1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Chief Joeseph Rides To Surrender

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Jan 17, 2006.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, I think flats are a great oppourtunity to replicate the style and look of a flat based on a 2D artist's version. Though the figures are rather simple, there is so much that can be worked into it. Just look at Terpning's brushstrokes.~Gary
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the feedback Marc......Roy and Gary. I have studied Terpning's painting alot and hope to bring the detail out that Roy has sculpted.
  3. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    WoW Guy terrific work, 6 faces in a row :eek: to much work for a single day.....
    take it easy my old friend :lol:
  4. Flatsy New Member

I too will be interested in your progress Guy. I have seen a couple of painted versions of this flat.
    I did not realize that it was resin(?). Roy, you are casting this piece? Are you the sculptor? are there other Terpning flats?
    I think I would like to add this one to my grey army.
    -penster
  5. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Penny...Yes, guilty...I sculpted it maybe 3 years back...I've just reworked the master and Guy has the very first of the new batch. I'm casting them to order at the moment as I'm busier than usual with a few figures...there are details of the Chief Joseph flat on my website...I have another Terpning piece in line for a flat but have not had the opportunity to get to it yet...but I will do some time in the near future, it's called 'the story teller'...I just found a picture of it... :) it's beautiful...and I can't wait to get started on it..

All the best...Roy.
    [IMG]
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    When you find the time to do the Story Teller, put me down for one Roy.

I based in a couple of colors late last night on the Chief and will post pics soon.

Guy
  7. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Guy...I'll definately keep you posted on that..we could all do with some more time eh.?
    Looking forward to the next pictures...can't wait to see them all take shape.

All the best...Roy.
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I got a chance to do a little more today and have base coated several of the colors. Next step is to blend and shade these colors and after drying, flat coat them for protection.

[IMG]

[IMG]

It doesn't look like much now but will slowly start to take shape on the next step.

All comments and critiques are welcome.
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Are you slowing down Guy???? :lol:
    You get the best out of this flat. I following this close. Looking forward to your next step.

Marc
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roy, That will be a beauty when done, I can't wait to see it. Maybe you can show a few in-progress photos along the way. Before I do my first full figure flat I'll have to pick your brain on how to approach it.
  11. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Guy..I can't wait to see your next update to see how you work those colours..

Gary..I'll certainly post in-progress pics when I get started..and absolutely any advice I can offer would be a pleasure..

All the best..Roy.
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    The red and prussian blue have been base coated and I will use Weathered Black ( a grayish black) for the deep shading and daylight red for the highlighting.

[IMG]

I have painted in the weathered black to the deepest creases and have used daylight red for the highlight areas.

[IMG]

[IMG]

I used weathered black again for the dark shade and prussian blue with a couple of drops of white for the highlight areas.

[IMG]

The two colors over the base are blended with additional highlight added to the tops of the fold.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The blue blanket of Chief Joseph is done in the same manner using weathered black for the deep shade and prussian blue with white for the highlight areas. It is next blended and followed with additional highlight to the top of the folds.

[IMG]

[IMG]

After this step is thoroughly dry I will flat coat the red and the blue and proceed on the colors that border the red and blue colors.

All comments and critique are welcome.
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, Do you work wet on wet? Or do you start shading after the basecoat has dried?~Gary
  14. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I always let the base coat dry and then proceed with the dark shade and highlight over the base coat.
  15. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Excellent work so far, Guy. (y)

Almost makes me want to try a flat piece. Almost.... :lol:

Keith
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    It's coming along well, the contrast is just right.~Gary
  17. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Oh yeah! The contrast on the red blanket is superb! Can't wait to see this one in person!

Jay H.
    OKC
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Guy,'

I know you good do it. Great work.
    Looking forward to your next step.

Marc
  19. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I did a little more last night and will post some pics later today.
  20. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I can't remember the last time I painted at 4:30 in the morning..........unheard of with me to work on a figure while having my first cup of coffee. You all can see by what I have done so far the degree of sculpting Roy has done with this beautiful flat. The review I did and posted does not really show the attention to detail Roy has sculpted into this flat. Its almost enough for me to switch to flats if Roy could sculpt them fast enough. I worked on the flat until 11:30 last night and was back up at 4am and had the brush in hand at 4:30 working on the gray horse. Now its time for planet stuff and committments with other figures.

Here is the horse so far. More to do with him later today.

[IMG]

[IMG]

all comments are welcome.