1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Chelsea Pentioner and Old Man Busts

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by BionicCow, May 15, 2011.

1. BionicCow Member

United-States
    Hello again everyone!

Arnold and I have been busy working on many projects of late from armies to singles for sale for funding to new sculpts!

One of the projects we set out to do was to work on our (awful) sculpey skills. We chose a random old man photo from the internet and each began building our own version of the character in our given scale 1:12(?) I believe!

Sadly we didnt get to finish before Arnold's trip was over so I've taken it upon myself to finish both!

Here is where we are at with one of them. This head was originally done by Arnold, Ive been adjusting it and adding details.

(I am not scared of "negative" critique)

Here is the reference image:

[IMG]

ARNOLD SCULPT(I have worked details but majority is his work)

[IMG]

ALEX SCULPT

Im starting to get a bit more comfortable with the sculpeys, but still find it tricky for fine detail stuff.

Anyways, here's my attempts to put a back together for my guy:

[IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Re: Old Man Bust x2

that's a challenge, Alex..

looks good. check also with the mirror, nice tool.

René
  3. BionicCow Member

United-States

Thank you :)

I need to buy a new mirror! A small one I can keep at my desk haha

Sadly the sculpted head isnt as tall as the photo so some features are stubbier. I figure its best to finish it with good detail as it is practice than to make it perfect as its more of a reference photo than an attempt to sculpt a specific person.

What sort of clothing should I put the two old men in? I was hoping to have the chest or part of the skin/musculature of one show a bit.

Alex
  4. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States

Alex,

I had posted some photos a couple of months ago I did of an 89 year old man (a Choctaw code talker from WW I).
    It wasn't very popular and barely posted about, but age does present some challenges to make it look natural...and you've done it so well in this piece. Excellent job.
    As a suggestion (since you asked) I would make at least one fellow a Chelsea Pensioner, who could be at least in partial uniform, or whatever they normally wear...I've always thought it would make a touching piece and an interesting subject.
  5. BionicCow Member

United-States

It is certainly a tricky thing making everything sag and wrinkle well, I have enjoyed the challenge so far :)

The suggestion is certainly interesting I will have to look more into it and see what I can come up with!

Thank you for the comments

Alex
  6. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States

Nice work (y)

Clothing? Totally calls for a Guayabera shirt!

mshrt42.jpg
  7. BionicCow Member

United-States

@Gordy, that was my other thought, perhaps something of a warm climate button shirt! That may also suit the short bust style I chose

Update!!

Ive got the head completed, some things I like, some things I dont like, learned a lot, hopefully next will be better!

The hair was finicky, his left side definitely turned out better, I did take more time with it, but I was testing a quicker technique for the other side, it got me pretty close in results.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    gordy likes this.
  8. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States

Looks great and you've captured the 'old man ears' well (y)
  9. BionicCow Member

United-States

Thanks Gordy they were actually kind of fun to do!

What does everyone think of the hair? Is it too detailed? How should I change it?
  10. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States

The hair looks good – not happy with it ?
  11. Einion Well-Known Member

Face looks really good Alex. It's not as long as the reference, but it's a very believable human face.

I know what you mean, I find it very difficult for this. Have you tried cooling it in the fridge to get it stiffer, that can help with doing details?

I've seen a step-by-step from a commercial sculptor who stopped trying to get the finest work done in Sculpey or Super Sculpey, whichever he was using, instead he works to a certain level, bakes it and makes a mould, makes a cast of it in wax and does all the final details in that!

I think this is a problem all sculptors come across, depending on which hand you use there's an easy and hard side to work on because of the angle the tools are held at.

Einion
  12. BionicCow Member

United-States

@Gordy, I will have to see how the style looks painted I suppose!

@Einion, I think its mostly just getting used to the way to handle the putty, I havent tried the fridge, Im sure Ill play around more as I keep working with it.

I noticed theres a wax product they often use out there I forget the name of it but it seems interesting, may have to give it a try in the future!

I have been busy working on concepts for other projects but I am sculpting some more as we speak, so hopefully some updates soon!
  13. BionicCow Member

United-States

Been slow at late with the sculpting but heres an update

This is the torso WiP for one of the old men... This is the uniform of a Chelsea Pentioner

Buttons arent done, back needs a bit of clean up, and his right side(left in photo) is in progress still

[IMG]
  14. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom

Superb sculpt Alex. Should make a brilliant pensioner, lots of medals?
    Carl.
  15. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States

The sculpt looks like a former professor of mine.
  16. BionicCow Member

United-States

@captnenglish, it could very well be! I just selected a random photo from google :)

@Housecarl, Im unsure what details I would like to add, there seems to be a variety in the uniform markings that I dont know much about, some examples below.

As for medals, I would like to have a good amount without overcrowding, however it may be a good idea to have many since these guys are supposed to feel like real long time vets!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xhRv7oMz__Y/Sq_xsElXoTI/AAAAAAAAAng/oSdntX9kRnc/s400/chelsea pensioner.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_BUOfb81B9...xQ/qsl8mDwkALQ/s1600/Chelsea+pensionres+2.jpg

http://c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I.../750/Chelsea-Pensioner-Paddy-Fox-IMG-6740.jpg
  17. BionicCow Member

United-States

Finally started the old mans body... a comparison of size between the first head, new torso and first torso

[IMG]
    gordy likes this.
  18. BionicCow Member

United-States

Switching back to the other torso, I have completed it minus the badges, medals and buttons which I will add with epoxy

Overall pretty happy with it so far

Lemme know what you think of the folds or if you see any problems!

Attached Files:

19. BionicCow Member

United-States

Back to the other old man!

Heres the front getting some rough shaping, a bit of the front is smoothened(the right, his left) not all of it though, I have since done more and finished the sleeve!
    [IMG]

Here's what the original back looked like... nice folds but the material felt too thick, like a robe and thats not what he is wearing... on top of that the folds didnt seem to sit right with the position he is in...
    [IMG]

So I redid them! Well at least one side so far... I bulked up the centre of the back to show that he is hunched over, I may need to add a bit more to the lower portion..
    [IMG]

I must say I am really starting to enjoy using this Sculpey stuff... Sculpey firm was definitely the difference for me, pure Sculpey was just too soft and I had a hell of a time working it

Will likely bake the other torso tomorrow and maybe start the details... I have to cut the head off this one in order to bake the torso because I baked the head already, that will prove tricky....
  20. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands

Hi Alex,

the second try is a better approach for the fabrics of the blouse.
    Still I think the folds might be sharper , try to indicate some stresspoint starting from top shoulder where it's flawless, maybe some vertical wrinkles added starting from there?

capture yourself in a blouse in this position.

good luck,

ARene