1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Children of Paris - 28mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Jul 2, 2015.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Inspired by the excellent work of Onoria, and as a distraction from building large busts, I am also working on a small scale Napoleonic vignette of the voltiguers of the 9me Ligne at the Battle of Ostrovno on July 31, 1812. When complimented on their courage, after 200 voltiguers attacked the Russia cavalry, and asked which unit they belonged to by Napoleon, they responded "To the 9th, and three quarters of us are children of Paris."

This print shows an impression of the action although it's highly unlikely that French infantry wore the 1812 Bardin regulations pattern in Russia, so I have stayed with the older look.

image.jpg

I am using Victrix multipose wargame figures. Tremendous detail and character plus the opportunity to change the figures to virtually any stance. They come with an assortment of headdress and they are cheap. Heads, arms and kit are separate and they can be mixed and matched. In the group shot below, I added a cross belt to the figure second from the left and removed his cast bayonet, changing a fusilier into a voltiguer.

image.jpg

I chose the 9th because I have a document in my collection signed by the 9th's Colonel Vautre. He was wounded and captured as he entered the Great Redoubt at Borodino. Just an example of a cheap piece of regimental bureaucracy that was fairly plentiful in Paris book shops in the 80's and which can still be found and acquired relatively cheaply from online dealers.

Will be painting them in oils.

Here are the figures I have built so far.

P7012749.JPG

Some shots of the one I have just started painting.

P7012757.JPG P7012758.JPG P7012759.JPG
    Manfred, peedee, Jaybo and 9 others like this.
  2. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    Constantly ( read: pleasantly) surprised by the unexpected directions you take off in, Mr. Fraser - 2 weeks ago it was a brace of large scale busts, last week a 1/35 WWII German and now a diorama of tiny Napoleonics; the head spins, sir, it spins!!

Looking forward to seeing them all,

Brian
    crf likes this.
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Brian. I just got captivated by the detail in these tiny figures. They could put some 54's to shame. Combined with some inspiring 28mm work I have seen here and elsewhere recently, I couldn't resist. Got these figures at Alex and Anthony's recent "Hold the Line" wargame convention in TO.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    For interest, here is the inspiring document signed by Col. Vautre that I referred to. As I recall it cost me $10 in 1983.

image.jpg
  5. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    I will follow this project with great attention Colin. Seems you have a nice history to make an wonderful vignette.

Cheers,
    Pedro.
    crf likes this.
  6. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Colin,
    You must have the eyes of a hawk, going from 120mm to 28mm and your scratching the kit belts. Whats next 15mm?
    I also love this scale but my eye's don't, will follow.
    Regards
    Bob
    Jaybo and crf like this.
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Bob. I am blessed with excellent close-up vision. I am near sighted and basically blind for distance vision but I can get within a few cm of small scale stuff and see clearly. For this hobby....definitely a blessing!

Cheers

Colin
    Jaybo, ChaosCossack and pmfs like this.
  8. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    Coming along nice so far. I picked up some of Zvezda's 1/72 samurai, as you say, they are very nice and some poses you normally wouldn't see.
    Nice pickup on that document.

Bob
    crf likes this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Colin ,

Blooming heck are you sure you haven't missed 0 off the scale size !!!...

These figures are gems indeed and I have no doubt it will look great

Following with anticipation .

Nap

PS Great document as well
    crf likes this.
  10. Graham A Fixture

England
    The quality of those figures looks amazing. Looking forward to seeing this develop.
    crf likes this.
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Brushes down for today. This is as far as I got on figure # 1. I will need to straighten him up when I pin him.

P7022802.JPG P7022803.JPG
    DEL, billyturnip, Viking Bob and 6 others like this.
  12. Graham A Fixture

England
    You have more detailing and shading in this little chap than I could get on a 54mm on a good day, seriously impressed.
    crf likes this.
  13. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely work there, Colin! I also have some of these waiting in the wings, but converted to Mexican infantry at the Alamo. I agree with you on the detail front and they are excellent value, with virtually endless positional variations. Ideal for small scale dioramas/vignettes!

Victrix also do 54mm Napoleonics, although I recently learned that they are not adding to their range, which is a shame, IMO!!

Steve(y)
    crf likes this.
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here are photos of the Victrix 1807-1812 sprues I found on the web. You get 4 of each in each box. Enough to build 60 figures for about $40. They also do 1804-1807 infantry, which I may get to mix in. Also Old, Middle and Young Guard.

image.jpg image.jpg
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  15. John Howard Member

That really is top-notch.
    crf likes this.
  16. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hats off to you Colin for painting eyes in 28mm. Can't imagine how you do it. Like the figs. This scene is going to be one to follow.
    Cheers
    Mat
    crf likes this.
  17. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    A bit more progress as I take sanity breaks painting Colbert's czapska. Still lots to do on this little fella.

P7032831.JPG P7032832.JPG
    Richie, billyturnip, Eludia and 4 others like this.
  18. John Howard Member

Super
    crf likes this.
  19. vidaldiego Member

Excelente!!!
    crf likes this.
  20. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    I love the subject matter. I have never read this quote of the 9th before. Great stuff. I agree with your position re the actual implementation of the Bardin regulations in 1812. Most period paintings concerning the Russian Campaign don't show them being used.
    crf likes this.