1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Charles Nungesser

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Nap, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi everyone

Couple of pics been beavering away at the , reworked the top details on the kepi , all now finished and painted , eyes all done

Everyhing else is basecoats !!!

Doing this along with a couple of other , Top Gun, and Rolett

WIP 002.jpg WIP 007.jpg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Happy benchtime

Nap
  2. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking great Nap! Not to highjack your thread, but since underrepresented nations have been mention; I would be mad to see a bust of AH ace Benno Fiala Ritter von Fernburgg

Fernburgg.jpg
    Nap and PropBlast like this.
  3. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Strewth! Look at all those gongs! And fourteen palmares on the CDG. That'll keep you occupied for a day or two.:D Kepi looks excellent.

Phil
    Nap likes this.
  4. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Glad you like doing medals, you will make a good job on them, rather you than me.
    Joe55, PLG and Nap like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Guys

Capt...........thank you ...no problem anyone adding to the thread ......a good suggestion ...good mix of both German and AH awards including pilots badges

Phil ......Thank you , strangely despite the number and details I like concentrating on the medals ......more the merrier ...will take a while !!

Bob .....Hope they look okay when finished !!!

Happy benchtime

Nap
    captnenglish likes this.
  6. Cannonball A Fixture

Kept looks great Nap. Looking forward to the rest.

Neal
    Nap likes this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Thanks Neal ...as usual looks better in reality ...hope to get the tunic done this week

Appreciate your time

Nap
  8. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    He looks good so far Kev, I like the blue of the tunic, tidy work on the crown of the Kepi (y)
    Cheers
    Jim
    Nap likes this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England

Cheers Jumbo

Tunic just base colour atm

Nap
  10. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Gonna be a real beauty Kevin:cool:!

Joe
    Bob, something tells me that Kevin will be giddy as a school girl when he gets to working on them medals!:D

Joe
    Nap likes this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England

Nice one Joe ...looking forward to them ...currently working on the Rolett bust as well ( in V Bench ) ..will update that as well......oh I've a couple more waiting ...stay tuned !

Speaking to my very helpful friend Pierre ref the tunic :

"Regarding Nungesser you have two options for the uniform jacket, either the French "bleu horizon" or the much lighter "light cavalry blue" in which colour I painted mine. Thumbing through both volumes of Militaria Verlag's work on the French Army in the Great War, you will see the latitude officers and their dress makers had in producing a "uniform"!

I have the books mentioned they are amazing ......will need to look carefully ....he is currently in Lt cavalry blue base coat

Thanks for commenting

Happy benchtime

Nap

image.png image.png
  12. PropBlast Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I have to say Nap that the difference between the bust when I sent it to you and the progress you have made is amazing! Can't wait to see it finished and take its pride of place in your collection.
    Nap likes this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Peter

Thanks for commenting , glad your happy with the progress .....it's getting there , was pleased about the way the replacement putty peak went

......looking at the references for the uniform going to stick with the Lt blue but it will be a different shade to the Kepi ....hopefully

Looking forward to that scar !!

None of this would have happened if you hadn't contacted me so thanks ...oh I now have several books about the pilots !

Stay tuned

Happy benchtime

Nap
    PropBlast likes this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi folks

Finshed Roletts so now it's onto Nungessers Fourragère of the Croix de guerre 1914-1918...using these reference pics

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

After this ...I will paint the uniform colour , shoulder arcs and buttons

Stay tuned

Nap
    Viking Bob, PropBlast and akaryu like this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi everyone

Finished the aguilette ...pleased , looks good under optivisor !

On a side note

Had a really good book arrive today , not to do with Nungesser but very interesting to have

The Lafayette Escadrille ...A photo history of the fist American Fighter Squadron

image.jpeg

This original panel sold for nearly £29,000 at Bonhams

image.jpeg

WORLD WAR I: LAFAYETTE ESCADRILLE.
    A painted fuselage from the Lafayette Escadrille. [France: c.1916-18.] A dark grey-green canvas plane panel, painted with the familiar Indian head insignia, with the full headress, mouth open and teeth showing, lettered "Escadrille Lafayette" at lower left, and with a small applique cloth, marked with a German iron cross added on lower left (to denote one downed German plane), evidence of part of a number at upper right. 17.5 x 29.5 inches (450 x 780mm). The paint slightly chipped, and tears appearing along some old vertical crease lines. Framed.

AN HISTORIC AND RARE AMERICAN FLYING INSIGNIA, probably recovered as a momento from one of the French made Spads used by the American volunteer pilots flying in the Lafayette Escadrille. The Layfayette Escadrille was a unit created by the French Air Department in March 1916, under the command of French officers and with Brench mechanics, but staffed by volunteer overseas pilots, largely American, with 39 volunteer pilots from the USA, and of these, 19 were killed in action. During World War I, some 200 American pilots were trained by the French in aerial tactics, and deployed in various French flying squadrons. In March 1918, with the USA entering the war on the ground, the Lafayette squadron was, in effect, taken over by the US Air Service, and the 12 American pilots who transferred, provided important front line experience. The squadron was renamed, the 103rd Aero Squadron.

So interesting

Off to the bench

Nap
  16. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Looking very good Nap.....Going to be a colorful piece.....Bet you can't wait to get to those medals. Looks more like Baron Von Stinkenbomben every day:) Keep up the good work.

Wayne
  17. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Wayne

Thanks for commenting ..will be colourful to say the least ...yes looking forward to medals on this and Rolett !

Finished shoulder bars and collar insignia ( using these references below ) , added a darker outline around medals

No pics yet but will sort !

Happy benchtime

Nap

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Viking Bob, Airkid and PropBlast like this.
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi everyone

Bit of verbal update ...uniform all finished , buttons done .......

Till to do .......pilots badge , flesh oh and one or two medals !!

Decision time ...this or Roletts bling first ....life's hard ...lol

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Viking Bob and akaryu like this.
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Couple of iffyvision pics

Kepi is a lighter blue compared to uniform

All comments welcome

image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg