1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Chief Joeseph Rides To Surrender

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guy,

What a great flat that is from Roy. I look forward to seeing what he sculpts next. I really like what you are doing with it. I like the look of the blanket on Joseph and the horse is coming along nicely.

Joe
  2. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    You're doing a great job Guy. Roy's excellent work is really showing up now

Stephen Mallia
  3. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Guy...you must be really enjoying the painting....4.30 a.m!!...I don't even know what planet I'm on at that time... :lol:
    You're doing a really great job, I really like the colours your using too...looking great. :)

All the best...Roy.
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Sounds like you're really enjoying this Guy. I have friends here at home that paint flats and they seem to paint them up fairly quick at times.~Gary
  5. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Guy, you're DEFINITELY doing JUSTICE to this SUPERB FLAT :eek:

Roy, this morning I was at work at 4.30 and I can tell you I was lost on all planets :lol:

Keepin watch on this one and like Keith said I'm just tempted just..........

Ray ;)
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the encouragement guys. Much appreciated.

Ray - I would love to see your talents applied to a flat. Just make sure its a good quality flat with lots of detail. (Roy's got me spoiled now )

Stephen - Thanks Stephen. Appreciate the kind words.

Gary - Thanks Gary, The flat does go alot faster due to just painting one side.

Joe - I am also anxious to see what Roy creats next.
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I had a couple of hours today and I turned to the flat and worked on it for awhile. The progress is slow with each Indian but as you can see, I am slowly getting there.

[IMG]

With the flat I have used weathered black for all dark shading to give the flat additional depth. There are however, many shades of highlighting to each color.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

All comments / critiques are welcomed
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Guy,

No comments, No critiques. Just enjoying your painting of this great flat.
    I find that you are doing a tremendous paintjob on this.
    Beautifull.

marc
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Marc for the feedback. I hope to get some more time this week to do some more with Chief Joseph.
  10. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Guy..it's so good to watch this come to life here on the page...I think you're doing some very attractive work, especially on the animal skins..looking forward to seeing more soon.

All the best...Roy.
  11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Roy. I have really enjoyed painting this flat and will have to say it is the finest sculpted flat I have ever worked on. I hope I have the opportunity to do more of your work in the future.

My wife and I plan on going to the frame shop this week to see about a frame for Joseph. I don't have to leave the flat there, but just take it in for measurements and mount the flat to the shadowbox after it is completed.
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, I like the way the flat is coming along. I think you're on your way to capturing the mood of Terpning painting.~Gary
  13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Gary - I studied the painting ( had a small copy under the glass of my desk ) and realized I had to use alot of black to get the darkness of Terpning has into the painting. The normal colors I would use regularily would not give this effect. So I decided on Weathered Black ( has a touch of gray in it ) and not go straight to mars black. Hope it works in the end.
  14. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I was also able to put more time in on Joseph and he is nearing completition with alot of little things to do that take time. The horse is not done as yet.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

All comments / critiques are welcome.
  15. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    That's very nicely done Guy. Even if I'm not a flat figures fan... I like this one a lot.

Xenofon
  16. Cicero New Member

Albania
    Hi Guy,

I think that you are creating a well balanced piece here. The colours of the animal skins and pelts are coming along fine. One remark though (maybe it are the photos) but IMHO all the faces seem to have the same colour. Maybe you could have put in a bit more variation here. It is well done that you gave both figures on the outside the same blue trousers, creating some bordering effect. Like I said, as a whole, it's becoming real beautiful.

Johan ;)
  17. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Guy, it is coming along nicely, keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Guy,

The more time it cost's these the better it is gonna be.
    What a lovely flat.
    Looking forward to your next step.

Marc
  19. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for thee encouragement guys. I appreciate the feedback.

Marc - I have tried to follow closely the original artwork of Howard Terpning and studied the original print extensively on each step and he has the flesh tones on the original painting all the same.........Hence, I kept mine the same. I did find that after looking at several prints that the forward Indian on the right has dark blue pants in one copy and dark green in another. I went to the book, "The Art Of Howard Terpning" and it shows dark blue.........go figure.
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, Maybe doing the figures further away a bit darker would give the figure a different look. All in all they look good the way you have done. Even though it's a flat it's still a large project to do. Well done.~Gary