1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Chindits - Operation LONGCLOTH.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by nig-g, Oct 27, 2020.

1. nig-g Active Member

I always like to have more than one figure on my bench at any one time. This means that I can work on one while the other is drying for example. It also means that I don’t waste any putty when I mix too much as I can it on the other figure,
    so while beginning to paint my First World War Female Police Offer I am also working on a Gurkha taking part in the Chindit operation LONGCLOTH.

Some background:

OPERATION LONGCLOTH.

The original intent had been to use the Chindits as a part of a larger offensive. When this offensive was cancelled, Wingate convinced General Wavell to send the Chindits into Burma anyway. Accordingly, on 8 February 1943, Operation Longcloth commenced and 3,000 Chindits, Wingate with them, began their march into Burma.
    The Chindits crossed the Chindwin River on 13 February and faced the first Japanese troops two days later. Two columns marched to the south and received their air supply drops in broad daylight to create an impression that they were the main attack. They even had a man impersonating a British general along with them. The RAF mounted air attacks on Japanese targets to support the deception. These columns were to swing east at the beginning of March and attack the main north-south railway in areas south of the main force. One column successfully carried out demolitions along the railway, but the other column was ambushed. Half of the ambushed column returned to India.
    Five other columns proceeded eastward. Two, those of Michael Calvert and Bernard Fergusson, proceeded towards the main north-south railway in Burma. On 4 March, Calvert's column reached the valley and demolished the railway in 70 places. Fergusson arrived two days later to do the same. Despite these successes, however, the railway was only temporarily disabled, and resumed operation shortly afterwards.
    On many occasions, the Chindits could not take their wounded with them; some were left behind in villages. Wingate had, in fact, issued specific orders to leave behind all wounded, but these orders were not strictly followed. Since there were often no established paths in the jungle along their routes, many times they had to clear their own with machetes and kukris (and on one occasion, a commandeered elephant). Supply was delivered by air using three Hudsons and three Dakotas of 31 Squadron operating out of Agartala in eastern Bengal.
    Once in Burma, Wingate repeatedly changed his plans, sometimes without informing all the column commanders. The majority of two of the columns marched back to India after being ambushed by the Japanese in separate actions. After the railway attacks, Wingate decided to cross his force over the Irrawaddy River. However, the area on the other side of the river turned out to be inhospitable to operations. Water was difficult to obtain and the combination of rivers with a good system of roads in the area allowed the Japanese to force the Chindits into a progressively smaller "box".
    In late March, Wingate made the decision to withdraw the majority of the force, but sent orders to one of the columns to continue eastward. The operations had reached the range limit of air supply and prospects for new successful operations were low, given the Japanese pressure. The columns were generally left to make their own way back to India. On the journey back, the most difficult actions involved crossing back over the Irrawaddy River. The Japanese had observers and patrols all along the river bank and could quickly concentrate once an attempt at a crossing was detected. Gradually, all the columns broke up into small groups. Wingate's headquarters returned to India on its own ahead of most of the columns. Through the spring and even into the autumn of 1943, individual groups of men from the Chindits made their way back to India. The army did what they could for the men. In one case, an aeroplane was landed in an open area and wounded men were evacuated by air. Part of one column made it to China. Another body of men escaped into the far north of Burma. Others were captured or died.
    By the end of April, after a three-month mission, the majority of the surviving Chindits had crossed the Chindwin river, having marched between 750–1,000 miles.[8] Of the 3,000 men that had begun the operation, a third (818 men) had been killed, taken prisoner or died of disease, and of the 2,182 men who returned, about 600 were too debilitated from their wounds or disease to return to active service.[8][2] Of the remaining men, Wingate practically hand picked those few he would retain, while the rest were put back under the normal army command structure as part of their original battalions.

The figure:

3BFA0703-1B04-4138-B82C-1ED2725935A5.jpeg 958E4479-4852-4109-94B0-D037A644C374.jpeg 7AE7BA71-C6AC-4E27-84F9-29031F4AD7FE.jpeg

.....only held together at the moment with bluetac for taking the pictures.
    Based on a Gurkha figure by Legion I have filled out the back and extended the bust through the waist to the top of the thighs so that I can add additional equipment eg pouches for Thompson magazines, kukri scabbard, water bottle etc.
    A lot of the original webbing has been carefully pared away and will be enhanced.
    The helmet has been replaced with a well used slouch hat and the shirt has been opened to the waist.
    The original back pack has been enlarged to represent pO8 pattern which was had utility pouches sewn on to increase capacity. I am modelling a left arm to carry a thompson bought from Reedees.

more to follow as the project develops.......
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Oh this is going to be good for sure

Good use of that Ghurka bust Nigel

Following right with you

Happy benchtime

Nap
  3. nig-g Active Member

Thanks Nap.

