1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Charge

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Jpzrfreek, May 7, 2005.

1. Jpzrfreek New Member

Hi Guys,

I have been going through some kits I have in storage and have come across a number of Historex horses.

What I am planning is to do something like the Charge @ Balaclava, I do not want the Light Brigade despite the "fame" but was planning on doing one of the other Brigades that charged. (If memory serves correctly the Heavy Brigade also charged as did another unit (Royal Scots or something like that)), It is this last unit I was planning to show.

I am not usually a historical modeller (usually stick with WW2) but it's a shame to let these horses go to waste, as they have some great poses that would not suit a horse drawn wagon in the 20th century.

I have no references so I do not know what I need as far as figures go, (obviously they will be mostly riders) but I do not know which would be the better figures to use as far as the Historex range goes.

I would also like to show figures (different theatres) of the Gurkha and Moari Wars.

Any Info would be greatly appricated

TIA

Phil
  2. rodsginger New Member

United-States
    Kia ora Phil
    What and where can I help you out with the Maori War stuff.
    How about doing some of these dudes?

Attached Files:

3. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Phil:

The Order of Battle for the Heavy Brigade at Balaclava was as follows:

1st (Royal) Regt of Dragoons - The Royals

2nd (Royal North British) Regt of Dragoons - The Scots Greys

4th (Royal Irish) Regt of Dragoon Guards

5th (Princess Charlotte of Wales's) Regt of Dragoon Guards

6th (Inniskilling) Regt of Dragoons.

As always Osprey books are a good start but the following are also excellent sources

Into the Valley of Death - John and Boris Mollo (and Bryan Fosten)

The Thin Red Line - D.S.V. and B.K. Fosten

British Cavalry Uniforms since 1660 - M. Barthorp (and Pierre Turner) essentially a best of Osprey plates.

Hope this keeps you busy

Cheers

Paul
  4. mahross New Member

Phil - The other unit that you are thinking of at Balaclava are the French 4th Chausseurs d'Afrique who charged the Fedoukine heights to help the light brigade.

Ross
  5. PHIL WALDEN Member

Kia-ora ROD,..Under done period in history, the fashion dress of the blokes posted was wide ranging, as was the Maori dress who fought along side them, as were the weapons. .... cheers mate PHIL.
  6. rodsginger New Member

United-States
    Kia ora Phil
    Kai te pehea koe?
    You are a hard man to contact. Emails keep getting flicked back.
    You are dead right about an underdone period. I remember doing a few in 54mm, AC, Militia and Brit regulars. I also had a ball doing some Wanganui Cavalry guys using Imrie Risley Civil War figures as a base then there were the Byllee [Francis] Turton figures. Remember those? I also managed to do some Maori War types for the Waiouru Museum in 80mm. What dizzy days they were. Seems like a life time ago.
    I am working on a 120mm Militia type as he would've looked in the Wellington area in the 1840s. Plans also to do an Auckland Militia guy in the 1850s or so. Plus of course a Forest Ranger or two and maybe the odd AC type.
    There are also some good dioramas on Maori War stuff in the QEII Army Museum at Waiouru done by Tim Ryan and team. And of course, Tim is the expert on this stuff doing some very, very nice Maori War stuff in a number of scales.
    Nough said
    Ka kite
    Rod