1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Chinese lancer

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by Luis R., May 3, 2004.

1. Luis R. Active Member

Spain
    Hi,
    Some time ago, I was given a bookmark with the attached image on it. I've only been able to find out it's a painting done by an Italian artist who was in China as a missionaire during the XVIII cent. called Giuseppe Castiglione, known as Ling Shinin in China. The original painting is now at the National Palace Museum in Taiwan.

[IMG]

I've been thinking about trying to make a model based on this image, but i've been unable to find any further reference. Help please!
  2. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Luis,

From what I can make out from your scan, the 'lance' appears to be an 'orga', a stick lasso used by Mongols to capture horses.

Also keep in mind that Chinese paintings are more often 'conceptual' (describes an idea, a concept) than 'objective' (describes a real object or fact).

My guess is that the orga/quiver/arrows/horse combination was meant to represent a Mongol (or one of the nomadic/horse-culture ethnic minorities).

More about orga and other Mongol stuff HERE.

HTH

Quang ;)

Attached Files:

3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the reference link Quang....I have bookmarked it for future reference.
  4. Augie Active Member

United-States
    Hola Luis,

Castiglione, a Milanese Jesuit missionary, spent 50 years, give or take, in the Forbidden City serving three Emperors (!) as a court-painter from 1715 until his death in 1766.

The image depicts a typically dressed, albeit VERY well-armed, Manchu light horseman of the period. This might very well be a synthetic treatment of the type, as we see lance, bow, AND musket represented.

The panache of feathers from his headwear are invariably peacock plumes, which were awarded for valour in combat.

A general reference that might be of some use is Osprey's Late Imperial Chinese Armies, 1520-1840 (MAA #307).

It might be worthwhile checking Giuseppe Castiglione : a Jesuit painter at the court of the Chinese emperors by Cécile Beurdeley (Lund Humphries, 1972).

HTH!

[IMG]
  5. Luis R. Active Member

Spain
    The English title given to that painting by the National Palace Museum is "Chinese soldier on horseback". And, not clearly seen on the scanned image, he appears to be wearing a mail coat. What he carries on his shoulder looks like a musket, though it is not clear even on the print i have.

The painting has an overall military scent to me, though, of course you may be right ;)
  6. Luis R. Active Member

Spain
    Thanks Augie,
    I was answering to Quang while you were posting!
  7. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Luis and Augie,

Now YOU tell me! :lol:

At least I've learnt something new today.

Thank you for your expertise (y) (y)

Q.
  8. Luis R. Active Member

Spain
    Consider my humble bit a payment for the MANY things I've learnt from you: from model photography to Belgian comic characters :lol:

All credits must go to Augie, though. Gracias otra vez, amigo. Te mantendré informado si de todo esto resulta algo presentable ;)
  9. quang Active Member

Belgium
  10. Augie Active Member

United-States
    Thank you both. Glad to have been of some help.

Expertise? Far from it with respect to this subject. A passing familiarity by virtue of temporal and geographical proximity to my familiar stomping grounds. . . ;)

De nada, compa'. Tenme al tanto. Mira a ver si puedes conseguir la segunda referencia que cité--este parece ser el catálogo definitivo de sus obras. La edición original esta escrita en francés y quizas te sea más facil conseguir.

Best regards to you both,

[IMG]
  11. vince wai Active Member

Hi Luis,

The lance will most likely to be a variation of "spears" with stem made of bamboo which is quite common. Attached are two illustrations of Chinese spears or lance. The stem of the second one is made of bamboo. Some of them even leaves the branches in place which can impose addition injury to the enemy other than the blade at the front. You can see there's a loop of rope at the rear middle which is used to help the holder to hold on to the lance in charging ( see image below which shows a Chinese soldier, most likely around Tang period, with lance and similiar loop ). The forth attached image is a horseman of the Rebels who fought against the Ching soldiers and the stem of the spear which is made of bamboo stem is clearly shown.

As for the hat, the plume is peacock feather. Originally, only the high ranking nobles have the privilege of having the peacock plumes . The plumes are classified as "blue feather" , "single eye" ,"double eyes" and "three eyes" The "three eyes" feathers are the highest ranking. Later on, this also award to other military officers but they were not allowed to wear the peacock feathers in Peking ( this law was only abolished when a general conquered Taiwan, or Formosa, and he wanted the awards to be the right to wear hat with peacock plume in the capital )

As for the coat, it should be some sort of brigandines.

Hope this will help.

vince

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  12. Luis R. Active Member

Spain
    Thanks Vince! (y)
  13. vince wai Active Member

Hi Luis,

No problem! If you need any further information on the Ching uniform, feel free to contact me ( vincent.wai@sympatico.ca ) I had several Chinese books on this subjects ( what's better than reference of a Chinese subject matter written with it's own language :lol: )

vince