1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Chief Joeseph Rides To Surrender

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Durring a break from the larger project of the Mounted Lakota I started another side project that will take several months to complete. Our member, Roy Hunt, sculpted and cast this 70mm resin Flat depicting Chief Joseph riding to surrender.

The first step was deciding how the finished flat was to be mounted. I made this decision before any paint or primer was applied and decided to mount the finished flat into a shadow box. I purchased a 1/2 inch dowel and cut 3 pieces 3/4 of an inch long to be epoxyed to the back of the finished flat after it was painted. I pre-drilled a hole in the center to accomadate a screw that would hold the flat in place from the back of the shadow box frame.

[IMG]

The next step was to decide how to hold the flat while the painting process took place and because the flat is so thin and I was afraid of breaking the edge if I mounted it on the dowel pegs then I decided to use the lid of an old cigar box and attach the flat with 3 pieces of double sided tape to hold the flat in place.

[IMG]

Next came the primer spray coat over the entire flat. I prime all my figures, resin and metal, with Floquil R9 spray primer to give "tooth" for the paint.

[IMG]

The wet primered flat was then set under a high intensity lamp to aid the primer in drying and curing on the resin.

[IMG]

Now, after 8 hours under the lamp the primer has dried and put aside until tomorrow for the base color to be applied for the flesh areas.

[IMG]

Here are close-ups of the primered flat.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Here is a link to the previous "Kit Review" I did on the flat right after I recieved it in the mail from Roy.

Kit Review - Chief Joseph by Roy Hunt

This will be a long project as I have to work it in between other commission figures that have priorty and will post photos as I do various steps.
  2. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Guy this is a demanding task.Good luck

Stephen Mallia
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Good luck,

Guy, this is a great flat. I really hope to see your rendition off this well sculpted piece.

marc
  4. Cicero New Member

Albania
    Hi Guy,

I'm sure you'll do justice to this beautiful flat by the hands of very talented Roy!

Keep posting

Johan ;)
  5. Stefano Borin New Member

United-States
    I'm a fan of flat figures
    I love them
    I hope to see it one finished to soon

ciao Stefano
  6. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Go for it Guy, I know you can do it ;) , as I said before nobody paints Indians like you do and nobody sculpts indians like Roy does.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, Roy's done a great job of xculpting the flat and I know you'll do the same with paint. I think the way it's going to be mounted will work well.~Gary
  8. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    I absolutely agree with the rest: GO FOR IT,Guy :lol: !! I'll be looking forward to the updates as they come. Cheers !
    Kenneth :) .
  9. ruderogo New Member

cohiba huh? :eek: nice

great sculpt
  10. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy,
    I'm sure you will, as always, do this beauty justice!

Jay H.
    OKC
  11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the kind words guys. I managed to get two coats of base Humbrol on the flesh area for doing the flesh. Hope to do a little more this week on it.
  12. Kyle Member

United-States
    Guy,

This will be exciting for me to watch as you work through the process. I look forward to learning much.

(I had my first Cohiba last fall - stronger than I imagined!)

Kyle
  13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Here is Chief Joseph all ready for the flesh to be done. Unfortunetly it will be awhile before the flesh is painted due to commitments on the bench for other people's collections.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The base coat on the flesh areas is Humbrol #121
  14. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Guy,

I´m looking forward to see how you will awake this beatiful scene to live. And I know you will do this in the right way.

I keep close... ;)

Cheers,
    Markus
  15. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Great to see you make a start on this Guy...good luck with the paintwork, it's a big one.
    Will you be using the Terpning painting as a reference for the colours?

I now have new molds for this piece, so if anyone would like to have a shot at painting this flat, I'll cast them to order. Just send me an e-mail or check the figurines section of my web site and you'll find all the details you need there.

All the best...Roy.

From 'The art of Howerd Terpning'
    [IMG]
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gut, Looking forward to seeing your interpretation of Not only Roy's flat but Terpning's painting as well.~Gary
  17. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Gary,
    I am looking forward to spending some time with this flat and seeing how close I can come to Terpning's painting.
  18. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Saturday is my day and I did the flesh on several figures today. It may be awhile before I can get back to these so I figured get this part done while I can.

Here are the steps I do for the flesh of the flat........same as a full round.
    First the base mix is applied and then with a clean dry brush I swipe accross the face and hands leaving the Humbrol undercoat showing through.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The next step is to apply Cadium Yellow to the areas where the Humbrol shows through. After a 1 hour wait I blend the yellow with the base so that nay line is gone.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The next step is to apply Titanium White oils to the same areas you applied the yellow to and again wait one hour then blend the wite into the base mix and yellow.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The final step is to add a dot of red to the center of the bottom lip and blend to the corner of the mouth. I also add a dot of red to the cheeks and the upper forehead and blend into the flesh............and set it under a 60watt lamp to dry.

[IMG]

[IMG]

All comments are welcome.

~Guy~
  19. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    So far so good Guy,

Great work. Waiting for more.

marc
  20. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Your doing a great job Guy..it's very good to see the chief come to life here.
    Shame you can't spend more time painting him.. :) ..but if duty calls..

All the best with him....Roy.