I’m seeking advice......should I mount it as it is (on a rod into the base) ......or remove the gap between the bottom of the figure and the plinth and then add some jungle style foliage around it, to make it look more like a half figure emerging from the undergrowth?

If the latter, anyone suggest where I can get suitable artificial leaves......I was thinking sisal and/or fake aquarium plants?

Answers on a postcard please......

Thanks

Nigel
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Nigel

My answer on a postcard is put it on a lower post but then put some jungle foliage around it ....don't think sisal would look natural

Put a request about sourcing foliage in General Figure Talk

https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/wip-of-jungle-vignett.190559/

Think also he should be sweating with the exertions of warfare

This sounds a really good project

Nap
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  5. Jed Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Great bit of history and great looking figure Nigel
    Nap likes this.
  6. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice idea for a conversion Nigel, looking good mate.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Nap likes this.
  7. nig-g Active Member

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement.
    A special thanks to you Steve for the re-tooled Thompson. As good as ever!
    Nigel
    1969 and Nap like this.
  8. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I must say that this bust looks so much better with the slouch hat, rather than the helmet, IMO(y)
    Nap likes this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England

Agree there ..something I commented on when reviewed

Nap
    valiant likes this.
  10. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    the kit helmet is an odd-shape - too flat, more like a dinner plate!!(y)
  11. nig-g Active Member

I also think thinning the face when removing the helmet liner and strap helped.
    Nap and valiant like this.
  12. nig-g Active Member

Added to his load, started to get some shape on his left arm and started the water canteen and pouches for the Thompson magazines. 9D315613-1625-4FB8-8805-0199127E03FC.jpeg DBF3EEFB-9B3F-4C93-BDD1-249CF897CA08.jpeg
    Martin64, Bootneck and Nap like this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Nigel

Nice update , this is going to look really good , starting to get shaping on him more

Look forward to seeing the details being worked on , the weapon looks good and adds a nice interest as well

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
  14. nig-g Active Member

Ive finally got back my modelling mojo and picked this figure up again!
    Have added even more to his load including a bedroll, cape cum groundsheet, water bottle, magazine pouches and a scabbard for his kukri.
    Also added pockets and a fly and reworked the webbing . Started working on a rice bag and have yet to start work on a chagel (sometimes spelt chagils) which is a canvas water bag. The idea of which was borrowed from indigenous people and had to be soaked for hours before use to make it waterproof and as the water evaporated it kept the contents cool (still had to be sterilised before drinking though!).
    A lot of the detail is still chunky and needs refining with smaller detail yet to be added.

380AE1D3-3FE7-4BB4-99E5-54F1B7BE1665.jpeg BD5DDBB6-75C3-4A8B-87B2-423073696DEF.jpeg E8F1554D-4556-494B-A6AA-C73C129C4CD7.jpeg 921ADBDF-C271-4144-BBEC-552D78EEAA7F.jpeg
  15. Mookie Well-Known Member

Good to see you back at the putty pushing Nigel.Looks great so far.Keep going Carruthers.
    Rich
  16. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Coming along really nicely now Nigel (y)
    Steve
  17. nig-g Active Member

Rice bag and chagel added together with a toggle rope from the spares box. Left arm now on. Just to add some detail, buttons, strap ends, dog tags etc......oh yes ...and a head! 6C7781EA-C0E4-4FD8-BCBA-E698A0172D5A.jpeg
    Martin64, callmehobbes and Nap like this.
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Nigel

Apologies , missed the March update.......lovely putty work and adds so much to the bust ....definately far more commercial with your additions ....good choice as well of them

Great research on the additions as well

If I may say personally I'm not keen on the small base on the actual bust , a brass post raising it slightly higher would highlight the equipt better ......just my thoughts

Look forward to seeing more ...I woukd love to paint this !

Happy benchtime

Nap
  19. nig-g Active Member

At last the modelling is finished! Now for the painting. Kukhi blade to be added after painting as it’s a delicate!
    Nap…..in many ways I wish you could paint it……….even after all the years I have been modelling I find the painting a chore and much prefer the actual modelling itself.
    I can’t change the pedestal now as it’s integral to the figure as a whole with a steel rod running all the way through to give support, as you can see.
    Just a couple of historical notes. I have removed all unit insignia and rank badges as these weren’t worn on the Chindit operations for security purposes and to avoid NCOs and officers being targeted.
    No need to add a sling to the Thompson as many Chindit commanders prohibited their troops from using slings on their weapons forcing them to carry their weapons at the ready at all times in case of ambush etc.
    Oh well….on with the painting.

E79B9BE2-6B3F-48FE-BC97-1DC1AAE4A698.jpeg 49F740A7-DF00-4A0C-AB3B-E8AC5FC0FE36.jpeg
    Martin64, Nap, Jed and 2 others like this.
  20. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks great and a top subject.
    Gordon