1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Cherokee,Native American 1/9th Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Belcher, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    Excellent! Lifelike flash tones and the paintwork.
  2. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Exellent progress John, now youve made me guilty that mine is lagging behind lol.
    Les
  3. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Good to see progress on this one John. Those eyes have a certain 'fore-lorness' in them almost 1000 miles stare. He's seen more than he should have.

Look forward to swapping stories of the busts in coming months.

Keep it coming mate.

Mike
  4. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Guys, Thank you so much for all the kind words on my painting of the face, on this fantastic Carl Reid sculpt.:)
    Thank you Andy,Kaz,Theo,Marc,Ken,Pascal,Edorta,Carl Reid,Carl Barton,Yves,Ben,Xenofon,Einion,Ken,Ron,Adrian,Piotr,Les and Mike.

Regards,John:)
  5. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Outstanding work John.
    Gordon
  6. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Ken, you asked about sharing of the colour mixes for the flesh tones.More than happy to share these.I will list them and take some photos for you and anyone else interested in the mixes.
    John
  7. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Gordon,Thank you for your kind words on my painting.:)

Regards,John
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Would be a handy reference John.
    Thanks,
    Carl.(y)
  9. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    John what a fantastic start , Spot on skin tones , I especilay like the eyes they have an ageing about them . Was this one of your Euro buys and hows the modelling going with your grandson .
    chippy
  10. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hey Chippy, great to hear from you mate.Was great to meet you last year at Euro Militaire. Yes this was one of my buys at Euro.Thank you for the kind words on my progress thus far. My grandson is painting a couple of figures at the moment.Spending some fun time together.Hope to get back at some stage to Euro Militaire.Had a great time there.

Regards,John
  11. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Thanks John that would be great. Working on the Carl Reid Souix at the moment and not happy with the flesh tone.

Ken
  12. Jeff Active Member

United-States
    Stunning work John.
  13. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello Jeff ,Thank you for the kind words on the Cherokee.

Regards, John
  14. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very nice john,i love the flesh tones,this is a great piece,look forward to seeing it finished (y)

Brian
  15. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello Brian, Thank you for the kind words on my painting.Glad you like him.

Regards,John
  16. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Think the same here.(y)
    John, please allow 1 "criticism"; the eyes are finished? if not, I think they are very bright to an Indian... a dark brown would be more realistic IMHO.:cool:
    But in nature everything is possible, look this 3 pics, she is a Portuguese actress is name is Patrícia Bull, she is blond, Afro-Portuguese and have bluish eyes.;)
    She´s cute isn´t it?
    Pedro

Attached Files:

17. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello Pedro, thank you for the compliments on the face painting. I have pretty much finished the eyes.It's been a tricky one.I did have them darker at one stage,but found they lost the life in them because of the heavy set nature of the eyebrow.They do look a little bit darker in reality,the camera has lightened them abit. I do understand what you are saying and appreciate you comments.I am working on the hair and feathers at the moment so I will have a good overall look at his face again.I am trying to capture with him a long distance look in the eyes.Thanks again for your comments Pedro.

Regards,John
  18. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Ken,the colors I used for the face were.Acrylic paints. Vallejo Hull Red 985. Beige Red 804. Flate Red 957. US Dark Green 893. White 951. Jo Sonja Gold Oxide. Raw Sienna. Using various mixes of these colors I achieved the result you see in the photos. I use a wet palette to mix my paints. You will see in the photo my mixing palette.To achieve the wet palette I use a dish or lid of which I put a paper towel on to, then wet with water,on top of that I put a piece of cooking paper.The dampness of the water comes through the cooking paper not allowing the paint to dry,thus keeping the palette wet.I like this way of painting,allowing me to mix small amounts of color,then I can move quickly blending shades and highlights with thin glazes. Hope this helps Ken with your Souix .
    Regards,John
    1-P1120911.JPG 2-P1130001.JPG
    Meehan34 and kaz6120 like this.
  19. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Thought I had already posted a reply but it has disappeared. Thank you for sharing your colours and procedures. I already use a wet palette but just not been able to get the base shade right.

Ken
  20. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    WOW great painting john, following naturally

STU