NUTS !!!!! I love the proper scared , fed up , hopeless and weather beaten look on this poor chaps face . 10/10 for a great and inspiring model.
    Sam
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I'm sure after seeing this I won't be the only one who looks at a particular bust and thinks what else can be done with it.

Fantastic work Tony, your a lot better modeller than your countrymen are at cricket :D

Roger.
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I can't really say anything that hasn't been said already, superb concept very well executed.
    Carl.
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Denes, thanks mate. I really appreciate your comments and I'm very happy you like it.

Hi Marc, thanks for your comments mate. I'm very grateful.

Cheers Sam, thanks for your very genrous feedback. I'm glad youlike the face and can see all those things in it.

Hi Roger, I'll ignore your reference to cricket since its a sport I've recently decided I no longer follow with any interest or pleasure. I don't know if anyone's done something like this with a bust before, but I'm sure I'm not the first. Hopefully we can all "push the envelope" a little.

Hi Carl, thanks for your support,encouragement and guidance throughout this long project mate. I'm really glad you like the way its finished.
  9. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tony, a brilliant and original idea mate and on top of that excellent painting and groundwork. Following the comments and response it's already generated, it should do very well in the comp. Congrats (y)

Cheers Ken
  10. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Perfect idea and excellent excecution. The face looks amazing Tony.
  11. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    What a great idea Tony and another top notch paint job.

Barrie.
  12. Mark S Guest

Lovely idea Tony.
    Well thought out.
    And definately worth the extra pounds you've put on to get those Paddle Pop sticks.
    Your excellent painting and thoughtful composition will ensure this is a great piece.
  13. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hi Tony,

simply excellent work !!! Nothing more to say. Thumbs up !!!
  14. Kevindunne Active Member

United-States
    New Wave

Incredible idea....am sure it will be copied, the sincerest form of flattery.
    already have an idea for one myself...can see sculptors doing busts with this in mind...complete with groundwork.
    Terrific job all around...
    Kevin
  15. ModelCellar A Fixture

Hi Tony,

What a cool and unique way to use/display our bust! By having him peer out from under the cover, one can imagine the rest of the body without seeing it.

I always enjoy seeing our pieces finished and put to use. (vs. in a closet/gray army !LOL!!).

keep up the good work.
    Paul
    www.ModelCellar.com
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Ken, thanks for your encouragement throughout this project mate, and for your very generous comments.

Cheers Dimitrios, I greatly appreciate your comments and I'm pleased you like how this bust turned out.

Hi Barrie, thanks mate, it's very pleasing to receive your comments.

G'day Mark, cheers mate. I actually bought a large bag of Paddle Pop sticks from the local craft shop a few years ago and built the frame for the groundwork from them. Loads of white glue and celluclay created the mud and DAS clay covered in white glue and water soaked tissue paper.

Hi Markus, thank you. I'm pleased you like it.

Hi Kevin, I'm flattered you think so mate. I'd be curious to know if anyone has done a bust diorama (or "Bustarama" as I've dubbed it) like this before.

Hi Paul, it would be a tragedy for such a wonderful sculpt to remain unbuilt and unpainted. I'm pleased you like the changes I've made to Carl's bust and its nice to try something different and for it to be successful. The idea of suggesting the lower half of the body behind the curtain was easy to come up with, but tricky to actually build. I'm very pleased you feel I've pulled it off.
  17. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Tony

absolutely a great idea. Never seen something like that before.

Ulrich
  18. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Most impressive vignette, Tony

Tony:

Wow, this little presentation is so well done. Another example of how big
    things can come in little packages. You've created so much emotion and
    pathos with this piece. The look on the face, the eyes, are spot on. And that
    is for me, what raises this piece into the "art form" category.

Also, I enjoyed reading the text that you took the time to include with the
    initial forum post. Reading about your thinking process, how you logically
    come to the decision you make, to alter the piece and make it uniquely your
    own, was very helpful; i.e. I'd never thought I could bend resin by using my
    hair dryer on the work bench, that is there to speed up the drying time of
    Acrylic paint. I'll have to give that a try.

Again, a very touching piece with great attention to detail,

A visual reminder that nothing about War is Glorious!!

Kansas Kid
  19. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    is he cold? -_- great work!
  20. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    ...... much evocative ..... I give you the my compliments :)

MAB