1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Charles Nungesser

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Nap, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Thanks my friend .....not without your knowledge and help

Thank you ........very kind ....stay tuned .....working on 3 at once Rolett , Top Gun and this !

Cherrs for looking in

Nap
  2. Airkid A Fixture

England
    What a character he was. Lost his life on a transatlantic record flight after all he survived in the Great War.

Offo likes medals obviously! Watching the outcome of this one with interest...

Airkid
    PropBlast and Nap like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Phil

As you say a character , lost his life surrounded by mystery , body never been found I think ....glad Offo likes medals ...he's a talented sculptor

Good to have you watching this ...just working on the rest of lacework on Kepi

Happy benchtime

Nap
    PropBlast likes this.
  4. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    That kepi is looking very nice mate, good bit of work.
    Carry on as I am still watching.
    Nap likes this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England

Cheers Bob ...looks a lot tidier now ...

remainder of lace finshed , actual blue colour done , peak done , eagle badge done , I've done mine in a gilt as on references

Eyes next

Happy benchtime

Nap
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Spotted this whilst looking around ...haven't got it but thread in Market place !

1/12th from WoS by Greg Girault

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Based on this colourised picture

image.jpeg

Nap
    KenBoyle likes this.
  7. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Raoul Lufbery?
  8. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Lufberry indeed, but Model Cellar's version by Mike Good is a far better representation IMO.

Lufbery.jpeg

On the WoS version the medals look like dangling in the wind, not to speak of the rather weird shape of the képi.

Pierre
    captnenglish, Airkid and Nap like this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England

Oooooohhh forgot about the MC one

Good point ref medals Pierre

Nap

image.jpeg
    Airkid likes this.
  10. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Yep, gotta agree with Pierre - Mike Good's version is a close likeness. Lufbery, another interesting character who died falling from his aircraft - he'd taken off hurriedly and failed to secure his seat harness. The plane flipped and out he went. Sad end to a great flyer.

Did you paint this one Pierre?

Phil
    Nap and akaryu like this.
  11. PropBlast Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Lufberry attacked an enemy two-seater over his own airfield but his aircraft was hit by return fire from the observers gun. The front of his plane was engulfed in flame and rather than burn alive in the cockpit he climbed out onto the wing to escape the flames, then back onto the fuselage before finially onto the tail before letting go. Before he jumped he saw a stream below which gave him a glimmer of survival and from 3000ft he fell arms outstretched. He missed the stream by mere yards and landed on a white picket fence by the nearby cottage.
    Airkid and Nap like this.
  12. akaryu Moderator

Belgium

No Sir! The photo is from the box art, mine is still lingering in my grey army.

On a side note, I wonder when we will see busts from some of the Belgian WW1 aces, such as Willy Coppens de Houthulst, the famous "balloon buster" or Jan Olieslagers. Of course they don't sell but they would make interesting subjects nevertheless, even for the happy medal painters!

gettyimages-541024777-1024x1024.jpg url.jpeg

Just some chauvinist thoughts, don't want to hijack Nap's thread!

cheers,

Pierre
    captnenglish likes this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England

I would certainly buy either of those if sculpted ...we see none not only from Belgium but also Russia ...a big shame

If you have one lingering ........would linger less in my GA ......

Sent a message to MC ...nothing yet ?

The subject of the first brave pilots wether aces or not is a great thing to talk about so all fill your boots on this thread

Happy researching and benchtime

Nap
  14. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    One that would make a very interesting subject IMO is Pavel Vladimirovich Argeyev, a Russian officer who flew with the French, thus sporting an impressive array of both Imperial Russian and French orders & medals:
    Argeyev.jpeg

And of course, the leading Russian ace of WW1 Alexander Kazakov:
    kozakov.jpeg

So, for manufacturers in dire need of inspiration, there's still plenty of scope!

Pierre
    captnenglish and Nap like this.
  15. Airkid A Fixture

England

Propblast - thanks for the correction - I didn't make it up but I must be reading lower grade literature
  16. PropBlast Moderator

United-Kingdom

Sorry. I didn't mean to across as rude in correcting your statement. If you can get hold of the book Layfette Escadrille Pilot Biographies by Dennis Gordon then it is an invaluable book for WW1 French aviation research including that of Raoul Lufberry. Do you have a copy of that one Nap?
    Nap likes this.
  17. Nap Moderator

England

Not Yet Peter ! ...on my list !!!!

Nap
    PropBlast likes this.
  18. PropBlast Moderator

United-Kingdom
    How about Harry Fusao O'Hara? ohara.jpg
    captnenglish likes this.
  19. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Peter - no offence taken my friend. The WW1 air war is of great interest to me as an aircraft modeller. I have an idea I may have read the loose harness story in Alistair Horne's "Price of Glory". I will check. If it was Horne I am surprised, as his research is usually impeccable.

Phil
    Nap likes this.
  20. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Hi Peter

I found the source of my version of Lufbery's demise. It's in the book "America's First Air War" an Airlife publication authored c.2000 by Terry Treadwell, pp 83 & 84. My apologies are due to Alistair Horne for suggesting he was responsible :rolleyes: I will search out Dennis Gordon's book for sure.

Cheers

Phil
    Nap likes this.