1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Chinese Calligraphy Brushes

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade/Accessories' started by Larsen E. Whipsnade, Jun 10, 2022.

1. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Has anyone tried using Chinese calligraphy brushes like those shown in the attached pic for painting miniatures? What do you think of them?
    Rick
    Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 6.07.50 AM.png
  2. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I think it unlikely that they would be stiff enough for figure painting-the chinese painting style is geared to a flat surface in the main.
    Larsen E. Whipsnade likes this.
  3. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    It depends. I can't get an idea of the actual size of the brushes from the photo. But it looks to me as though the brush heads-the important part-are akin to the heads on the sable brushes so many of us use. The head can hold a reservoir of paint, and the fine point allows precise delivery. The picture makes it look like they might be a little big. Personally, I'm not about to try one, but from a purely technical perspective, I wouldn't say they can't work.

Prost!
    Brad
    Larsen E. Whipsnade likes this.
  4. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    I use Chinese brushes for painting my figures all the time. The one in your photo is not for miniatures.
    Here is the one I used. Comparing with the W&N series 7 size 0.

brush1.JPG

brush2.JPG
  5. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    The Chinese brush is also size 0 of natural wolf hair.