1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Chief Joeseph Rides To Surrender

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Jan 17, 2006.

1. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    This piece is coming along great. I'm enjoying watcing you pull it together. One suggestion I have is to darken the red on the figure in the rear. It brighter red draws my eye to it immediately, and the original shows a much more muted color. My two cents.

Keep up the great work.
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the feedback Gary and Pat.

Not sure whether to mute the red or not pat. Will have to decide when it gets closer to the end.
  3. Bill Mayo New Member

Wonderful to watch the progression here.

I love this flat and wish it would again become available.
  4. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Guy,

it is absolutly interesting to follow your painting a flat figure sbs. I always be a wonderer of the people who are able to do such works.

I keep close to your next steps.

The best wishes,
    Markus
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the feedback and comments Bill & Markus. I appreciate the kind words.

I have heard from many figure painters that they are intimidated by a flat but I can reassure you that it is easier to paint than some full round figures I have done.
  6. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I received my casting this morning and I am sure Guy will agree that good though they are the photos do not do justice to just how good this flat is. Roy is to be congratulated on a masterpiece.

Hope I can match Guy's exacting standard in the painting department too.
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Stephen - I have no doubt in your ability to bring Roy's masterpiece to life. I hope you also keep us posted in painting your copy with your excellent technique. I am really excited that you got one as well. The photos do not do this flat justice........its awesome work from Roy.
  8. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looks great, Guy! Have you picked out a frame for it yet?

Jason
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Jason...............I went to the frame shop last week and checked out the different frame styles but have not made a decision as yet.
  10. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    It looks even better in person for sure! Guy, I'm impressed with this one! Keep up the good work, I'll be over for final inspections soon!

Jay H.
    OKC
  11. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    I haven't been able to get on the Planet for just 5 days....and I've missed loads of stuff..sorry.

It's great to see your progress Guy..the chief is looking superb...when I sculpted the flat, I remember how hard it was to discern some of the detail as the picture I had for reference was very dark, so I can understand the difficulties trying to come to a decision wether to go dark or light...the thing with flats is, if you are going to mount it on a black background, such as baize, which is a popular choice, the colours seem to really come out at you...it's a great effect the first time you see your flat on a black background though.

Looking forward to your next pictures Guy.

All the best...Roy.
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the feedback Jay & Roy. I appreciate it.

Roy - It was a hard choice on whether to go dark or keep the colors more vibrant. I had a devil of a time discerning what colors Terpning was actually using and what the details were on the saddle around Chief Joseph. I hope to finish the gun and the area around the saddle later today. There's still alot of "little" things to bring out yet. How is your next project comming along Roy? What ever it is........count me in for one. Love your work and its been a real joy to paint this flat.
  13. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Really glad you're having a good time painting this one Guy...I'll get started on 'The story-teller' as soon as possible as it's been one I've wanted to sculpt for 4 or 5 years.
    As for the chief..he is now 'in stock' and ready for immediate despatch..and can be acquired via my website using PayPal..it's a new step for me, but I have a fair few pieces to be released shortly...

All the best...Roy.
  14. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I put the finishing touches on Chief Joseph this morning and also picked up a frame.

Here is Chief Joseph Rides To Surrender on a black mat board. The outside edge is exactly what you would see in the frame

[IMG]

Now with a little less light.

[IMG]

Cropped close up on black

[IMG]

The frame sits over the top of the black matt board to give me an idea of how it will look framed. I chose a rustic barn sidding type frame in a grayish brown color.

[IMG]

Another view with less glare on glass.

[IMG]

Now several questions come to mind.

1. How much space should I bring the flat out from the back of the Box?

2. Should I allow enough room at the bottom, inside the box, for a brass plaque?

3. Should I leave the glass in for protection of the flat or take the glass out (not
    easy as I would have to knock the frame apart)?

Now I ask for feedback and opinions of what should be done.

Thanks
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, Though it may be easier to view without the glass. It might be a bit of a chore removing the glass and the possibilty of the glass breaking. The glass also saves you from having to keep the flat free from dust. I might position the flat/mat to where it is about 1/4" away from the glass. A nameplate could be positioned right underneath the flat.~Gary
  16. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Beautiful work, Guy.

I'd weigh in with Gary on removing the glass, as I think it distracts from the figures (and makes it hard for guys like me to photograph the piece at shows!!). Maybe use just a picture frame with no glass if tearing the box apart is too tough.

I think it's less important to bring the flat forward from the background when it's black, since you don't really get the illusion of depth with a solid black background; but if you want to, I think 1/4" is plenty. A brass name plate would add to the finished look, or in the alternative, gin up something on the computer that is consistent with the color and rustic theme of the frame.
  17. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Just perfect! Beautiful painting, Guy.

Best regards
    Artur
  18. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Gary and Pat for the feedback. I have opted to go with the glass and the flat set out 1/2 the distance of the depth of the frame. I have mounted through the back brass screws going into the mounting block and also have a block for the plaque. Right now there is a temporary plaque until the engraved one arrives.

[IMG]

I also painted the outside edges of the mounting blocks black so as not to be seen from a sideways glance.

Here you see the finished flat mounted into the frame.

[IMG]

I played with the photo program I have to see if I could eliminate some of the glare.

Finished - "Chief Joseph Rides To Surrender

[IMG]
  19. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    One word sums it up. AWESOME
    John :lol:
  20. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Guy,

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Great, great work. But if you can place some glarefree glass in it.
    I think, if you bring it in to a contest definetely had to give something more than honnour.

Marc