1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Cherokee Bust Conversion....

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by kiwi45, Oct 11, 2011.

1. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Hi guy's, would love some feedback on the possibilities on converting Carl Reids Cherokee Bust to this below, plan to leave off the right arm and add Reedees Miniatures 1873 Springfield rifle, obviously will need to alter position fo hand etc. So to all the Native American Indian experts is this option possible. cheers Les

Attached Files:

Mike S. and gordy like this.
  2. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Les I think the clothing is mid to late 18th c., The gorget and ear ornaments also reflect this. I am far from an expert on these folks but I believe by 1873 most Cherokee who survived the Trail of Tears were farmers and ranchers and business people in Oklahoma and Arkansas. Somebody will confirm or deny!
  3. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    thanks for input Steve, I was using this example of cherokee as my reference to the conversion perhaps. Les
    page 3 top right artwork

http://www.robertgriffing.com/
  4. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Griffing's work covers the mid to late 18th c. The carbine would be quite a stretch, but if you can find a flintlock in that scale you are in business!
    Mike S. likes this.
  5. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Cheers Steve, will search. Les
  6. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Hi Les,

Just to second Steve's input, you will need to change the rifle to an Indian trade flintlock, or a long rifle to fit the period.
    The Griffing book is a great source of reference but is very expensive. I heard it's a around £200 now.

Carl
    Mike S. likes this.
  7. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    many thanks Carl, may try my hand at producing one. Les
  8. carl reid A Fixture

England
    I have just checked the Robert Griffing books...

There are 2, the first is out of print which is £200 if available but there is another, "The Narative Art of Robert Griffing" Vol2, "The Journey Continues" This is approximately £70.

You could always add a Rifle But Club/War Club instead.

I hope this has helped a little mate!

Carl
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I agree with Steve and Carl. A flintlock long rifle would be perfect.

I have both of the Griffing books and consider them the best resource on Eastern Native Americans.
  10. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Thanks guy's, may try to sculpt a Flintlock or part thereof. cheers Les
  11. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    If you use google images you can find a whole host of Robert Griffings works . There's even a couple of sites selling his second book for £65. about £45. I'm tempted to buy it myself .
    Les if your going to put in a firearm it has to be a flintlock to set this bust of . One other option could be a war club or tomahawk with several trailing feathers .
    chippy